looks like I got scammed - $2,000.

• Members

Charles,

when you tell me to "Focus" that's insulting to me. Your posts and emails are full of that type of tripe.

You just called me a Liar, and you expect me to not be offended?

since English is not your first language, maybe that's why you don't find it offending, but I do, and have told you so.

I'm not avoiding anything. I have the number you ask for, and it's NOT a claim number, it's a CONTROL number. the last 4 Digits are 0374. between that and the tracking number, it's all that is needed to deal with the situation.

Ive just finished packing the Fader pack, and getting it ready to ship. Hopefully, you'll accept it and we'll be done wwith this chapter in our lives.

I'll provide a tracking number to you via email.

-Todd A.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Originally posted by Brittanylips

Hi Todd,

Sorry you are having these problems. If you made any mistake it was accepting the package after sufficient red flags had been raised. If you're dealing with someone who has already proven themselves to be irresponsible - before you receive the package - it doesn't make sense that they will be any more responsible after it arrives. Therefore, as soon as things go south, I would cut your losses (which amount to time and aggravation more than anything else), reverse charges on your card, and either reject the package or, since you already have it, send it back immediately.

These things can become black holes of time and aggravation that no one needs.

I stopped reading this thread after a certain point because I don't think the details are all that important after a certain point. You initiate a transaction, the seller does not deliver as promised, and you should simply get out of it - returning the product and reversing charges - immediately.

good luck!

My .02

-Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

Thanks, Brittany. In truth, I have no one to blame for this but myself- I should have walked away when I saw the ebay feedback. But I didn't, that's my fault.

Take care!!!!

-Todd

• Members

Dear Charles,

Fader Pack shipped.

It was interesting to speak w/ Rick Diebold again and too see the shocked and dismayed look on his face when I told him you were using him as a reference in the forum. To reiterate, Mr Diebold emphaticaly stated to me (again) that the packing was inadequate.

What's even more interesting was when I called FEDEX and found out that Mr. Diebold had no official comment on file w/ FEDEX regarding this situation, and was only noted on file that he was contacted in regards to this situation.

BTW, Mr Diebold is rooting for the Steelers in the Superbowl tomorrow.

-Todd A.

• Members

Originally posted by The Chinese

Thanks, Brittany. In truth, I have no one to blame for this but myself- I should have walked away when I saw the ebay feedback. But I didn't, that's my fault.

Take care!!!!

-Todd

I guess you really have to trust your instincts in these situations. I've bought a few things over the net, and so far so good, but you always worry that something like this will happen. Obviously, it's not your fault, but I guess you really have to trust your instincts.

In my mind, internet commerce is predicated on simple returns.

The very best argument, i suppose, that Mastersonics can make is: "we promptly shipped you a perfect unit as advertised." And even then, you should be able to return it if you aren't satisfied, and without any consternation.

There's absolutely no reason in the world why you should have to defend yourself in any way, or be drawn into any melodrama launched by the seller. Accepting the possibility that the buyer might reject a product is a normal and acceptable risk for any honest seller.

At any point in the process, you should be allowed to stop it, and without any resistance from the seller.

If Mastersonics doesn't accept your right to reject the product, then he is either not an honest seller, or he doesn't understand the dynamics of honest commerce on the net.

Well, both of you have PM'ed me and either asked to leave it open or said you'd be okay with it if I decided to leave the thread open... so for the moment, open it shall stay.

All I ask is that you each think carefully about what you have typed before hitting the "submit" button, and that you keep it as civil as possible.

I have not had time to read the whole thread - I'm dealing with a MIDI problem that is consuming all my time at the moment, but I shall read it - every word - later, and will respond if needed.

Remember the forum motto - "Be excellent to each other". :)

Thanks,

Phil

• Members

What I don't get is how this turned from a complaint and rebuttle into the medium used for communication between the two.

Each has said there piece, we all have our own ideas about what was wrong and right by this point.

Isn't it time you take this to email between each other?

• Members

AFAIK, this situation is over for me, as I sent thee Fader pack back to Charles this AM. Any remaining issue is between him and FEDEX. Hopefully Charles will let this issue rest at this point; I would strongly prefer that our Dirty laundry not be aired in public. This is not a who's right and who's wrong situation for me. I only maintained updates on this thread because of Phil's request that I do so.

The Bottom line is that I wish Mr. Rivera had informed me of his situation right away. I was genuinely in the dark until Wednesday morning when he finally returned my emails. for the record, I don't think his intention was ever to scam me. I feel he is telling the truth about his son, and hope for his son's speedy and full recovery.

However, none of this excuses the abusive language, racial insults, and the overall tone of his emails and posts- my emails were firm and strongly worded, but I refrained from profanity and direct insults. Basically when Mr Rivera elected to use this type of language I really turned off to the situation and refused to give him any benefit of the doubt. IMO, nothing I did warranted any of this.

Mr Rivera still has not accepted responsibility for the poor packing. The Pictures speak for themselves.

The Bottom line is that I am the guy who was out 2,000 for a fader pack that I couldn't use because Mr Rivera packed it inadequately. I was the guy who was wronged. Mr. Rivera expects me to go through a long process for his lack of care, and I find that to be an unacceptable set of circumstances.

This will be my last communique in this thread.

-Todd A.

• Members

Originally posted by The Chinese

I feel he is telling the truth about his son, and hope for his son's speedy and full recovery.

Mr Rivera still has not accepted responsibility for the poor packing. The Pictures speak for themselves.

-Todd A.

Todd,

Thanks for the comment on my kid

(we just took off the neck brace last Thursday.)

If you could've told me that back then

none of this situation might happened

that was the main catalyst for all of this.

I felt you were mocking me and my kid

and that WILL NEVER BE ACCEPTABLE.

Could you see it now?

This is the same and just like you keep

telling me about using "tone of voice"

As accepting full responsability for the package....

(And I repeat myself again and again)

It's not fair for me to accept any responsability

since and as per FedEx policy:

"The driver is not allowed to deliver a torn or damaged package

(like you shown on the pictures.)

Could you finally see my point in this???

I think i was very clear explaining this but

I guess not.

this led me to believe that something happened in

between when the package was delivered to you door

and when you actually picked it up.

so it would be safe to say.......

that if the package was delivered by the driver then

nothing happened to the box nor it showed any

signs of actual damage.

I'm positive that IF the driver saw that damage on

the box like you showed in your pictures.

he/she couldn't deliver the package to you (as per FedEx own policy)

and would've send it back to the station and reported

that the package was damaged in transit by FedEx.

Can you finally see my point in this Todd?

In all fairness ...........

I don't think you've been fair on a few topics:

but you keep throwing things at me

(just like in your last post)

"about me accepting responsability"

even when you decided to stop talking here.

You just want to be the last man standing

Todd

OK Fine

I'll shut my mouth but I need a favor from you first.

I will not accept anything until YOU

reply to all my valid questions.

I will not use any sort of insulting semantics so you

could answer to my valid questions and put and end to this.

I will number them

hopefully you'll answer them in that way.

You see Todd

I had nothing to hide from the beginning

that's one of the things that I've been trying to explain here all along.

I still believe that these are valid questions and that

if you followed them most of this mess never

would had happened.

here we go:

1. Not responding to my question regarding

me telling you about the fellow digidesign member

that I just made a pleasant transaction and told

you to contact him if you had any doubts.

a. Now you are telling me that you don't believe

I was trying to scam you?

I'm sorry Todd but that is not acceptable.

b. Why you didn't asked him in the first place?

c. If you asked him back then,

we were off to a good start besides whatever

happened in transit and you wouldn't need to

do this kind of (I've been scammed for $2k thread)

Don't you think?

Forever messing my reputation.

All you had to do was jot off a quick email on that monday saying this:

Todd,

My son has been injured and I have to deal with this unfortunate situation. I will send the fader pack as soon as possible. Let me know if this causes too much of a burden, and I'll refund your money.

Gee, that took all of 15 seconds to type, and would have prevented a lot of problems.

How in the world you can put it so easy!!!!????

It's obvious that you don't have kids Todd

again

How you want me to reply that way

if i was with my kid in the Hospital with

Xrays and CT Scans plus we were afraid there was something more since he was onconsious for 5 minutes.

What part of "REAL EMERGENCY"

you still don't understand.

It's easy for you to put it that way Todd

but heaven forbid that I say something within the

same lines because then I'm just unrationally wrong

and no matter what and so blindly,

you'll keep thinking that I'm scamming you.

Which lead me to the next topic.....

3. It was interesting to speak w/ Rick Diebold again and too see the shocked and dismayed look on his face when I told him you were using him as a reference in the forum.

It's NOT ok for me to do it,

but

it's ok for you to use and post an MP3 of

Mrs. Brewster on your answering machine.?

It would be interesting to see Mrs. Brewster face

when I show her that you used her voice as well in here for your reference and advantage.

NOW Todd

Don't go now and erase the MP3

for your convenience just like nothing happened

Come on Todd

You know you are not being FAIR "AGAIN"!

this is all I'm trying to explain here all along and

you just keep dodging my questions with something else.

How much more proof

you want me to show everyone Todd?

Hopefully Charles will let this issue rest at this point; I would strongly prefer that our Dirty laundry not be aired in public.

Todd

If that was honestly the case

you wouldn't go "ALL OUT" and

post a full thread on how I was scamming you for $2k.

Instead opting to show our DIRTY LAUNDRY for everyone to see and not to keep it to ourselves.

Plus that wasn't enough and on top of that

YOU openly "JOKE" about me.

without giving me a chance to defend myself and

show the other side of the story.

Is that not real offending Todd

then I don't know what it is?

But I didn't said anything about it or deviate from it

and kept trying to explain my point.

Again

you want me to believe that you are being fair?

Come on Todd

This couldn't be more obvious from your part

Now

I humbly ask you and with all the respect to:

"PLEASE ANSWER TO MY VALID QUESTIONS"

Hopefully you will not find any semantics that will make you fell that I'm faulting your respect because

honestly I wrote it with no intentions whatsoever to

harm you in any way.

Just "PLEASE ANSWER TO MY VALID QUESTIONS"

Come on Todd

At least I deserve an answer

Todd

I regret to tell you that we do

have something big in common:

"Go Steelers" :thu:

come on man

just in all fairness answer to my questions above.

and I'll leave it at that if you answer my questions.

I honestly don't and never had any beef with you.

regards,

Charles

• Members

Originally posted by Mastersonics

Todd,

Thanks for the comment on my kid

(we just took off the neck brace last Thursday.)

If you could've told me that back then

none of this situation might happened

Killing time before a musician arrives, I'll add my .02. Actually, I think I'm at .04 in this thread....

The situation with your kid is more important than any of this. I'm sorry he was injured and hope he recovers quickly.

But as far as this transaction goes, you're son has nothing to do with it. And what Todd says or doesn't say about your son is irrelevent.

As accepting full responsability for the package....

(And I repeat myself again and again)

It's not fair for me to accept any responsability

since and as per FedEx policy:

"The driver is not allowed to deliver a torn or damaged package

(like you shown on the pictures.)

In practice, FedEx drivers deliver torn and damaged packages. I know that I've gotten them. But that's not the issue as far as Todd is concerned. He gave you money and did not receive the item as advertised. From his perspective, it doesn't really matter who damaged it. He has a right to reject it.

If you buy a TV from Circuit City, and it arrives busted, you return it. Imagine if the sales guy at Circuit City justified a damaged TV with personal sob stories and passing the buck, and would not take it back. Are you OK with that? You just paid for a TV and it shows up busted, but, well, the salesman just had a personal problem, the shipping company was a little rough, I know you paid all that money but really, the gash on the plasma screen isn't really that bad....

Good faith buying and selling includes the right to return broken products without hassle. If you were acting in good faith, you would simply take back the thing, and return his money without fuss.

So, why not do the right thing, now and forever? Sell stuff with the good faith understanding that if it a customer is not pleased, you allow them to return it quickly and easilly. No sob stories. No tears. No passing the buck. Just honest, gracious, good faith buying and selling.

-PL&B

• Members
Originally posted by Brittanylips

Killing time before a musician arrives, I'll add my .02.

Actually, I think I'm at .04 in this thread....

The situation with your kid is more important than

any of this. I'm sorry he was injured and hope he recovers quickly.

But as far as this transaction goes, you're son has nothing to do with it. And what Todd says or doesn't say about your son is irrelevent.

Britanny

I apreciate your feedback and

your real concern about the health of my son,

but I digress

The situation with my son had

EVERYTHING to do with this.

Since this is why it took me the 3 extra days

to send Todd the package.

since I was in the hospital with my son.

I even explain on an email

that if by Friday I couldn't make it sending the unit

I will refund his payment.

I would apreciate if you don't really know the whole situation

(including emails from Mr. Anisman mocking me and

my kid's situation, which you haven't seen)

then just read along

although I respect your take on this matter.

Now Back to the Pre-Game

regards,

Charles

Mr. O'keefe

I really don't know what is wrong with keeping this

thread open now that I'm part of the thread

and why wasn't closed before when I didn't have

the chance to explain my side of the story and Mr.

Anisman was "Joking" about me.

Now that I'm finally explaining everything

in a rational proper way and with actual proof of

what is going on with Mr. Anisman.

thanks for considering to not delete this thread

and give a chance to finally clean my reputation.

sincerely,

Charles Rivera

President

Mastersonics Media Inc.

Again, as I said, I've kept the thread open, and BOTH of you have indicated that you're okay with that decision.

As far as me leaving it open before you arrived and started participating, I stand by that decision. It's an open forum, and if you disagreed with Todd's comments, you were welcome to register and respond - which is exactly what you did. :) So from my point of view, "no harm, no foul" - at least on my part.

Fair is fair. And I believe I've tried to be fair to both of you. I indicated to Todd that it was okay to voice his concerns, but also that fairness requires that he let us know if everything worked out okay in the end.

IMO, and this is JUST my opinion, there has been some serious miscommunication between the two of you. That's unfortunate. I also think the language issues might be contributing to that problem. :(

First of all, Todd's "joke" comment. Here it is:

The Joke here is FEDEX won't honor his claim, as it was shipped poorly.

IMO Charles, it appears that you may have misunderstood that comment and taken it as a personal insult, or making light of your son's accident, which from the context, it was not intended as either one IMO. Yes, Todd appears to have initially been suspicious of the accident claim, but that was probably due to the lack of communications, or the other problems that he was experiencing with the deal.

Remember, the original arrangement was for the controller to ship quickly, and while unforseen problems can arise, and apparently did in this case (I'm very sorry about your son's accident Charles, and I too wish for a speedy and complete recovery for him), when you're talking about $2,000 you've paid for something that hasn't shown up as agreed to, within the time frame agreed to, I can understand how someone might get nervous.

And IMO, when there IS a delay or unforseen problem, it is the responsibility of the person with the problem to contact the other party and explain the situation and work things out. :) In other words, if you're the buyer and an emergency comes up that will delay your payment, you need to contact the seller and let them know. Likewise, if you're the seller and a problem comes up that will delay shipment, it is your responsibility to contact the buyer and let them know about the situation. I realize that something like this will be the last thing on your mind when you have a sick or hurt child on your hands, but OTOH, a quick phone call would take less than five minutes, and would have possibly gone a long way towards clearing things up. That's why I recommend ALWAYS getting contact info - including phone numbers - when dealing with online purchases. And again, the person with the unforseen problem that is delaying their upholding their end of the bargain is the person with the responsibility to initiate that contact IMO.

Previous dealings with third parties (such as Charles' Avalon sale to someone else) are no guarantee of smooth transactions with other people - just evidence that the previous deals went well; which may bode well for the current and future dealings with that particular seller. That holds true of Ebay feedback too IMO. I appreciate that Charles provided Todd with that contact information, but beyond that, I don't see how that applies to this particular deal.

We can get into the FEDEX stuff, but that's not that big of a deal to me, and irrelevant in the long run. Yes, FEDEX isn't supposed to deliver damaged packages, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen sometimes. I personally have gotten boxes delivered that had obvious external damage. Fortunately for me, they were so well "overpackaged" that the internal contents were fine... but had they been marginally packaged (and IMO, your packaging COULD have been better Charles - I don't know if that's the cause of the bent faders, but on the other hand, after looking at those photos, I wouldn't rule that out either), that could have been a different situation. And when shipping something of great value, you can never "under-pack" it IMO.

Brittanylips had some good comments.

But as far as this transaction goes, you're son has nothing to do with it.

I agree. The only way your son's unfortunate accident has any relevance to this discussion is as an explaination for the delay in shippment. I think we all understand the priority is with your son and taking care of him. But again, a phone call or email explaining that is still your responsibility, and would have only taken a moment or two. And if things were so serious as to prevent you from doing that, then I would expect a bit of concern and unhappiness on the part of the buyer, and be willing to accept that - again, your child is the more important priority, and if you feel the need to attend to them, I can support that - but I personally would have been willing to take a little "heat" along with that decision.

In practice, FedEx drivers deliver torn and damaged packages. I know that I've gotten them. But that's not the issue as far as Todd is concerned. He gave you money and did not receive the item as advertised. From his perspective, it doesn't really matter who damaged it. He has a right to reject it.

If you buy a TV from Circuit City, and it arrives busted, you return it. Imagine if the sales guy at Circuit City justified a damaged TV with personal sob stories and passing the buck, and would not take it back. Are you OK with that? You just paid for a TV and it shows up busted, but, well, the salesman just had a personal problem, the shipping company was a little rough, I know you paid all that money but really, the gash on the plasma screen isn't really that bad....

Good faith buying and selling includes the right to return broken products without hassle. If you were acting in good faith, you would simply take back the thing, and return his money without fuss.

So, why not do the right thing, now and forever? Sell stuff with the good faith understanding that if it a customer is not pleased, you allow them to return it quickly and easilly. No sob stories. No tears. No passing the buck. Just honest, gracious, good faith buying and selling.

To me, that really sums everything up nicely. :)

If I sell something to someone, and they're not satisfied with it, I'll give them their money back. Personally, my reputation is more important than enforcing a sale when the other party is not happy. That doesn't mean I condone rolling over and being abused, but I honestly don't see that as the case in this situation. The product isn't what the buyer was expecting to get, nor in the condition they expected to have it show up in in exchange for their money, and they were wary and concerned after things didn't go down as originally arranged. if I was the seller, I'd chalk it up to bad luck and unfortunate circumstances, and accept the return, and look into my insurance for compensation on the damage. If the investigation by Fedex determined that the damage was due to improper packaging on my part, I would chalk that up to a "expensive lesson learned". :( If they determined that the damage was done by the buyer, then that's something I might consider taking further action on, or at least trying to work out a fair and equitable solution between us.

What I would NOT do under any circumstances is get ticked off at the buyer when the original delay was MY fault, and then resort to personal attacks and threats of violence. :( Once that happens, you can pretty much forget about ever getting a satisfactiory resolution to any disputes.

My advice for what it's worth:

Todd: Return the package, and stop payment.

Charles, take the return, then file an insurance claim.

Todd: Once Charles has taken the return, post (on every forum where you've described this situation) that it is resolved and that the seller accepted the return and that you're not out any money.

Charles: Pack your stuff a little better next time, and on big bucks sales, REQUIRE a signature for delivery.

Good luck to both of you - I hope it all works out okay for both of you, and Charles, I sincerely hope your son is doing better. :wave:

• Members

A) FedEx delivers torn and smashed up looking stuff on time every day.

B) The contents not being secure inside are more telling than the exterior in this case.

C) The faders are bent, what can anyone say except the simplest explanation is that Todd A didn't do it himself so he could post pictures online and amuse himself.

D) Best of luck to both involved.

War

• Members

The situation with my son had

EVERYTHING to do with this.

Since this is why it took me the 3 extra days

to send Todd the package.

since I was in the hospital with my son.

I even explain on an email

that if by Friday I couldn't make it sending the unit

I will refund his payment.

Hold on one second....

OK.... Almost there...

[Hoisting self back on soapbox...]

Almost....

OK!!! [standing firmly on soapbox]

Yes.

[exhales]

[inhales]

Giving him the option of refund is reasonable.

FWIW, I find that emergencies, unfortunately, often have a second wind, beyond what ever went wrong in the first place. The emergency is bad enough by itself, but then there's all the other little things - the sub-emergencies - that the main emergency sets in motion. You're driving to someone's house for dinner, for example, get in an accident, and not only did you get in an accident, but you're late for dinner.

So your emergency has this afterglow of problems that developed from it. Once Todd realized that your emergency was not concocted, it seems like he was willing to cut you slack.

But even if he wasn't, that's your emergency, not his, and if the emergency causes you additional problems, like loosing the sale, that's just something you must accept.

I would apreciate if you don't really know the whole situation

(including emails from Mr. Anisman mocking me and

my kid's situation, which you haven't seen)

then just read along

although I respect your take on this matter.

I apologize for budding in. If it's any consolation, my guess is that Todd is probably even less happy than you are that I am expressing my thoughts. As he reads this, he is probably thinking "yes, good, wonderful, now shut the hell up." Perhaps your mutual dislike for 3rd party intervention could be just the thing to bring you two together!

In any case, when personal disputes are aired in these forums, it often becomes a starting point for a larger, non-personal, and often more interesting debate. Admittedly, that's not what this is, but when you post something on a well travelled internet forum, you are inviting the world to participate.

So, I suppose, you have to put up with tripe like myself seeping in. I hope it isn't too unpleasant. There is a wierd vicarious entertainment value to it all that I can't quite pin down. And as I find myself yet again waiting for someone to arrive, adding my .02 (I think I'm up to .06), this is strangely diverting.

But back to the topic.

Sadly, Mr. Todd can mock anything he likes, and none of that has anything to do with your actions as a seller. Nothing he does justifies or excuses your bad behaviour. You should act honorably, and consistently, no matter what he does.

The delay in shipment, the misunderstanding, and the emails are water under the bridge. Where we are now is that you shipped him something that he doesn't want and are grumbling about his right to return it.

Forget about his mockery, his emails, and any skulduggery or rapscallion- like behaviour you have attributed to him. None of that matters. Quit grumbling and be an honest seller, or as the late Betty Friedan might have said, be a man.

Any honest seller would say "I am so sorry for any misunderstanding, any delay, and most of all, any damage. Please send it back to me at your earliest convenience so that I may reimburse your money ASAP. Again, my apologies."

That's what I would do.

That's what you should do.

And of course, what Phil said.

• Members

Well, my appointment came and went. Went well, by the way. I think I might hire this one...

In any case, I apologize for the blogginess of my response. But I did want to add - or rather subtract - one thing.

I would like to redact the word "sadly" from my response above.

Mock is mirth. And the world needs more mirth.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Just thought I'd revive this old thread to tell everyone the final resolution to this long year long saga...

Turns out Mr .Rivera uses the Family is sick excuse very often....to the point where others have posted about it...

http://forums.macnn.com/59/marketplace/289906/buyer-beware-the-shady-traders-list/

http://forums.macnn.com/59/marketplace/284371/mastersonics-is-a-scammer-fraud-alert/

Look for the post by deerock in the middle of the pages...

So turns out that Charles is the POS that I though the was. unbelieveable.

he he he.

Also, Just for the record, Charles also initiated a Paypal investigation that froze my Paypal account for almost 6 months, that only recently got cleared.

So, my lesson to you all is Buyer beware, and dont make the mistakes I did- Get the Phone Number, contact info, address and verify them. Don't be afraid to call, and certainly foillow your instincts- If you think you're being scammed, you probably are.

-Todd A.

• Members

What's switchboard?

He just emailed me back after 4 days, claiming his son fell and got "Whiplash". That doesn't add up...

I replied that i was no longer interested in doing business with him and asked for refund.

We'lll see what happens.

-Todd A.

I've read this pattern scores of times.

Now, for sure, stuff happens; musicians ARE flaky; kids do get sick; great aunts do die...

But over and over I've read stories like yours... it just seems like these guys keep coming up with one plausible excuse after another.

When they're on the buying end, one imagines, it might just be something as simple as cash flow. (And in the case of people who sell things they don't have yet -- as we must imagine some do -- it seems like cash flow can combine with seller issues on his end, as well.)

But all too often in these stories, it's the good guy looking for a decent deal (not even a "too-good" deal... WC Fields notwithstanding, a lot of folks DO try to cheat an honest man or woman) who ends up holding the bag.

Anyhow, it's a dang shame that folks like this screw it for the millions of legitimiate and responsible sellers and buyers -- but I'm afraid it's all part of the human comedy. It's just that sometimes it ain't so funny...

;)

BTW... if he posts here or you post something about this transaction at the DUC, be prepared for a blast of hostile, "wounded" emails from this guy. He'll say you're just not trusting or caring. He'll say you're jumping to conclusions. He'll say you're accusing him of being dishonest. Yadda yadda yadda... it's all part of the pattern.

• Members

I've read this pattern scores of times.

Now, for sure, stuff happens; musicians ARE flaky; kids do get sick; great aunts do die...

But over and over I've read stories like yours... it just seems like these guys keep coming up with one plausible excuse after another.

When they're on the buying end, one imagines, it might just be something as simple as cash flow. (And in the case of people who sell things they don't have yet -- as we must imagine some do -- it seems like cash flow can combine with seller issues on his end, as well.)

But all too often in these stories, it's the good guy looking for a decent deal (not even a "too-good" deal... WC Fields notwithstanding, a lot of folks DO try to cheat an honest man or woman) who ends up holding the bag.

Anyhow, it's a dang shame that folks like this screw it for the millions of legitimiate and responsible sellers and buyers -- but I'm afraid it's all part of the human comedy. It's just that sometimes it ain't so funny...

;)

BTW... if he posts here or you post something about this transaction at the DUC, be prepared for a blast of hostile, "wounded" emails from this guy. He'll say you're just not trusting or caring. He'll say you're jumping to conclusions. He'll say you're accusing him of being dishonest. Yadda yadda yadda... it's all part of the pattern.

He he he...You should read this whole thread, it's already happened. Bottomline is that Charles is a pretty nasty guy. But it wil all come out in the wash, the Post production community is actually pretty small, and people with nasty streaks rarely work for long. As for the DUC, yes there was a blast of Charles' vitrol, which was promptly removed from the DUC by the Mods after I asked them to lock the thread.

All in all, it was a difficult situation, $2k is a lot of money no matter who you are.

-Todd A.

• Members

He he he...You should read this whole thread, it's already happened. Bottomline is that Charles is a pretty nasty guy. But it wil all come out in the wash, the Post production community is actually pretty small, and people with nasty streaks rarely work for long. As for the DUC, yes there was a blast of Charles' vitrol, which was promptly removed from the DUC by the Mods after I asked them to lock the thread.

All in all, it was a difficult situation, $2k is a lot of money no matter who you are.

-Todd A.

Yeah... in catching up just now, I realized that a) I'd already posted in this a long time ago and b) I didn't finish reading earlier. I'm gonna go back through and get the nasty details.

And -- actually -- I realized just now that your story was one of the stories I'd heard... :D

(For some reason, I thought I checked the date on the thread and found it was started today. Go figger.)

• Members

Wow..

Seriously...

Wow...

I just sat here and spent 40 minutes reading this entire thread. Just like alphajerk said, I thought it was a brand new post that was just really, really, really popular..

This was captivating, and thechinese, that sucks you had to deal with that... That kinda stuff just sucks.

I was really enthralled there for almost a good hour. amazing. Bad experiences make good stories..