... one about headphones

Hi

A friend of the spanish forum asked this:

Is there a "de facto standard" studio headphones set, just as the SM57 is to microphones or the NS10 were once to monitors? -ok, for some NS10's are still unbeatable...

Just wondering... you know the deal: everybody uses them / loves them... affordable price ... trustable (YMMV of course).... headphones?

• Members

The Sony 7506's are fairly popular for tracking as I understand it, although I don't use them so can't say much about them. I only use phones for tracking but if you were using them in the mix stage for anything (in addition to monitors that is) you'd probably want more of an open design.

I don't think there really is Gus, but I am not basing that on any hard evidence.

Sony 7506's, Fostex T-20's, AKG K240's, Sennheiser HD280's, Ultrasone, Grados... all are fairly popular, and each have their fans. I don't think there's really any one model that is clearly dominating the studio market at the moment.

People need and prefer different things in their cans (fit, isolation, sound), so I like to have a variety of headphones around. I currently have Fostex, Sony, AKG and Extreme Isolation cans. The Extreme Iso's are a godsend for people who have to have to have a click, and who want it screaming loud in their cans - they really do eliminate click bleed issues. But if there's no click, Fostex T-20's can work fine for tracking, and I personally find them quite comfortable to wear for extended periods. I also prefer their sound over the Sony's, although the Sonys offer better isolation than the Fostex T-20's do, and are pretty dang popular - as close to a current "standard" as anything I suppose.

But what I'm lacking at the moment is a really good set of high-end cans. Ultrasone looked promising to me at one point, but Gearmike brought a couple of the Proline models by a few months back, and I wasn't that wowed by them. IIRC, Mike concured with that opinion, but I don't want to speak for him. Coincidentally, their rep called me this week to tell me to come check out their booth at NAMM - maybe they have some new stuff being released. I'm definitely going to go by for a look / listen. Of course, I'll observe and report... but you're going to be there too, right? :wave:

Grados are probably the nicest headphones I've ever heard, but RS-1's (the flagship models) will set you back about $700, and the RS-2's about $500. Definitely not cheap, and not something I'd want anyone else using - those would be "for me" - let the clients trash the $100 - $150 cans. ;) And Grados are open air headphones, so they're not something you'd usually want to use to track with.

So, what is everyone else using for their studio cans? (I'm betting we get a pretty wide variety of responses. :) )

• Moderators

Sony 7506's are what I'm used to. I started using them as ENG phones and I just stuck with them moving into studio work. I've got 3 pair.

Extreme Isolation for drummer tracking and sometimes vocal tracking (they're pretty dull sounding). I've got 1 pair.

I like the Fostex for midrange clarity though I don't own them. They're great when traking multiple guitars. They're a lot less hypey than the Sonys.

I liked the Ultrasones from last year's Namm but didn't take the plunge. Rather, I'm looking at some of the "6 pair for $99" kind of deals for the extras.

• Members

FWIW I also use the Sony's.

They have better than average low end extension.

Given the ususal nearfield monitoring and room issues this can be one useful way to asssess the lows.

They are also farily tight soundproofing-wise as needed for tracking.

• Members

AKG 270 :thu:

KOSS UR 30/29 ( great sounding-comfortable cans ... for about $20 !~!) :idea:

X DREAM for the wireless--a little pricey but quality ( no noise !) Lets me walk around the studio > moving mics and with immediate response & no cords while playing drums:cool:

• Members

I heartily second the opinion above that the Sennheiser HD-650 is the best headphone set made. Period.

BUT, they are NOT closed back headphones and are therefore unacceptable for tracking. But for sheer accuracy and comfort, they are sensational.

• Members

I have two pairs left, both reasonably priced sets.

The AKG K-66 is a very nice sounding pair of semi-open backs that actually work pretty well for mixing. They are comfortable and feel very light when worn so I can wear them quite a long time without getting a headache. They seem to be pretty good about reducing ear fatigue too.

On sale for $50.00.

Type: dynamic, semi-open

Frequency Response: 18-22,000 Hz

Sensitivity: 96 dB

Maximum Input Power: 200 mW

Rated Impedance: 32 Ohm

Distortion:

Cable: Single cord, app. 3m (10 ft.) long

Stereo Adapter: 1/8 in. to 1/4 in.

Weight: 210 g (7.4 oz.)

The closed back set is Aiwa HP-X223 and at a lower price point when I purchased them. I got them to replace a better set that were stolen. They feel a bit heavier though they're not, and are not quite as comfortable to wear. They seem to work pretty well for tracking, listening as one of the mix checks and general music listening when I don't want to disturb anyone else. They don't seem to be well suited for mixing.

One feature I like is a mute switch on the left earcup that, by depressing it, cuts the input and allows you to hear someone speaking to you.

On Sale for $30.00

Power handling: 1,200 mW

Sensitivity: 104dB/mW

Frequency Response: 5-25,000Hz

Weight: 210 g (without cord)

Mute Switch

38mm (1 1/2

Archived