Sound Card advice. New DAW

• Members

Howdy all.

My sister is soon going to be purchasing a new DAW and has asked my advice on what to get. I know most of the computer stuff she will need. I was thinking of acutually sending her to ADK computers since they seem relatively reasonable and are pre-configured for audio.

Anyway, the one thing I was not sure of is the soundcard. 5 years ago, when I was getting mine set up, I got the M-Audio Delta 1010 as it was about the best around for the money. However, I don't know what advances have been made since then. What's the best bet in the under $500 range?

Still M-Audio?

MOTU

Eidorl

RME

What do I need to look at? I've tried web searches, but no one seems to have any info on comparison between the pro-audio cards.

thanks

• Members

I took a look and the

RME w/ Mutiface box is about $900

MOTU 2408mk3 is about $950

The Delta 1010 is $400

in between is Lynx Studio Technology AES16 at $625 but it has no breakout box and I'm not sure how/what to connect it to.

Would one of these other options be a significant upgrade from the Delta series cards? Would she be better off spending the extra $400-500 for the upgrade?

Thanks

• Members

Picker... The Delta-1010 is a straight analog interface. No frills, like ADAT or lite-pipe. The Motu 2408mk3 will give you 8 analogs, plus 24 channels of ADAT and Tascam digital I/O. Also, the Delta-1010 has no form of meters on it. I use the Delta Panel to set mine with no issues. But, several people I've spoken with prefer to see LEDs on the face plate. Most people I talked to think the converters are relatively close in sound, and easy to get used to either way.

Are you just going to run preamp outs into the card? Is 8 channels enough? Then the Delta is going to be fine. Plus, you can get the ProTools *M-Powered* for around $250 (zZounds - ProTools M-Powered), if you like ProTools. It will make porting the mixes to studios easier.

I'm not familiar with the RMEs. But, the I knew who have them swear they are whole step up in clarity and quality.

Just A Note: When I bought my first Delta-1010, I found I was using up to 7 mics on the drum kits. So, I bought another Delta-1010. then, I had to sum their outputs together to be able to hear the channels from both interfaces during recording. Something to think about. If you are good with a soldering iron and et to that point, drop me an email.