Room treatment vs. coffee maker...

• Members

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

We use the RealTraps Vienna Deluxe grinder/coffee maker - you know the kind, I'm sure, it's the third generation of combination coffee maker/bass traps so popular in higher-end studios and Starbucks. It never fails to get compliments from clients.

Does it have a nice glowing 12ax7?

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Knight

I usually serve a double latte with a nice frothy layer of Auralex Acoustic Foam. Delicious, although totally ineffective below 125Hz.

:D Funny!!

Phil, is there any way to change this thread to make it look like I said that? :D

~~~~~~~~~

The Stranger, yes, in fact, it does have a nice glowing 12ax7, although you may wish to swap it out for a NOS tube for slightly smoother, creamier coffee.

• Members

I'm actually more concerned about the transformer. The output transducer plays a big role, too.

And where is Blue? :cry:

If I don't get some of his amusingly sage insights, I'm gonna have to just go domesticate. People like me really shouldn't be domesticated. :D And not without a proper dose of verbiage.

• Members

> Which is more important to getting quality audio?

Both.

I laughed when I saw Ken mention RealTraps because there actually is such a thing as a RealTraps acoustic coffee pot isolator:

coffee.jpg

It's a cardboard CD mailer box I use to decouple my coffee pot from the counter. It completely gets rid of the loud rumble so I can hear the radio in the morning while my coffee is brewing. Yes, I am absolutely serious, and this photo is not a fake.

--Ethan

• Members

That's a great decoupler, Ethan!!!

All kidding aside, even though your RealTraps don't make coffee, I absolutely love 'em. And so easy to install, even a moron like me could mount them from the ceiling. Just two of 'em made a huge difference in my control room. Two more were even better, but the first two resulted in a huge change in the imaging and a - I dunno what you call it - a tighter, "better" bass response.

• Members

I was gonna say it's all about the filters 'til I saw Ethan's percolator.

My family had a nearly identical percolator in the 60s (and in, oh gawd, one of the other two coffee threads I wrote about how I set it up and cleaned it as part of the allowance chores that allowed Garrard to rip me for a POS LAB 80 but that's another story)...

I remember everything from that funny topknot on the lid to the proprietary power cable (notice the taper where it plugs into the pot... Ethan can confirm, I think, that there are tiny finger grip grooves on it)...

Damn. That was a long time ago.

Archived