Here it is, Pro Tools w/ 48 tracks, Smack, SR, DINR, BD multi track, etc. - $495

• Members

Interesting that they say that 7.1 allows for both LE and M-Powered to run on the same computer allowing you to "easily switch between Digidesign and M-Audio interfaces to suit your changing needs". Hmmm.

While I'll likely be getting it, I think they

need to offer a track count-only upgrade. The package for the Hybrid, TL and multi-track BD, with the 48 mono/stereo voices, is pretty enticing, but the other stuff, many have or don't want/need. Unless they change it and make it customizable, it's an odd move. What would be cool is if Upgrade Plus (and even the standard upgrade) buyers got a nice little discount. Right now it's just rumors, hope, and speculation, though.

Peace

• Members

One thing to consider is having the power to use this. While we all would like higher track counts, this is still a host processor based app, and while the new intelmacs might have the gas to run 48 tracks with good plugin count, those of us still on modest windows machines, G-4's or even some G-5's won't.

• Members

Harmony-central's having issues with their site. The link is and was correct.

Nick, I routinely run 60+ tracks on projects I work on with plenty of plug-ins - 48 will not be any trick for my PC.

The horsepower days are pretty much gone.

I use:

Windows XP

Athlon 64 3200+

1 Gig Corsair TwinX Ram

etc.

Originally posted by shredfit

Of course, an AMD w/the right mboard, machine could run 48 with no sweat....

Doh!

Well, on the original Davec test, with my new system (AMD Athlon 64 4200 X2, Asus A8N-SLi Premium, 2 GB RAM, etc.), I "maxed it out" using PT LE 7.0 - 32 tracks, 128 aux returns, each with 5 plug ins inserted, with about 20% of the CPU power still remaining. I'd say that as long as my 7,200 RPM, 8mb cache P-ATA HDD's can hang with the increased track counts, my system is going to do fine with it... and if the HDD's do become an issue (unlikely, but possible), I can always go to SATA drives, which should handle 48 tracks just fine. :)

IMO, this was a very good move on Digidesign's part. :)

• Members

I'm afraid at $662 Aussie it's not an option for me.

Considdering that my computer wouldn't handle it, and I have only ever had one session hit 30 tracks, it's just not worth the money for me.

.... OTOH, if it included ADC, I'd be ordering right now!

.... I'll hang off for a bit. I doubt it's going to get more expensive if I wait.

• Members

Originally posted by LIMiT

Hey Guys,

did Digi mention any 'reduced' upgrades for recent upgraders to 7?....

I'm really only interested in the increased track count, and Beat Detective...

-LIMiT

I read somewhere (I believe it was the press release on HC's site) that says recent purchasers of PTLE7 would have a special offer (presumably a discount for what you already paid) that would be announced soon (i.e., monitor Digi's website for details).

--Mark

Originally posted by Red Winger

I read somewhere (I believe it was the press release on HC's site) that says recent purchasers of PTLE7 would have a special offer (presumably a discount for what you already paid) that would be announced soon (i.e., monitor Digi's website for details).

--Mark

Correct Mark, I've seen / heard that too, but I don't have the details on what that will entail yet. I spoke with a couple of Digi reps today, but it was chaos at the Digi booth, as usual. ;) I should know more when talk to them this week. Eugene said he probably wants me to review it for EQ, so I may get a jump on everyone else insofar as seeing it in action... but I CAN tell you that NAMM means "Not Available, Maybe March". ;):D IOW, it's not available yet, and Digi tells me that they're targeting the rollout for March. Again, I should know a bit more later this week, if not tomorrow.

I did pick up the new free synth plug in, so I can give that a try and let you know what I think - again, probably not until later this week.

• Members

Guys! $495 is not that much to pay for a perfectly acceptable number of tracks, SOUND REPLACER, DINR, SMACK, and MULTITRACK BEAT DETECTIVE!

The gap between LE and TDM has been closed significantly. Reading between the lines, I'd say TDM is losing a fair amount of ground for Digi to justify what they're doing. We've even got all the Oxford plugs coming out in RTAS now. Native.

Originally posted by Matt Hepworth

Guys! $495 is not that much to pay for a perfectly acceptable number of tracks, SOUND REPLACER, DINR, SMACK, and MULTITRACK BEAT DETECTIVE!

I guess that's subjective, but I agree with you Matt. And while I honestly don't know what they have in mind insofar as discounts for current PT LE 7 owners, even if they only knock a hundred bucks off it (to compensate for the cost of the 6.9 to 7.0 update we just purchased), and even taking into account the included plug ins that we may already have from our 7.0 upgrades (I selected Smack and Synchronic, and I already own SoundReplacer), a net price of $400 isn't really that outrageous IMO. I'll get DINR and multitrack BD, and more tracks. At least they made the option available - remember, up until now, 48 tracks on LE wasn't even available as an option without buying two hardware units and running two computers and synching them up.

The gap between LE and TDM has been closed significantly.

For some people. However, even with new dual processor / dual core, high-horsepowered computers, there are still some signfiicant advantages to HD. With 7.0, RTAS on HD systems has been significantly improved, and they can finally use RTAS with fewer restrictions, so they essentially get LE's RTAS capabilities and plug in counts (on a fast computer), along with the HD horsepower - and more horsepower is still more horsepower.
:thu:
Tracking latency is really a non-issue with TDM systems. Additionally, there are definitely better converters with the HD line, as well as significant I/O options and also I/O expandability beyond the LE 18 analog / digital I/O limit. And a LOT more tracks than a 48 track limit to boot.

Reading between the lines, I'd say TDM is losing a fair amount of ground for Digi to justify what they're doing.

That may be possible - I honestly don't know... but I have heard that LE systems far outsell TDM systems in terms of raw number of units shipped, which should really be no surprise. As far as percentage of corporate profits, I'm sure that's a closely guarded corporate secret, and I can respect that... but again, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that they make a significant percentage of their income off LE systems, and I don't think that it would be in their best interests to allow those sales to slip... which means "incentive to keep the new features and capabilities coming".

We've even got all the Oxford plugs coming out in RTAS now. Native.

Yes, but wasn't that Sony's decision, and not really Digidesign's?
:confused:
I know they originally didn't want to release RTAS versions because they were concerned about piracy... heck, maybe they still are... but maybe now they feel they've recouped enough off the TDM version to make an RTAS version release an attractive business proposition for them. All of which is pure conjecture / WAG on my part. If you know the specifics, please share if you can.
:D

• Members

Originally posted by Matt Hepworth

The gap between LE and TDM has been closed significantly. Reading between the lines, I'd say TDM is losing a fair amount of ground for Digi to justify what they're doing. We've even got all the Oxford plugs coming out in RTAS now. Native.

The Oxford plugs have been out for PTLE for quite some time now. Maybe at least a year or two. I think what it is is that they're offering all six in a bundle. Before, they were available in a few different "trios". Trio A had/has Inflator, EQ, and Dynamics, so if you wanted, say, the Reverb, you had to shell out for that, and individually they go for $3-400 (the Trio is just south of $700). I think I saw the "six pack" priced at just under $1100, which is great.

I'm glad that the discount is confirmed. That knocks a little off the load. I'm in the camp that thinks the price is really subjective (I think I'm lumped into the "complainers" camp about this over on the DUC). All I'm saying is, the entire package is a steal. A bonafide steal. But is it a steal when all you want or need is the extra tracks? Albeit it adds stereo voices, which is big, it's still only 16 extra tracks. IMHO, I don't think that alone is worth $495. However, in my case, I just want Hybrid, TL, and the tracks, and I think that's well worth the cost. YMMV.

Peace

• Members

$495 is not that much for all of this. i agree tho that if you have most of it already it really sucks. really sucks.

two weeks ago sound replacer was $400 and an upgrade to 7 was $100 which is basically the same price as now except you get much more. I'm still running 6.4 because its been solid, but this is very enticing to me.

did i mention i hate upgrading...such a pita.

• Members

HA,HA,HA.........Digidesign are just bending you Pro tools guy over again and giving it to you in the ass. I'm so glad I left PT and went to Cubase SX3.I've got unlimited tracks,better midi,better everything!!!! Stable as can be also. Just keep sending your $$$ to Digidesign. $495...............HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):thu:

Archived