A word of caution before purchasing at OWC (Other World Computing)

• Members

A word of caution if you are considering purchasing at OWC. This is hardly the worst case of ineptitude or bad customer service, but it's bad enough to warrant a warning post.

I have a 466MHz Digital Audio G4 (running dual boot 9.2.2/OS10.3.7, in case it matters), and successfully replaced the original processor with an OWC 1.5GHz upgrade processor.

But it's been a loooong journey to get there.

I purchased the first processor in Nov 2004 (14 months ago or so). It messed up a lot. The computer locked up, crashed, did all sorts of weird things. I called tech support. They said to lower the jumper settings. I did. It ran nominally better, but I still had major problems. I lowered the jumper settings again. It ran much better, albeit with glitches, but slowly but surely, more things started happening. iTunes didn't work well, and the computer began to freeze.

The computer one day stopped booting up. I called an Apple-authorized tech to come out. Not sure of what the problem was, he reinstalled everything. It worked reasonably well again.

Then in December 2005, the computer did not boot up again. Nothing. Couldn't boot up from the CD. I tried everything. I then replaced the OWC Mercury Extreme CPU with the original 466MHz processor. The computer worked PERFECTLY FINE, and all problems with iTunes and other odd little things immediately evaporated.

I asked for a replacement. They sent me a second OWC Mercury Extreme CPU, acknowledging (after I asked) that the first processor had indeed been defective. I noted on their web site that it now stated that the CPU came configured, and that no adjustment of jumper settings was necessary. I called to verify this. I then installed this second CPU. The computer did not boot up. At all. Nothing.

I sent the second one back and got a third one. Same thing upon installation. Nothing. OWC refused to give me a refund or another manufacturer's CPU even though they sell Sonnet and others, stating that I had exceeded the 30-day refund period, and that all they could do is continue to send me that exact model processor.

Great.

One of their technology gurus called me after I had wasted quite a lot of time on the phone (on hold) with them. He suggested that I lower the jumper settings.

I figured I'd try this out.

But when I took a look at their existing jumper settings and compared it to their accompanying Jumper Setting Chart, I realized that they thing had come shipped with a "jumper setting" that did not exist on their chart.

I switched it to one of their specified jumper settings and the computer booted instantly. I changed jumper settings to the fastest setting. Same thing, the computer booted instantly.

These OWC Mercury Extreme processors allegedly come pre-tested. On the third processor, they had assured me repeatedly that this one had been tested.

So if it's pre-tested *AND* OWC claims that you don't need to adjust their jumper settings, why was this adjusted to a non-existent setting that wouldn't work? Was the second processor adjusted to a non-existent setting as well?

I have no idea.

But at any rate, I wrote three of the gentlemen a polite email, asking these questions, three days ago.

No apology, no answer, no response.

The good news is that my computer is working really well so far. Pro Tools is running smoothly, and everything else seems to be operating well.

But I've not been impressed with how OWC Customer Support has handled this. And I'm not impressed with their inconsistency. I rarely complain about companies, but I'd have second thoughts about ever dealing with them again, especially with their processors.

~~~~~~

The current Jan 2006 issue of TapeOp has a review on the OWC Mercury Extreme Processor. I think it was the 1.5GHz one. The person mentioned that the processor they received had the seal busted open, and that the fan had been removed, which resulted in a bent post, and concluded that OWC had sold her a used or returned processsor.

• Members

About 2years ago i bought a 120 gig FW/USB external HD from OWC (Other World Computing) and about 1 year later our house was hit by lighting and destroy the HD.

I called OWC (Other World Computing) told them what happen and they said send it in. So i did and about 1 week later they sent me a brand new HD(The same model i had before).

I thought that was pretty sweet! Never expected that! I did lose 2 sessions that i could not replace but everthing turn out ok in the end for me. Now i backup everything on 3 HD.:thu:

~Bob

• Members

I'm happy to hear that *someone* has had a good experience with OWC!!! I haven't had to deal with their customer service before because their DVD-R drive and external firewire drives have worked really well for me.

But this ongoing fiasco with the jumper settings and not providing other options and inconsistent quality and sending a unit with completely wrong jumper settings is just to much for me. I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt, but after an endless parade of screw-ups and inflexibility, I have to post this as a warning to others. Few companies are all bad - I am sure there are plenty of people who have positive experiences - but judging from the plethora of posts, more than a few have had bad experiences with OWC. I'm through with them.

• Members

I've had good luck with OWC. Remember that aftermarket processors for Mac aren't qualified by Apple or any third party hardware or software manufacturer that I'm aware of, so you're kind of in no man's land. The jumper settings on the processors you received may have been optimized for a much more common machine, and OWC made the wrong assumptions.

There also seems to be a lot variation in G4s. I own one that Apple doesn't even appear to recognize as existing. It's a 1.25 Single Processor Firewire 400.

• Members

Originally posted by Zooey

I've had good luck with OWC. Remember that aftermarket processors for Mac aren't qualified by Apple or any third party hardware or software manufacturer that I'm aware of, so you're kind of in no man's land. The jumper settings on the processors you received may have been optimized for a much more common machine, and OWC made the wrong assumptions.

I'm actually happy that you and other people have had good luck with OWC.

I wouldn't want to wish what I went through on anybody.

I know that aftermarket processors are not qualified by Apple. Still, though, I would expect one of three processors to work and, more importantly, would expect a little customer service.

As you can see by the other thread in SSS, almost everyone there has had a very poor experience with OWC:

See other SSS thread here

As far as the jumper settings:

1.) The jumper settings on the processor that they sent did not exist on the Jumper Setting Chart they provided. It was, quite literally, a non-existent setting and would be a giant mistake any way you slice it.

2.) Since this was the third processor that they sent me, they wanted to pre-test it to make sure that it would work in a 466MHz G4 Digital Audio computer - the exact same computer I had. They had said that they happened to have the same computer and would test it.

3.) When I questioned them on it, sending my email TWICE to three people, no one ever responded to answer the question. Or apologize for six weeks of errors and nonsense. Nothing. Nada.

All of the above, in my opinion, add up to incompetence and really lousy customer service.

• Members

I have bought some memory and peripherals at OWC and have been very satisfied with my experiences. As a Mac-centric vendor, they were able to give me good advice. The prices were competative and the merchandise functioned well.

I do not wish to imply any guilt on your part. The company sold a piece of equipment. You read the system requirements, bought it and have every right to expect it to work.

I wish to share the following point. IMHO, I have come to the conclusion that it may be a bad stategy to try to upgrade older computers by loading them with new OSs and new processors. They were bult to work with one MP and one current OS. After years of experience with this, (albiet limited experience), I have concluded for myself, that with such upgrades, the best stategy is to save and upgrade the entire system at one time.

Please do not misinterpret what I am saying. You are fulling within your rights to expect better. I have also installed an upgrade card several years which still works. In hindsight however, knowing what I know now, I would advise against this, as I perceive that it is risky.

Yours, ES; :)

• Members

ES,

I have been thinking much the same thing. And even when doing this, I realized that it wasn't as ideal as getting a whole new computer (and now, of course, I feel that way even all that much more!).

But all the same, as you say, I do have a right to expect a product to work as claimed and not be shipped D.O.A.

Twice.

And I do have a right to expect customer service (they *still* haven't replied, and it's almost a week later; at this point, they won't, I'm sure).

Archived