Help micing combo amp.....clipping...

• Members

Originally posted by MrKnobs

Several things to discuss.

I don't own an AudioBuddy and have never used one, so I accepted Where's comments as correct and set about educating myself on the Audio Buddy. To my surprise, after spending about an hour on the manufacturer's and other websites, there was no definitive statement in the technical specs or manual indictating whether the AB operates at -10 or +4 dB.
:confused:

Worse, I couldn't even tell if the level control is a pad on the input or controls the output level. About the only thing I could conclude is that the Audio Buddy is very poorly documented.

Yeah the audiobuddy's a bit of mystery to me as well...the knobs seem to affect the inputs, since they affect the behavior of the clipping lights...which implies that the output gain is constant :confused: or somehow proportional to the mystery knob :confused:. I guess they tried to dumb it down for your average user, and to their credit...it's a better sounding preamp than my ART tube pre (at least what I've recorded with my acoustic to date), which has more features (like input AND output knobs)

You don't need anything expensive to fix this problem. You just need an attenuator cord or a couple of 50 cent resistors soldered together as a voltage divider. Last time I checked, Radio Shack sold a cable with a resistance attenuator inside it, or you can easily make your own with the two resistors, or possibly even one.

Terry D.

Thanks for the thorough explanation -- lots of food for thought.

I got sidetracked from my clipping issue by this soundcard discussion, I'm thinking I'll upgrade my card regardless of the AB clipping thing.... I'll try the radio shack solution, or I'll just use my ART tube pre which can get down low enough to not clip. Or I'll try to move the mic away....I've got me some playing around to do in the 'studio' :)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, Much appreciated!

:cool:

• Members

Regarding -10dB vs +4dB: This is just not a big deal from your perspective. The only thing that makes it a big deal in this case (if indeed this is what your problem is) is that you have a signal mismatch between the output of your AudioBuddy and the input of your computer soundcard.

And the reson why the poster has a mismatch is because the pre out is +4 while the soundcard in is -10.

It is a very big deal, it is the "deal". With a +4dbu input sensitivity soundcard there is no issue.

• Moderators

Originally posted by where02190

And the reson why the poster has a mismatch is because the pre out is +4 while the soundcard in is -10.

It is a very big deal, it is the "deal". With a +4dbu input sensitivity soundcard there is no issue.

Then it's a very big deal that can be fixed with two fifty cent resistors or an $3 attenuator cord from Radio Shack.

Terry D.

• Members

Sure if you don't care about the quality of the audio.

Big difference between "caring about" and "needing" or "being able to afford." Not everyone needs audio performance to be at "X" level. Or perhaps he can't afford the sound card upgrade right now. If he's just recording guitar clips for his buddies, he can definitely get by with an attenuation device of some sort. His clipping will go away.

That said, I think this forum is geared toward pro/project studios so most of the people in here wouldn't accept the sound quality of a Soundblaster. Personally, I like my Echo Layla but even that wouldn't be good enough for a lot of the posters here.

• Moderators

Sure if you don't care about the quality of the audio.

Resistors have a tone now? :D

OK, so splurge and spend a buck apiece and buy two precision, metal film resistors instead of the carbon ones. Although personally, I think the carbon ones sound more "vintage."

You do understand the difference between +4 and -10 dB is voltage level, right?

Please tell me you're kidding. :freak:

Terry D.