Looks like I got scammed on eBay too!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just clearing up a few UPS misconceptions, it wasn't Kid Klash mistake not insuring the adat, only the person shipping out the package would be setting the insurance amount, and the money would have ended up being issued back to the person who ripped him off anyway(or possibly first to the location from which he shipped it then relayed to the ripper offer.). He may have been able to issue a pickup at the ripper offers house, I'd give him a 50/50 chance of being able to get ups to pay out a claim on an ADAT that he never knew to be working anyways.

My second point is $100 insurance isn't "automatic". The first $100 of insurance is free, but an item worth $50 insured for $100 will get you...$50. That's if it's something they consider insurable in the first place.

• Members

Originally posted by snarlz

Just clearing up a few UPS misconceptions, it wasn't Kid Klash mistake not insuring the adat, only the person shipping out the package would be setting the insurance amount, and the money would have ended up being issued back to the person who ripped him off anyway(or possibly first to the location from which he shipped it then relayed to the ripper offer.). He may have been able to issue a pickup at the ripper offers house, I'd give him a 50/50 chance of being able to get ups to pay out a claim on an ADAT that he never knew to be working anyways.

My second point is $100 insurance isn't "automatic". The first $100 of insurance is free, but an item worth $50 insured for $100 will get you...$50. That's if it's something they consider insurable in the first place.

Thanks for the info.

The scumbag CALLED me yesterday and said he was going to paypal me $100 - take it or leave it - and I said "there was nothing wrong with the (larger amount of) money that I sent to him, unlike the thrashed p.o.s. ADAT he sent to me, so I still expect a real refund". So he says "bye" and slams the phone down. Jerk.

Now I'm waiting for more instructions and documentation requests from eBay.

Document the call too - just in case. Every word of it that you can remember, as it was said in sequence and by whom. Do it now while it's fresh in your mind. Date / time etc. too. Write it all down. You can never have too much documentation. ;) And if he calls again, always remember that whatever he does, you have to stay calm, focused and firm. Don't give him any ammo by losing your cool.

Good luck - and please keep us updated on the status / outcome. :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Document the call too - just in case. Every word of it that you can remember, as it was said in sequence and by whom. Do it now while it's fresh in your mind. Date / time etc. too. Write it all down. You can never have too much documentation.
;)
And if he calls again, always remember that whatever he does, you have to stay calm, focused and firm. Don't give him any ammo by losing your cool.

Good advice. I'm writing it all down.

I'm calm by nature, and I could tell it unnerved him when he called... I was very relaxed, kept to the facts, and didn't become emotional (unlike him).

• Members

it feels just wrong that i am way too excited seeing these disputes unfolding. i am so sorry, i will try to get a life.

i am lucky to live in new york city, as i do get a lot of local deals when it comes to big purchases. even then, i still try to purchase from businesses if i have a choice, because of things like this.

very best of luck to both of you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The thrashed ADAT was returned to me last week... the jerk wouldn't take it back. He's not returning my Emails either...

I received an Email from eBay, stating that they're looking into my case, and I should expect to receive a request for more information for them to review, including a letter from an expert stating that the ADAT is junk. Maybe they'll settle for some photos of the display with the eR2, because as I'm finding out, there aren't many places that even work on ADATs these days. Most of them want me to ship the unit to them and give them $60 before they'll even tell me if they can repair it or give me a quote.

The local shops don't even want to look at it with this problem...

• Members

Publish his address and phone number, along with a link to this post on every audio forum, and make sure to send him links. If he ever wants to sell anything again, he'l wake the f*ck up quick. You may also find others he's scammed, band together and take civil or even criminal action against him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Yesterday, I received an Email from eBay... they've assigned an investigator to my case, assigned a claim number, and requested lots of information, which they gave me 14 days to fax to them. I spent yesterday afternoon putting all the information together, including a two page synopsis of what happened, and faxed it to them.

I received another Email from eBay today, confirming that they received all the info, and asking where to send the money, if my claim is approved.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

• Members

with regard to that, i just got an email after the auction was pulled:

Hello Mr.Sean ,

I want to make a fast deal so i`m ready to close a deal with the first coustomer who can offer a good price.I will also make the shipping first like a warranty from my side and i will like the payment to be made in 24 hours after you check the Tracking Number and see the status of the package.Let me know your best offer.

Thank you in advance!

like an idiot, the guy put up a picture of the serial number while the auction was up. so now i've got some messages to post and phone calls to make.

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Documentation is
crucial
- and it sounds like you have all your ducks in a row on that.
:thu:
Please keep us posted - I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
:)

Thanks Phil - will do!

PS : my fax to the eBay claim adjuster was 15 pages long ;)

• Members

I have made maybe 250 purchases over the last couple of years on eBay. These are some of my suggestions for those who are just entering the market.

1 - It's always "Buyer Beware." Do your research on the seller.

2 - I always send an email on any somewhat costly item to see if I get a response whether I have a real question or not. If I fail to get a reply, I don't guy. It's as simple as that. Ask particulars about the item to great extent if it is an expensive item. Many flaws are hidden by camera angles, dark images, lack of pictures altogether and other subtle verbal shadings. Be specific in your questioning about cosmetics and functionality. Always get a quote on insured shipping BEFORE bidding. IF THEY DON'T REPLY: DON'T BUY.

3 - Research his Feedback first. Although Feedback is generally bogus. The reason being if you drop a negative on somebody, they are bound to drop one back on you for retaliation when you don't deserve it. So many buyers are hesitant to leave negatives. Don't trust Feedback and definitely avoid those with less than 98% positives.

4 - Click on "Feedback Left For Others" in the seller's Feedback section. You'll find that some people with a couple thousand sales never bother to ever leave a positive feedback for others. They have your money: Case closed. I avoid these types as you're liable to have problems communicating with them if there is trouble with the item you won.

5 - I use only PayPal for any item that costs more than $25/50. Paying with a check or money order on a large ticket item is a formula for difficulty should there be a problem with the item.

6 - I have had problems with numerous wins: faulty drum machine, bent microphone, scratched "new" CD, etc. I have been able to work out most problems, but not all. I'm currently waiting on a pickguard that I won a month ago. You should hear the excuses I'm getting.

7 - Always insist on insured shipping for any costly item. I had a $400 Roland GR-33 Guitar Synth be delivered to a house down the block and never recovered by UPS. I did get my $ back but it took about 6 weeks. I've also had guitars, a mixer, and other items delivered in battereed boxes, as well as other items left out in the pouring rain (UPS).

8 - Don't hesitate to ask the seller to pack your item a particular way. I'm astonished at the lack of care some sellers display in packing their wares. I still haven't cleaned out an amp I received months ago that has styrofoam peanuts wedged up into various areas of the head and speaker areas. The Dufus should have put the open-back amp in a plastic bag first but the amp came loaded with those pain-in-the-ass peanusts all wedged up in sensitive areas. This type of thing has happened to me several times.

9 - Is my Lucky #

10 - Beware the Evil eBay. It is my drug. I can't stay away from it. I bid/win things that I absolutely don't need presently (but I may 5 years from now!). Somebody stop me!:freak::eek::confused:

• Members

I agree, I always use paypal and I will not bother if the dealer does not have a great ebay history. I also contact them first to see if I get a response. If they don't respond when trying to sell it they definitly won't respond after it is sold.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, it looks like I'm screwed.

The eBay claims adjuster said he won't accept my documentation unless I get an official, in writing, repair quote or appraisal from a repair facility, written on their letterhead. Or, if I prefer, I can send the ADAT to him, and he'll evaluate it, but they will keep it, not send it back to me, regardless of what they find or what decision is made about my complaint. This sounds like another scam to me.

The two places in Portland that work on ADAT's want a minimum of $60-100 just to look at the ADAT and verify that it's not working, then when I said I needed the quote/appraisal for an eBay fraud complaint, they didn't want to touch it.

I found a place in L.A. that said they'd "look at it" for a minimum of $60 (plus $30 for shipping to them and another $30 to ship it back to me), and a well known repair facility in Manhattan is willing to "take a peek under the hood" for $100, with an average repair cost of $250-$375, plus the cost of shipping the unit both ways.

This specific ADAT is one of the first generation units with the silkscreened logos, and even though it has a version 4.03 eprom in it, it looks like the other hardware mods have never been done to it. So even if the motion sensor switch was repairable, it still won't work without all the other mods.

I'm definately screwed. :mad:

I think I'll just have to eat what I've got into this old turd (around $214 now) and chalk it up to "eBay buyer beware".

Archived