Royer 121 vs AEA R92 or AEA R84

• Members

Decisions, decisions, want a ribbon for elec guitar:

Royer 121 $1100

vs

AEA R92 $825

or

AEA R84 $1000

Fletcher's web site describes the R92 as good for placing fairly close to the grill.

I spoke to someone and they felt the Royer more sturdy for the job.

This is in a studio where the most powerful amp is a 50 watt Marshall Stack. Won't be using it for bass.

Any thoughts?

• Members

The R92 would be an excellent choice, it was made for close work and has been tuned to have less of a proximity effect. The more open high end can make it more well suited to other uses as well like acoustic, although I still find my R84 to be the go to mic for BIG.

War

• Members

The September 2005 and November 2005 issues of Electronic Musician have some excellent reviews of ribbon microphones.

The Royer 121 and 122 get excellent reviews in any ribbon mic shootout.

The AEA mics seem pretty good, but I think after reading everything I can find, I would get a 121 because of the multiple sources it sounds good on, which was pretty much everything.

The R84 was not a first choice pick for electric guitar, nor was the R94. The 84 was considered "warmer" than the 94 but neither were rated nearly as good as the 121.

• Members

After all this reading here and there, and hearing the results first hand from Rear Window studio in Brookline MA, I ordered a Royer 121 from Mercenary. Just waiting for them to get it and then I'll drive down to Foxboro and pick it up.

Thanks all for the responses.

• Moderators

I've just had my 121 for a short time, but so far not all that thrilled with it. It has a very "metallic" sound. Still working with various placements, but haven't found an arrangement where it sounds better than a Senn 609 on a guitar amp.

The "figure of eight" pattern is very useful, though. Those nulls are really nulls!

Terry D.

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Soundelux wasn't at NAMM.
:(
But then again, I don't recall them being there last year either. They're more of an "AES show" type of company.
:cool:

I thought I saw something about them releasing it for the last AES, then they said they would delay it till NAMM. :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just got back from a snowboarding vacation in VT. Finally picked up the Royer 121 and tried it as a room mike for drums. The mic did not dissapoint. The brochure with the mic claims that the microphone reproduces what you hear and I must say that in my first application with this mic, the mic lives up to its manufacturer's claims. I used it with my Amek board's mic pre and I had more than enough gain.

I'm looking forward to using it with some guitar amps this afternoon

Archived