Replacing EMG Covers?

wtfg89

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

or getting your ass out of my thread.......homo........

anyways. the 30th anniv. editions are WAY too expensive and aren't the greatest looking. cant you pull an EMG apart just like other pickups?

• Members

Originally posted by RockinIt

or getting your ass out of my thread.......homo........

anyways. the 30th anniv. editions are WAY too expensive and aren't the greatest looking. cant you pull an EMG apart just like other pickups?

I dunno. I've often wondered this. I'd love EMGs with solid chrome or chrome with polescrew covers. But they don't ever seem to offer 'em. You can get some of them in white, if that helps.

Oh yeah, and *bump* :)

//S

• Members

Originally posted by TheGZeus,OnFire

Or spending ludicrous amounts for 1970s technology.

This, I actually totally agree with. See, technology that's over a half second old is just ridiculous! I mean, sure, the electricity, phone lines, keyboards, monitors, computers, the internet, and online message boards were all around at least 10 years ago, but dammit, it's gotta be new!

Yes, rather, seek non-active humbuckers, which were of course invented 3 minutes ago.

//S :rolleyes:

• Members

hahaha.

il ressurect this thread for the morning crew. i could have SWORN someone had posted about taking apart their EMGs. it'd probably be alot more cost effective to get the covers. and mold them down on the inside to fit on the emg. make the covers fit the emg not the emg fit the covers. ya know?;)

• Members

Originally posted by Shocker

This, I actually totally agree with. See, technology that's over a half second old is just ridiculous! I mean, sure, the electricity, phone lines, keyboards, monitors, computers, the internet, and online message boards were all around at least 10 years ago, but dammit, it's gotta be new!

Yes, rather, seek non-active humbuckers, which were of course invented 3 minutes ago.

//S
:rolleyes:

...and of course passives cost what, 1/3 the price?

EMG prices their products far higher than any other manufacturer despite NO R&D in 30+ years and all they do is make a NORMAL passive and put a preamp in it.

DiMarzio has several new patents on various technologies involving differnt tonalities and noise reduction, and even Duncan works at coming out with at least MODERATELY innovative products.

Lace Sensors are FAR more complex, and actually DO offer what EMG only accomplishes with what amounts to internal EQ curves and compression(and the compression comes from a low-headroom preamp). Hell, they even make lower-impedence pickups with the same output.

EMG makes NORMAL impedence pickups, then puts a low-impedence out on their preamp.

OOooooo.

There's nothing to justify the price.

• Members

lol Gzeus your so funny sometimes.the way you put that last sentence made me think of someone being really serious......

i get EMG pickups for i THINK around 65bucks each at my local guitar store. they sell the ZW set for $149.99

think about all the other super expensive pickups that you only get the pickup. no special upgraded wiring,pots nor do you get it PREWIRED. i love the way EMGs sound. will that make you not want me in a family way?

• Members

...and of course passives cost what, 1/3 the price?

EMG prices their products far higher than any other manufacturer despite NO R&D in 30+ years and all they do is make a NORMAL passive and put a preamp in it.

DiMarzio has several new patents on various technologies involving differnt tonalities and noise reduction, and even Duncan works at coming out with at least MODERATELY innovative products.

Lace Sensors are FAR more complex, and actually DO offer what EMG only accomplishes with what amounts to internal EQ curves and compression(and the compression comes from a low-headroom preamp). Hell, they even make lower-impedence pickups with the same output.

EMG makes NORMAL impedence pickups, then puts a low-impedence out on their preamp.

OOooooo.

There's nothing to justify the price.

Let's see, taking the average of prices I've paid for EMGs (I now have 7 EMG pickups), one was $99 new, the others were all used - an 85 for $55 shipped, a pair of 81's that came in a $700 Explorer, and 3 in a $285 Pacifica 1221M. The average used price for an EMG is around $50-$60, which is the average used price of a good passive (see the prices on used JBs or '59's). The 3 used ones that came by way of the guitar I paid $285 for in total, even if you were to discount the fact that it comes with a guitar and HSC and shipping, still comes to well under the retail price for each pickup new, and not far above the maximum price for each pickup used ($60 x 3 = $180).

EMGs aren't overpriced. They can be found for far less than retail with the simplest bit of effort (someone spammed tonight for an EMG 81 for $50). They are a very simple, distinct, proven sound that people like, at a pricepoint not dissimilar to other similar offerings (Duncan JB street price: $69, EMG 81 street price: $99). This is not a Gibson vs. Agile comparison where one costs 10% of the other, you're talking about a $30 difference (note EMG's come with potentiometers, input jacks and capacitors prewired, as well as the quick-connect system).

The fact that YOU don't like them doesn't make them suck or make them overpriced. Your argument has no semblance of validity, and it'd be a real pleasure if you'd stop trolling these threads.

//S

• Members

lol Gzeus your so funny sometimes.the way you put that last sentence made me think of someone being really serious......

i get EMG pickups for i THINK around 65bucks each at my local guitar store. they sell the ZW set for $149.99

think about all the other super expensive pickups that you only get the pickup. no special upgraded wiring,pots nor do you get it PREWIRED. i love the way EMGs sound. will that make you not want me in a family way?

it'll sure make me hate your tone, that's for sure.

They've come out with 2 new pickups in 20 years.

They didn't even bother to build a different cover for them. "Put them in a bass pickups case. If they want our pickups, they can use a router."

They're the most arrogant stupid company I've ever seen that wasn't 'boutique.'

Well, next to Gibson.

There's no upgraded wiring, unless you mean the easily reversed quick connect cable thing, which can be purchased at Radio Shack.

The anniversar models are a joke, at the very least.

• Members

Originally posted by Shocker

Let's see, taking the average of prices I've paid for EMGs (I now have 7 EMG pickups), one was $99 new, the others were all used - an 85 for $55 shipped, a pair of 81's that came in a $700 Explorer, and 3 in a $285 Pacifica 1221M. The average used price for an EMG is around $50-$60, which is the average used price of a good passive (see the prices on used JBs or '59's). The 3 used ones that came by way of the guitar I paid $285 for in total, even if you were to discount the fact that it comes with a guitar and HSC and shipping, still comes to well under the retail price for each pickup new, and not far above the maximum price for each pickup used ($60 x 3 = $180).

EMGs aren't overpriced. They can be found for far less than retail with the simplest bit of effort (someone spammed tonight for an EMG 81 for $50). They are a very simple, distinct, proven sound that people like, at a pricepoint not dissimilar to other similar offerings (Duncan JB street price: $69, EMG 81 street price: $99). This is not a Gibson vs. Agile comparison where one costs 10% of the other, you're talking about a $30 difference (note EMG's come with potentiometers, input jacks and capacitors prewired, as well as the quick-connect system).

The fact that YOU don't like them doesn't make them suck or make them overpriced. Your argument has no semblance of validity, and it'd be a real pleasure if you'd stop trolling these threads.

//S

Pots are friggin' cheap, and I've already said the 'quick connect' can be made from Radio Shack parts and is easily reversed.

THey don't even MARK the things.

You'd think they could get the SCHEMATICS they send out with them right, at least.

The leave out ESSENTIAL parts, draw them out from the FACE of the guitar, which does NO ONE good, unless they want the bridge pickup to work in the neck position of their fat strat, and

$99 is STILL silly when there's NO R&D work.

Tone is subjective(and GOD do I hate the tone that comes out of THESE) and a 10% difference, when subjective, should have no bearing on price.

Solid state electronics have advanced quite a bit over the last 30+ years.

They could improve their pickups, but they don't.

They sit on their laurels with their artificial sustain from preamp clipping, false claims of a lack of string pull(a 10k pickup with overall normal contruction save blades rather than poles will and DOES have a fair bit if string pull. Stick a paper clip to an EMG, now try it with a Lace Sensor), and an EQ PRESET built in.

Why not get a set of low-output passives, a compressor, and a parametric EQ?

now YOU control all the things EMG preset to begin with, and you only had to do it once.

• Members

did EMGs rape you when you were little?

They rape my ears whenever I have to hear them.

Bad tone for high prices pisses me off.

Gibsons are just as bad, bad playability for a high price. Bad finishes to boot.

Do they even HAVE a QC department? If they DO, i'd hate to see what gets rejected! *pictures a guitar with the fingerboard on the wrong side*

• Members

They rape my ears whenever I have to hear them.

Bad tone for high prices pisses me off.

Gibsons are just as bad, bad playability for a high price. Bad finishes to boot.

Do they even HAVE a QC department? If they DO, i'd hate to see what gets rejected! *pictures a guitar with the fingerboard on the wrong side*

EMGwn3d. :o

Archived