Help! My MOTU 828 passed out!

• Members

I'm hoping it didn't die :(

It was working fine previously.

Today, no power.

Tried a different power cord, plugging direct into the wall (no surge/power strip etc.) nothing. Won't start. No lights on the panel, nuthin. :mad:

I'm guessing there might be a fuse on the internal circuit card. Any tips on opening the case?

I have an e-mail in to MOTU tech support, but I'm anxious.

• Members

Bill, do you have a volt meter? If the Motu is out of warrantee, and you are comfortable with testing cicuitry... I'd try to follow the power path. Sometimes, rectifier diodes pop, or voltage regulators. I'd look for a fuse, first. Then, track the voltage.

Once, I had a mechanical power switch lose the copper slider that makes contact on power up, on a preamp. After soldering a jumper, it was always on.

Good luck!

• Members

So any tips on opening the case?

I took out all the screws I could see that went through the top/back cover. There seems to be some sort of interlock where the top of the cover meets the front panel.

I don't want to force or pry to strongly. My luck would be to slip the grip and fling the unit across the room and through a window.

Is my first move sliding the cover piece up or backwards?

• Members

Dammit, Bill...now your MOTU virus has made it's way over to me. In the middle of tracking, this afternoon, I suddenly lost the ability to monitor input on channel 7. It records, but I can't monitor it while tracking.

Damn you, Billster. Damn you, I say.:mad::freak:

• Members

For the record...

It's a 125 mA/250 volt fuse, immediately on the side of the circuit card where the power cable comes in.

The cover comes off very easily when you put your glasses on and see the two screws you missed the first time :rolleyes:

Replace fuse, good to go. Firewire hub is acting up, but plug directly to computer and I'm in.

Originally posted by offramp

Dammit, Bill...now your MOTU virus has made it's way over to me. In the middle of tracking, this afternoon, I suddenly lost the ability to monitor input on channel 7. It records, but I can't monitor it while tracking.

Damn you, Billster. Damn you, I say.
:mad::freak:

Not my fault! Not my fault! Keep a piece of tin foil nearby all winter to discharge the static before touching anything electronic.

You didn't happen to be tracking my drums, were you? ;)

• Members

Originally posted by blue2blue

Gee... I have to take my glasses
off
to see those screws...

Trifocals and not a single lens is ever right... I wonder if it's too late for eye exercises...

Yeah, actually I do take my glasses off for the up-close work. I'm nearsighted - OK to about arms length, the glasses get in the way up close. The black-on-black color scheme doesn't help. If the face plate is black, the screws should be shiny :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by shniggens

I've had ALOT of problems with my 828. I wouldn't buy another one, that's for damn sure!

That's the first I've heard of anyone having chronic problems with a MOTU product.

Were you using it with Windows or Mac?

Archived