isolating headphones

• Members

Originally posted by zkaudio

I have at least 20 sets of in ear monitors laying around here, all models, from westone to shure and everything in between. I can say, that even with the multiple driver iems, the quality is not even CLOSE to over the ear cans. So if you are purely using them for rough mic placement, etc, they are ok, but I have plenty of iems and am still desperately wanting some heavily isolating cans for my studio.

Thanks for the reply!

Hmmm, that's too bad. I was hoping the E2cs would be a good compromise since they're ranked at the same decibel reduction level and would work for an mp3 player in public. But, since I do most listening indoors and want good sound quality, I think I'll go with the extreme isolations.

• Members

I think you'll be happy with the extreme isolation headphones. Once you have them on, you'll probably realize that all the microphone placement you've done on sources like loud guitar amps to date has been pure guesswork.

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

The one thing I've heard occasional complaints about with the Extreme Isos is the vise-like grip, but the folks at Direct Sound told me the secret to that is to open them up a sit them across the arm of a couch for a night or two. That usually loosens them up enough to make them more comfortable. They don't have to crush your skull to isolate effectively, and there's no need to suffer with a crushing fit.

Wow, that's the exact reason I've been browsing ebay for a replacement set of 'phones for the last week.... but i'll try this first.

thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by Zooey

I think you'll be happy with the extreme isolation headphones. Once you have them on, you'll probably realize that all the microphone placement you've done on sources like loud guitar amps to date has been pure guesswork.

Haha, I don't need headphones to tell me that! Mic'ing amps has always been a guessing game for me. For right now, though, I don't much recording since I'm living in a dorm. When I do, I just go direct with an attenuator since I have to limit my volume. I'll be doing ALOT more serious recording when I get my own place next semester. My immediate need, other than entertainment listening purposes, is to have some headphones that mute my roommate's blaringly annoying MTV while I do my Aural II homework. Believe me, it's hard to do melodic and harmonic dictation homework when freaking Fallout Boy or The Real World is cranked up.

Originally posted by bluesdealer

:confused:

It's kind of an inside joke. When someone posts something that violates the site rules, forum members can "report" that post to the moderators... and sometimes people joke around and say "REPORTED" in response to all sorts of things in a attempt to be funny or joke around - even when no "violation" occurred. :)

I think what he was (jokingly) saying was that no, you CAN'T ask that around here. ;):p:D

Actually, you can... but I honestly don't know the answer. I think they generally run about $89 from just about any place that sells them. Just type in "Extreme Isolation headphones" into Google and start shopping for the best deal. ;)

snaresmacker, definitely try the "couch arm" trick - it makes a BIG difference. Give it a couple nights though... or better yet, just leave them there for a couple of days whenever you're not actually using them.

Archived