FCC / Behringer.

• Members

Originally posted by toddlans

Is anybody here familiar with the Adult Swim show Sealab 2021 (specifically the "radio free" episode) ? Its too bad the FCC wouldn't really "drop the hammer" on behringer.

Different depts...but the "hammer" isn't just a whimsey of that cartoon

crazy busts happen in the LPFM community and pirate radio communities

• Members

Behringer probably got the test unit to pass by adding modifications that didn't get implemented in the production units. The fact that the FCC caught it means that the problem is really bad. They usually focus more on high volume consumer electronics.

... and apparently they don't get things fcc tested now! I hope my house doesn't blow up.

I don't think your house would blow up... OTOH, if someone's home DID burn down or something, and a B unit was involved... or if some B owners decide to file a class-action lawsuit over this; something like a claim over false advertising regarding the FCC compliance; the $1 mil FCC fine may wind up being pocket change in comparison. Time will tell, but I sense additional trouble beyond just the FCC fines.

Behringer probably got the test unit to pass by adding modifications that didn't get implemented in the production units. The fact that the FCC caught it means that the problem is really bad. They usually focus more on high volume consumer electronics.

FIFTY products? That's probably a large chunk of their entire product line. FIVE years - even contiuing for a year AFTER the FCC started the investigation? Yeah, I'd say that sounds pretty significant. :eek:

I don't know what prompted the FCC investigation, but it would be interesting to know / find out. I wonder if another company complained to them, or if a disgruntled employee / former employee ratted them out, or if the Feds found this on their own. Heck, it might have even been an end-user with interference issues who reported it or something. Has anyone heard anything specific?

• Members

The investigation was prompted by a complaint to the FCC. It was easy for the FCC to verify that none of Behringer's products have an FCC compliance notice anywhere on the box or the documentation -- despite clearly being subject to the Part B regulations (along with every other piece of digital musical equipment, and even some analog equipment with clocking oscillators, such as analog delays).

I'm surprised it took them five years to figure this out and take action. Apparently they generally act only in response to complaints. (The Notice of Apparent Liability states that they received the complaint about Behringer in March 2004.)

Also, the decision shows that even after being asked to test and provide compliance information, Behringer only did so for 28 of the 66 different devices in question. I suspect (but don't have the resources to prove) that some number of the remaining devices don't actually meet the standards, and it isn't just an issue of failing to do the testing and paperwork.

Behringer, of course, will write this off as a cost of doing business. $1M fine divided by 1.17M units sold = fine of less than $1/unit. This is because the law is written to penalize on a per-product basis, not a per-unit-sold basis. (The minimum fine is $7,000 per product.)

• Members

Originally posted by El Caballo

I'm surprised it took them five years to figure this out and take action. Apparently they generally act only in response to complaints. (The Notice of Apparent Liability states that they received the complaint about Behringer in March 2004.)

Interesting. Do you know who filed the complaint?

• Members

Is there a single German working at that company anymore?

'Cause all the Germans I know well are nuts about cross T's and dotting I's...

Over 50 models unauthorized... undoubtedly just a paperwork error...

:D

Ah, yes, well, wuddyaknow? I just found this picture of a Uli Behringer on my servers. (Undoubtedly soon to disappear as mysteriously as it appeared.) What a coincidence:

ulibehringer.jpg

Doesn't he kind of look like the sleazy newphew who's going to murder his kindly aunt to get the family fortune in a Monk episode?

• Members

Originally posted by El Caballo

...I'm surprised it took them five years to figure this out and take action. Apparently they generally act only in response to complaints. (The Notice of Apparent Liability states that they received the complaint about Behringer in March 2004.)

Yeah... they're gonna get around to doing something about payola now, anyday...

;)

Originally posted by GZsound

Do any of you know what the actual violations were and what equipment was involved?

Does not getting FCC approval mean the equipment is not safe, or just wasn't inspected?

Not following FCC's may mean that the product is not safe.

• Members

I agree. It would be nice to know what the FCC aproval means. Is it something as simple as RF bleed, or is it something else? And aren't all electrical powered equipment supposed to be UL approved? I think the electrical components are where a "danger" might exist..if anywhere.

What I am getting at is this question. Does not having FCC approval mean the equipment is dangerous or just perhaps noisy? Or is it transmitting too much RF?

What does the FCC approve? Aren't they the communications folks? Would excessive RF be "dangerous"?

I agree. It would be nice to know what the FCC aproval means. Is it something as simple as RF bleed, or is it something else? And aren't all electrical powered equipment supposed to be UL approved? I think the electrical components are where a "danger" might exist..if anywhere.

What I am getting at is this question. Does not having FCC approval mean the equipment is dangerous or just perhaps noisy? Or is it transmitting too much RF?

What does the FCC approve? Aren't they the communications folks? Would excessive RF be "dangerous"?

From a technical point of view, there's nothing "dangerous" on a product not approved by the FCC -unless it transmits Microwaves which for a Behringer kind of product it is not the case-. The one about electric safety is as mentioned, the UL test.

However they can be "noisy" to other studio equipments because of RF bleeding -which is mostly the case- or have a hidden antenna inside of it to transmit secret info to the Russians...

• Members

Do any of you know what the actual violations were and what equipment was involved?

If you read the FCC report, it lists, by product name, each piece of equipment.

I'm guessing that this is / could be just the beginning of B's FCC woes... time will tell.

Archived