Sony C38-B, clone or something like it?

• Members

I did a session a few weeks back and the engineer put one (along w/ a 57) on my '64 Deluxe, and I don't think my tone has ever been recorded so well. angel3.gif I had never even heard of them before. I can't seem to find one, so I'm wondering if there is a clone or a different mic that does the same thing? Thanks.

• Members

Or C-37's. There was the C-37A [which was a tube mic]; the C-37p [phantom powered FET condenser that was probably the closest thing to the C-38] and the C-37FET [which uses a battery inside so you have to remember to turn it off after the session and have a ton of spare batteries around... but they sound great].

There is no other mic that will sound like those old Sony's that I've ever met... though the C-48 will indeed often come close enough for rock and roll.

Best of luck with the search.

Originally posted by gtrwiz

THanks guys! I had heard something about Groove Tubes making a c38 clone, anyone know about this?

Groove Tubes was showing a prototype ribbon mic at NAMM.... I didn't see / hear anything about a Sony based clone / variant. If they were close to release on something like that, I'm sure Steve or Aspen would have told me.

You're probably thinking about the Josephson that Fletcher mentioned. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Groove Tubes was showing a prototype ribbon mic at NAMM.... I didn't see / hear anything about a Sony based clone / variant. If they were close to release on something like that, I'm sure Steve or Aspen would have told me.

You're probably thinking about the Josephson that Fletcher mentioned.
:)

THe one I'm talking about is an older discontinued mic. MD3? I may have wrong info, but I'll keep checking on Josephson's site either way...

• Members

Hey Sean, thanks for the offer. I've been in computer hell, so I didn't see this post until today. I looks like I may have missed the boat, the post has expired. I'll keep an eye on the NY Craigslist to see if it comes up again, looks like it'd been a sweet deal...

• Members

Hey guy's,

First off, I want to thank you all for your help over the last few days. :cool:

Second, I've got a line on a mint C37-P, which is the FET version of the C37-A. If I'm not mistaken this is what the C38-B was based on, am I wrong? If I am wrong, would it be comperable?

Archived