iTunes, iPods and 24 bit files

• Members

I posted this in the Mac forum, but since it's not a frequently visited forum, I thought it might be helpful posted here.

I discovered this one by sheer accident. Exporting unmastered mixes from my DAW (T2) to iTunes for subsequent transfer to the iPod to check in the car. I accidentally exported them as 24 bit/44.1k .wav files rather than 16 bit, however iTunes was most happy to play them, and the iPod most happy to as well, however only through iTunes. When I connected the iPod in the car and attempted to play the files, the iPod locked up and needed to be hard reset. replaced them with 16 bit versions and all was well.

Go figure. What I find strange is that, when connected to my computer, the files can be played from the iPod fine. Apparantly while iTunes is capable of understanding the 24 bit format, the iPod in stand alone mode is not.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

I posted this in the Mac forum, but since it's not a frequently visited forum, I thought it might be helpful posted here.

I discovered this one by sheer accident. Exporting unmastered mixes from my DAW (T2) to iTunes for subsequent transfer to the iPod to check in the car. I accidentally exported them as 24 bit/44.1k .wav files rather than 16 bit, however iTunes was most happy to play them, and the iPod most happy to as well, however only through iTunes. When I connected the iPod in the car and attempted to play the files, the iPod locked up and needed to be hard reset. replaced them with 16 bit versions and all was well.

Go figure. What I find strange is that, when connected to my computer, the files can be played from the iPod fine. Apparantly while iTunes is capable of understanding the 24 bit format, the iPod in stand alone mode is not.

Since no-one's answering and I'm big on my iPod and definitely want to be able to use my iPod in the car as well I have some questions:

1) Do u have iTunes on ur studio pc/mac?

2) What's T2?

3) How do you connect your iPod to your car stereo - through tape convertor?

I'd like to hear some of your music pal.

• Members

Well you can't because you cannot play 24 bit files from your ipod, except through itunes. If yu try to play them from the ipod in stand alone 9read not connected to the computer and playing through itunes) the ipod will lock up and require a hard reboot.

1) Do u have iTunes on ur studio pc/mac?

All Mac here.

2) What's T2?

Mackie Tracktion T2, sorry.

3) How do you connect your iPod to your car stereo - through tape convertor?

FM car dock. However this has nothing to do with the issue, it does it if you are simply listening through headphones also.

• Members

As far as I know itunes can play anything from 8 bit to 24 and 44k to 96k, depending solely on whether your computer (or Mac) can play these. As I understand it, Itunes is just a way of grouping files together into library or playlists but it isn't "processing" any data as long as you don't tell it to automatically convert formats or anything. In fact, you don't have to import any audio files into Itunes at all for them to be able to play, as long as they are already in "the box." While Ipod may not be able to play anything above uncompressed AIFFs at 16/44, it can of course store the files, and that means you can play them on another device (like another Mac) with capabilities of playing different types of files. I have used Ipod to backup 10 GB of 24/96 audio before and was lucky to have it there when another drive crashed, even though I couldn't play the audio through the Ipod.

• Members

The ipod should theoretically be able to play 24-bit files. According to the specs I read the ipod has some 24-bit german hardware in it.

I know that doesn't make alot of sense. But i read somewhere that it has a 24-bit german hardware something in it, I can't remember.

So it probably can maybe the firmware or something won't allow it.

Hopefully apple can address this sometime

I've never tried playing a 24 bit file on my iPod Nano 4GB... I've used it as a USB flash drive and transported 24 bit files with it, but that was strictly using it as a data drive and not as a player. Worked fine for that. :) For personal playback, I have mostly 192 kps MP3's, and some 16 bit files.

• Members

Originally posted by numrologst

I know that doesn't make alot of sense. But i read somewhere that it has a 24-bit german hardware something in it, I can't remember.

It makes sense because they use digital volume control (well, I'm 99% sure). With a 16-bit converter, listening to music at 25% volume would sound like pure crap (I mean: even crappier!).

24-bit all-in-one chips (DAC + DSP) are quite cheap nowadays.

• Members

For one thing, to my knowledge, an MP3 or any other kind of compressed audio cannot be compresssed at 24 bit, only 16 bit and lower. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Also, I'm not surprised that the iPod cannot play 24 bit files. The average iPod user (unlike us audio nerds) would not have any 24bit files to put on there in the first place, and would have no use for it. They either ripped the songs off their CDs into mp3/AAC format at the default 128kbps or just downloaded them.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Yeah, ran into the same thing, but when I thought about it, I wasn't surprised.

The IPod is an embedded device, not a full-fledged computer. Limited processor, limited memory. Coding has to be lean/mean. To support 24 bit WAV files, the code to handle them would have to be there.

Either an oversight or a design tradeoff.

js

• Members

My old 4gb iPod (from many years ago) utterly refused to play 24bit files. My iPhone 3G however loves them :)

iTunes has played 24bit files as long as I can remember, and I regularly listen to The Beatles Love album in 24bit 96khz using this fabulous program.