Good (mid range) Analog Limiter...dbx1066???

• Members

JM350,

MQ came in with guns blazing and in the most supercilious way went about belittling a poster who perhaps made an error, which he recanted. Not only that, but MQ chose to launch a tantrum at his own customer, which in doggy terms is called "biting the hand that feeds you" or "{censored}ting where you sleep." He then took the time (and it wasn't 5 mins., either) to spout off several pages of drivel as humorless as a preamp schematic.

I don't have anything against the RNC. I have one, too, and it's quite obvious to me that MQ interacts better with circuits and wires than with people. Props, but only where they are due. I'm posting since I've never liked to see people trampling on other people because they can.

New, rare, or "shy" posters are not beyond reproach for what they write, whether it's Rupert Neve, George Martin or Elvis. Why should they be? Generally, new posters show a little humility on these boards. What we've seen is an exception. When Al Gore invented the internet he could not have envisioned the kind of futile, caustic bickering it would someday engender among men.

• Members

This is in reaction to Bossa's post:

I've always had a little trouble calling it other than it is, but this is my perspective.

I'm admittedly biased here, as I've read Mark McQ's posts for eight, maybe nine years and spoken to him on the phone 2-3 times (a couple of times for 20-30 minutes). I've always found him to be a very nice, incredible guy who goes the extra mile for customers and treats them with respect. He seems to greatly value other people's opinions. I certainly value his. His customer service is second to none, and he seems to possess a great sense of ethics.

However, I'll admit that I was a little taken aback by his first post in this thread. I agree with his points, although I felt that he made them a little harshly in the very first post.

And I think at first, both Mark and Matt dug their heels pretty firmly in, and it's really good to see that there's some - I don't know what you call it - "making nice" on both sides of the fence now. Cool.

Finally, I would agree with your point that no one should be above reproach. But that said, I seriously doubt that Mark views himself as "beyond reproach". When I've interacted with him on rec.audio.pro or on the phone, he has always shown respect.

So that's my biased take on it. As always, YMMV.

Knowing both Matt and Mark for a while now - at least in the online / telephone sense; and knowing that both are genuinely nice and intelligent guys, I had a feeling that they'd get everything resolved and worked out. But I've been watching the thread closely anyway. ;)

I feel that the audio world does have too many misconceptions and too much flat out erroneous information being passed around... and like Mark, I'm all for having that corrected by people who have the correct facts when they see something like that. And IMO, no one's immune to that - including me. I'm not the fount of all wisdom, knowledge and truth, and if someone sees me posting something that is factually incorrect (as opposed to a subjective opinion about something), then not only am I okay with them correcting me, but I encourage it.

I don't want to speak for Mark, so I won't. But I do know from our conversations that he has experienced some considerable frustrations online in the past, and that he generally shys away from posting much anymore. IMO, that's unfortunate - I appreciate his appearance and participation here; not only because he's a genuinely nice guy, but as I said before, he's one of the sharper people on the subject of audio that I know. And that knowledge can be seriously beneficial to the community, and the audio world at large.

Like Ken, I was a little taken back by Mark's first post. Not that he was incorrect (compression had been around for decades before dBx patented the VCA in the early 1970's - Fairchild, Universal Audio, Altec, etc. etc. all had compressors designed for the audio recording community years before dBx came along, and audio compressors had been used in telcom applications before even those were around), but because the "tone" of his post was somewhat incongruent with what I have seen of his personality. Maybe a little of his past frustrations creeped in, and again, I know that misinformation is kind of a "pet peeve" of his...

But while I personally would have probably taken a more tactful approach in "correcting" Matt ("Actually Matt, I think your facts might be a little off... dBx wasn't the first with compressors - they were preceeded by Fairchild, Altec, UA, etc. etc...."), I can't - and won't - expect everyone to take the same approach and the same tone to their responses and posts that I do. I DO encourage / expect a certain level of basic respect and civility around here, but I'm not foolish enough to expect someone like, say, Fletcher to conform to "my way" of posting. And while he's a nice guy, Fletcher can sometimes rub some people the wrong way... but I appreciate the cat's considerable knowledge, and the contributions he makes around here.

I've always envisioned "my" forum as a place where everyone was welcome - seasoned vets and neophytes alike; with the pros talking shop with their peers and "paying it forward" by helping the newcomers when they can. A lot of audio / recording forums seem to be dedicated to one group or the other, and IMO, I see benefit to having a place where both the pros and the newcomers could interact. I always appreciate an attitude of respect and civility, and I try to encourage that, as well as the "passing along of accurate information" to audio newcomers. Not that Matt is a newcomer (far from it), but I hope my point is made. I'm not going to run off the noobs, nor am I going to run off the pros - everyone has something to contribute, everyone has something to learn, and the pros have a debt to pay back (we learned from someone at some point, and IMO, it's a moral obligation to pass that along whenever we can to the next generation), and hopefully this can be a place where we - regardless of our knowledge and experience levels - can do exactly that.

I'm sincerely glad you two worked everything out - I wouldn't want to lose either of you - you're BOTH valuable and appreciated members of this community. :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

...but because the "tone" of his post was somewhat incongruent with what I have seen of his personality.

I'm sincerely glad you two worked everything out - I wouldn't want to lose either of you - you're BOTH valuable and appreciated members of this community.
:wave:

1st paragraph: Ditto.

2nd paragraph: Ditto.

Thanks, Phil.

• Members

well...

One thing's for certain...after watching that tyrade (I'm sorry...good ol' fashioned country ass whoopin') develop, I'll never buy an fmr product for my entire life. I was actually embarrased for the guy as a read it.

Jeeziz...guess I'll get a Drawmer & go away.

mark4man

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

I can assure you that Mark is a cool guy with strong ethics. Please read the last part of this thread. You are seriously doing yourself a giant disservice if you don't consider FMR when considering a high-quality but low-budget product.

+1,000. And if you still have any lingering doubts, give him a call. Five minutes on the phone with him should be all it takes to give you a much more accurate impression of what his knowledge, attitude and service are really like. :)

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

Y'know, this is all great and stuff that people are gettin' along, but I'm still a little upset finding out that Al Gore didn't invent the internet.

And what's this crap about the Easter Bunny now?
:D

You and whoever gave you the information are talking thru your collective arses. Al Gore DID invent the internet.

• Members

Boy... what a cool thread!!

Fifteen posts with two guys yelling, fifteen posts with everyone else telling everyone else what the two guys yelling really meant and how nice the two guys yelling really are..and then pfzzzzz... it all goes away and we are all alone again.

Man... gotta love "audiologists".. Never a strong opinion.

I want Mark to explain the "super nice" function of the RNC to me.. But now I'm scared to death to even ask..

• Members

This was different! I wouldn't think a thing about it if it was some other well-respected musician/engineer/producer/sales/marketing type guy that frequents this place from up North! :D

But about analog mastering limiters - I don't have a reccomendation but I'm thinking that what 'where' said is pretty good advice - going out into the world (D/A) just to meet up with a mid-range priced (and sound probably) ML wouldn't be satisfying for very long. I'm having to save my beans to get into the >$1K range - hoping not $2K but I betcha maybe...

Archived