Any strat copies comparable to MIM for same price or cheaper?

Jandy

• Members

I'm looking for a couple new guitars to play around with, maybe mod a bit, I really want MIM quality, but not the heavy prive tag (yeah I consider $350 heavy) are there any companies that make a comparable strat copy for the same price? or cheaper?

thanks

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions, I am looking for something a bit better in quality than the Squire... the one above looks interesting, what do they run?

I really want to do a hendrix tribue strat, so I want the guitar to look as much like a fender as possible. The neck isn't a big issue because I plan on replacing it with a reverse headstock anyways, but the body shape is a bit different than normal strats

On a side note I never understood why companies bothered to modify the strat shape when making copies, it isn't copy-writed, so it's free to use, and they are the sexiest...

• Members

if you get samick to give you alist of dealers in your area you should be able to get one for around 250ish.

i wish i had done that before i got my rl4 royale. would have saved me 100 bucks on mine and i still think i got a good deal for what it is.

• Members

Originally posted by Jandy

Thanks for the suggestions, I am looking for something a bit better in quality than the Squire... the one above looks interesting, what do they run?

I really want to do a hendrix tribue strat, so I want the guitar to look as much like a fender as possible. The neck isn't a big issue because I plan on replacing it with a reverse headstock anyways, but the body shape is a bit different than normal strats

On a side note I never understood why companies bothered to modify the strat shape when making copies, it isn't copy-writed, so it's free to use, and they are the sexiest...

The standard Squier body and electronics is easily as good as (if not better than) the MIM Fenders if you ask me. If you're going to replace the neck anyway then I would not dismiss this route so lightly.

• Members

Originally posted by walfordr

The standard Squier body and electronics is easily as good as (if not better than) the MIM Fenders if you ask me. If you're going to replace the neck anyway then I would not dismiss this route so lightly.

I've always found Squiers to be great - with a bit of care it's not at all hard to find one as good as a MIM Fender.... if price is an issue, I'd be looking for a Squier Std Strat and dropping in an all-new plate with a nice set of staggered vintage type pups in it (depends how accurate you want to get). Of course, this will have the truss rod adjustment at the nut end and not the heel (like Jimi's Strats did), and a two-post (not six screw) trem, but a lot depends on how anally retentive you want to get. If you're going for all-out accuracy, you'll be cheaper in the long run buying a used MIJ 68 RI.

I'm planning on doing something similar on the cheap myself - I'm holding out for a Squier Std or Affinity (thinner body, i know) donor with a black or white body and a maple board on the 'bay at the right price....

• Members

Peavey Predator is a very good choise for a "cheap" strat copy (the usa made versions). Very nice guitars, really nice necks. And you can find one on E-bay for less than 100$ pretty often.. very overlooked/ underrated guitars..

pvpred1.JPG

• Members

Originally posted by Jandy

Do you own that?

If so.. how is it?

It came with the worst set up I've ever gotten on a guitar. I had pro set it up after I just couldn't get it right. Now it plays like a dream. The pickups are very "vintage" sounding. The tuners are Wilkerson locking, and they work fine. I had the tech set it up with a 1/2 set sharp" pull" on the trem. It holds tuning, great. The Wilkerson trem, on it, is the best I've played. This guitar is a steal for $300.00.

• Members

Originally posted by GPLAYER

It came with the worst set up I've ever gotten on a guitar. I had pro set it up after I just couldn't get it right. Now it plays like a dream. The pickups are very "vintage" sounding. The tuners are Wilkerson locking, and they work fine. I had the tech set it up with a 1/2 set sharp" pull" on the trem. It holds tuning, great. The Wilkerson trem, on it, is the best I've played. This guitar is a steal for $300.00.

I heard someone say that the trem block is plastic, not steel as advertised. Can you confirm or deny this?

edit: and how was the nut out of the box?

• Members

Originally posted by Shock

I heard someone say that the trem block is plastic, not steel as advertised. Can you confirm or deny this?

edit: and how was the nut out of the box?

That was me, that said it. Yes, it is plastic. The nut is graphite and I've had no issues with it at all.

• Members

The trem block is not plastic. I have that very guitar too.

It's awfull setup. The pickups are very good.

The neck has a good solid feel and the fret dress is right up there too.

That being said this guitar is a dog.

Very dead sounding strings sound more like rubber bands no matter where on the neck you play them. ( these are new .010's too so it's not crap factory strings) I think the saddles are robbing all of the brightness or something.

It DOES seem a solid well built guitar and has none of that "Cheapie Asian" feeling. On the contrary it feels very good. It just doesn't deliver the goods it looks, feels and seems like it should.

• Members

Originally posted by GPLAYER

Wilkinson stuff is fantastic. A friend of mine has a Vintage brand SG copy with wilkinson hardware and pups - amazing sounding. I ordered him not to dare change out those pups - the guitar sounds fantastic! (plays lovely too). Half the price of a G400, though i don't know how hardwaring it will be by comparison. I think the G400s are fab - i'd have one already if only they did the lefty in black.

• Members

... but a great variation of the Strat concept is the PRS SE EG, as long as mahogany for body and neck is no problem. Before I bought mine I was looking into the MIM Fender too - I have never looked back.

To me it sounds far better than the Mexi-Strats and with its current routing it can be modded from SSS or HSS to HSH with a breeze. With the exception for its under par and over Ohmed pots it's just magnificient. Replace the p/us and IMO it's better still.

• Members

Originally posted by walfordr

I agree with this. I had a MIM Fender Standard Strat and bought a Squier Standard Strat because I felt like getting myself a guitar with maple fretboard (opposed to the rosewood board on my MIM). Let's just say that I was a bit surprised when the Squier turned out to be better playing and better sounding than the MIM. The trem on the Squier worked way better than the trem on the MIM as well.

I ended up selling the MIM after it ended up being left in the case all the time.

• Members

Originally posted by jhall

The trem block is not plastic. I have that very guitar too.

It's awfull setup. The pickups are very good.

The neck has a good solid feel and the fret dress is right up there too.

That being said this guitar is a dog.

Very dead sounding strings sound more like rubber bands no matter where on the neck you play them. ( these are new .010's too so it's not crap factory strings) I think the saddles are robbing all of the brightness or something.

It DOES seem a solid well built guitar and has none of that "Cheapie Asian" feeling. On the contrary it feels very good. It just doesn't deliver the goods it looks, feels and seems like it should.

If the block is not plastic, what the hell is it? It's not metal. BTW, I get great sound out of mine. But, you're right about the setup. It was SHITE out of the box.:D

• Members

My experience has been different, I've wanted to like the Squiers I've tried, it would be nice to get a "Fender" at that price. But none have been nearly as nice as the MIM Fenders, or even the MIK Fenders-(not Squiers) that I've tried.

I feel you get a bigger jump in overall quality (especially for the money) going from a Squier to a MIM Fender than you do from a MIM to an MIA, but obviously the amount depends on the quality of each individual guitar. With a new Squier running $199 to $249 (the deluxe models), I'd look for a slightly used MIM Fender for around the same price or less. Or haggle slightly on a new one, you can get a MIM Strat or Tele for $299 from Guitar Center or your other local shop with a little persistence.

But if I ever run across a Squier that feels good enough I'd certainly snatch it up.

• Members

Check out a G&L Tribute series. Either a legacy or a S-500. I just picked up, at a local music store, a mint condition natural ash legacy strat with G&L gig bag for $225. out the door. Very nicely made with american G&L pickups. The Vibrato unit is designed after the american one as is quite heavy duty also. I was looking for a low price strat and found this to be better than the MIM Fenders I played.

Archived