how to get that Spanish guitar sound?

mysterybat35

• Members

yep nylon strings.

as far as i know you can't just string up your regular acoustic with any old nylon strings without snapping them, but there are probably some nylons designed to work on a standard acoustic

in general, they are spanish or classical guitars like these

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/navigation?N=100001+306255&Ntk=All&Ntt=spanish+guitar&Nty=1&page=1

shop around your local music stores. they aren't super popular these days so they can sometimes be hard to find, but since they're not flying off the shelves you can probably find a real sweet deal if you look hard enough.

i've been to music store closing sales where they were blowing them out for like $20 because nobody wanted them. sure they weren't top quality--but if you just wanted to pluck around to see if you like classical guitar, how could you go wrong?

• Members

Yep - nylon string guitars only need apply for that tone. And for some of the real 'Spanish' stuff you are hearing a flaminco guitar as opposed to the usual classical guitar. There are differences in the two, espeically considering how hard a good flamenco player is on their guitar. They really bang the heck out of them - but they can squeeze so much soul and passion into each note....

• Members

Besides getting a nylon string guitar, I found that one of the things that Roland GR-33s do really well is the sound you are looking for. I know that it is a synth...and I own several keyboard synths and none of them sound like ANY guitar....but the GR-33 really does a great job of giving the nylon sound.

• Members

There is a tone that I like to call "Electric Spanish". I didn't come up with this name either. It was Gibson's idea for their ES series of semi acoustic electric guitars. Jorma Kaukonen of Jefferson Airplane gets that sort of tone in the intro to "White Rabbit". Yeah, it's just a clean sounding ES 335 with depth and a bit of a trebly edge. Probably the middle position and maybe the neck position. I don't know what kind of amp he was using. Other sources for this "Electric Spanish" or clean electric guitar with a bit of Spanish flavor are for me, all those spaggetti-westerns. I guess it's sort of pseudo-Spanish but never the less, it was what the movie producers intended.

I did see a Spanish rock band on tv once. Their songs were very Spanish influenced. I don't recall their name but the guitarist was doing that Spanish style of strumming and he was hot on his lead guitar work. He was playing an LP Standard with the body top completely covered in abalone shell. The other members were drums, bass, and a female singer/dancer with castanettes. As I recall, they were {censored}ing hot. I just couldn't understand the Spanish lyrics.

Maybe if you listen to a lot of Spanish and Flamenco guitar music, you might combine the idea with rock and roll and be the next big thing. Or has this been done before?:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by 's mel gibson

Maybe if you listen to a lot of Spanish and Flamenco guitar music, you might combine the idea with rock and roll and be the next big thing. Or has this been done before?
:rolleyes:

SHHHHH dont give him that idea.... ITS HORRIBLE!!!

actualy thats what I'm working on now:p

• Members

Originally posted by mixedxboy

yep nylon strings.

as far as i know you can't just string up your regular acoustic with any old nylon strings without snapping them, but there are probably some nylons designed to work on a standard acoustic

in general, they are spanish or classical guitars like these

shop around your local music stores. they aren't super popular these days so they can sometimes be hard to find, but since they're not flying off the shelves you can probably find a real sweet deal if you look hard enough.

i've been to music store closing sales where they were blowing them out for like $20 because nobody wanted them. sure they weren't top quality--but if you just wanted to pluck around to see if you like classical guitar, how could you go wrong?

that wont snap them.

maybe youre thinking of a similar yet very different idea.

putting metal strings on a classical guitar is gonna piss of the classical guitar big time. they have very very thin tops. much less tension in the nylons.

• Members

Originally posted by 's mel gibson

Maybe if you listen to a lot of Spanish and Flamenco guitar music, you might combine the idea with rock and roll and be the next big thing. Or has this been done before?
:rolleyes:

Been done before. "Friday Night In San Francisco" by Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin, and Paco De Lucia from around 1980 comes to mind as just one example. Some of Steve Howe's work also shows some Spanish influence.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarlady

These types of nylon string guitars, a flamenco and a classical, if you play them in the right finger picking style, can definately give you that sound.

beautiful guitars:thu: , I myself play them with fingerstyle, but I've found for certain sounds and applications you can get a very nice and articulate latin sound using a light pick (as to not damage the strings).

Archived