How to make $50,000 a year as a musician

• Members

Ok so we should let corporations do their things without government intervention... ?

You think individuals would have the power to fight these?

crap governments yes, just shows you how important it is to have an healthy, uncorrupt one. They were even easier to exploit when they didn't have one, we just had to take slaves by force or kill the natives.

All of what you said is true. But it isn't the point was making, which was that wealth is often created, not necessarily stolen from someone else (though it can and does happen, I agree with you). That isn't a political point or principle and really has nothing to do with politics.

We may never know here...

[voice=Moderator]

Okay.... let us please revert to the original topic, and leave the political discussion to the Poli forums, okay?

[/voice=Moderator]

Fine by me. I didn't think the idea of wealth creation had anything to do with politics. It's true politics can enhance it, make it more difficult, it or prohibit it, but that doesn't negate the principle, which, incidentally, applies to the music biz. If I work hard, make a great CD with great songs, promote the crap out of it, tour incessantly, move to a music mecca and become successful and wealthy in the process, it isn't costing anyone else their shot at success because I got mine. THAT is the point I was trying (poorly, I guess) to make! Some people seem to believe that person A's success is always at the expense of Persons B, C and D. It isn't always true, or even usually.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
Fine by me. I didn't think the idea of wealth creation had anything to do with politics. It's true politics can enhance it, make it more difficult, it or prohibit it, but that doesn't negate the principle, which, incidentally, applies to the music biz. If I work hard, make a great CD with great songs, promote the crap out of it, tour incessantly, move to a music mecca and become successful and wealthy in the process, it isn't costing anyone else their shot at success because I got mine. THAT is the point I was trying (poorly, I guess) to make! Some people seem to believe that person A's success is always at the expense of Persons B, C and D. It isn't always true, or even usually.

This is true, some people assume that someone else's good fortune reduces their potential...sad way to look at things...as an example, if this were true, there would be no professional team sports, or any competitive sports for that matter. A self-defeating philosophy...

• Members

This is true, some people assume that someone else's good fortune reduces
their
potential...sad way to look at things...as an example, if this were true, there would be no professional team sports, or any competitive sports for that matter. A self-defeating philosophy...

Awright, I had this long witty semi-political post to lay down, then decided against it.

1. There is nothing "true" about economics. It's an art form, and any one that tells you that they know how it works is, well...there's no nice way to say it, so I won't.

2. Wealth almost always has an associated cost, whether it's in the form of natural resources or exploitive labor, but as long as it happens elsewhere we can remain blissfully ignorant that the "health, wealth and prosperity" is at it's core, exploitive, whether it's musicians, foreign labor, or cheap chinese guitars and amps.

3. Life isn't fair, and nothing is guaranteed. We either work together and raise each other up, or you spend your life clambering to the top only to find yourself in the hole. Sounds great. As a musician, artist and Father, I find that idea antithetical to a good life.

• Members

We made $50K a year each in the early 70s. And 50K was worth a LOT more back then. But that was before disco, and DJs, when nightclubs had bands 6-7 nights a week and there were a LOT of clubs. And promoters rented theaters and hired groups. People knew live music and demanded it.

Now everyone is into mp3s and DJs. Even the kids in the school never hire a band even for a prom (because they want rap), when I was in high school, we ALWAYS had live bands, even for sock hops, and PROMS always required really good bands. I don't think my 3 kids every saw a live dance band in their school. Today, they don't even know what they are missing.

It's all changed now. Now you either are in the big money or you're broke. It so different today than it was 40 years ago.

I guess that's why I've been working the "executive" gig since 1980.

• Members

Awright, I had this long witty semi-political post to lay down, then decided against it.

1. There is nothing "true" about economics. It's an art form, and any one that tells you that they know how it works is, well...there's no nice way to say it, so I won't.

2. Wealth almost always has an associated cost, whether it's in the form of natural resources or exploitive labor, but as long as it happens elsewhere we can remain blissfully ignorant that the "health, wealth and prosperity" is at it's core, exploitive, whether it's musicians, foreign labor, or cheap chinese guitars and amps.

3. Life isn't fair, and nothing is guaranteed. We either work together and raise each other up, or you spend your life clambering to the top only to find yourself in the hole. Sounds great. As a musician, artist and Father, I find that idea antithetical to a good life.

Every one of your points holds true to me.

• Members

THis is elegantly true.

I used to pull about $150-$200 a NIGHT in a cover band during the 90's. We only played about twice a month though by CHOICE. The other band I was in after that paid me $50 - $100 PER NIGHT as a "sideman" rate, but we gigged 4-8 times a month as well as outdoor summer stuff, corporate parties, weddings, etc.. I think I played 72 gigs with them that year. I think that the church gigs (that pay) are harder to come by, but if you take on a few students, learn how to read charts (so you can pay jazz gigs) and spread out your playing between a great cover band and some smaller acts, you could "make a living" at being a musician. The one important thing that isn't mentioned is that you might need to relocate to a larger city or market to make sure the opportunities are there.

Archived