How to make $50,000 a year as a musician

• Members

Many of you have seen this article by now. I'll save you from clicking a link. Here's the meat:

How to Really Make $50,000 a Year

1. Get a church job (3 services a week @ $100/service) = $15,600

2. Start a teaching studio (12 students @ $50/lesson) = $31,200

3. Play background music once a month (@ $250/gig) = $3,000

4. Play in a band twice a month (@ $50/gig) = $1,200

Here's the link, for those interested.

You know, this is closer to reality than most music biz ish I read. I have known guys who have made a living pretty much doing exactly what is listed above. The only difference I see is that I don't know anyone charging $50 a lesson around here. But $50 per gig in a band is very possible. $250 for background music is also a little high for around my area.

Comments?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would say it's more dreaming and wishful thinking.

No one is easily going to land a church gig as described. The bands in churches i've seen have always, always been donated time so I would throw that out the window.

Starting a studio for teaching. Where is someone going to get a room environment for 12 students and then find these students. The only place I've seen this is at the largest local music stores and community colleges that offer night lessons. They are ALWAYS filled those teaching positions. Good luck to anyone trying to get 12 students on their own, throughout the year as viable income. You will SERIOUSLY need luck on that one.

Play background music. GOOD LUCK landing this gig for $250 *reliably* once a month.

The only thing that wasn't dreaming was $50 twice a month for a gig. That's the only legitimate, down to earth thing that someone should expect as income.

• Moderators

not to mention...there is zero downtime in those figures.

So you can never get sick, never take a vacation, and with the church gigs, never get a weekend off...

I also agree that most 'church gigs' are voluntary (at least 99% of the ones I have been offered over the years...and summarily turned down ;) ) around here...but, those gigs will generate paid wedding gigs, etc., if you know how to promote.

Background music gigs at $250? ...please, tell me where to get these on a monthly basis...

giving lessons: most lesson sessions are not an hour, they are typically 30 minutes so...that would mean you get $100/hr...you had better be Eddie Van Segovia-Carlton-Dimeola for that kind of rate.

Alot of that theoretical income will also depend greatly on where you are.

And, yeah, remember the 1099...

• Members

I did it for a few years but i'm not going to do into some huge detail broken down because I don't have the numbers but the general breakdown was:

Ran Tuesday open mic night-$150

Wed Night Solo gig-$200

Thursday Night Band gig (Trio)-$175

Friday Happy hour gig Then Friday Band (Same Place)

Saturday Band Gig(Same place as Friday)-Total For Friday and Sat without Tips-$600

Total-$1175 a week/$61,100 a year, NOT including tips, weddings and a few private gigs a year...I took 3 weeks off a year approximately..for a total of $55,125...

I made thousands more from Tips as well.

Those were my best years gigging and I was a burned out bastard!! I did this when I had a house gig at the friday Sat place as well 2 nights at another place..This was 4 years..I had other years where I made $40-$50K in other configurations of gigging as well...Never made less than $25K net from 1990-2010 though and for a single guy with no debt this was beautiful..I always had money and I traveled a lot, bought gear galore etc..2008-2010 I played in Europe 6 months out of each year and still netted $30K a year there and basically didn't work 1/2 the year:)

Anyway, I'm through with that type of life now but it shows you that i can be done through a variety of ways or just gigging like me.

• Members

not to mention...there is zero downtime in those figures.

So you can never get sick, never take a vacation, and with the church gigs, never get a weekend off...

I also agree that most 'church gigs' are voluntary (at least 99% of the ones I have been offered over the years...and summarily turned down
;)
) around here...but, those gigs
will
generate paid wedding gigs, etc.,
if
you know how to promote.

Background music gigs at $250? ...please, tell me where to get these on a monthly basis...

giving lessons: most lesson sessions are not an hour, they are typically 30 minutes so...that would mean you get $100/hr...you had better be Eddie Van Segovia-Carlton-Dimeola for that kind of rate.

Alot of that theoretical income will also depend greatly on where you are.

And, yeah, remember the 1099...

You can't do what I used to do in LA or for the most part Nashville...It's still possible to make a living in other places like where I was, in South FL.

• Moderators

Yes, but the correct answer to the premise:

How to make $50,000 a year as a musician ?

Start with $100,000... ;)

I do know some 'c-level' studio guys here who clear over $75k/year before taxes. They hustle their butts off...and have no ability to plan their time for vacations, etc.

They may go off on a five month world tour with less than three weeks notice... they may get called at midnight Sunday night for a 6AM Monday session....they may be on their way home from the studio when the owner says...'um, stick around, so-and-so hasn't shown up for the next session...'...or they may get a call to show up in Panama tomorrow morning to pick up the rest of a cruise because the original guy got sick or was fired for *name the offense*...

Plus the cancelled lessons, the no-shows, the gear maintenance costs (tax deductible!)...not one of these guys I'm referring to is married (three are divorced and paying alimony...), not one even has a live-in SigOth....it is a challenging career...with no benefits, no retirement plan beyond what they can put aside in a 401k...and all of them told me, when I was starting out doing it, what a cool way it was to make a living...twenty years later, they are whining...pushing 60 with little to show is not where they wanted to be. Oh, and only one of them is a guitar slinger...he's the guy who got me started doing it.

• Members

Yup Daddymack and now you've circled right back around to my other thread about What Musician's Do when the get older? Basically they are {censored}ed!!! What do you do? Hate your life working a day gig playing music on the side which is NEVER enough for some people (like me), and wish you could play more..Or go all in , gig your ass off, tour, play, get as good as you can get but than end up broke with no gigs at 60...Damed if you do, damed if you don't in my opinion.

• Members

I just don't think gigs that solid can be counted on. I gigged regularly (often in more than one band) between 1982-1999. What I took in varied a great deal. Could be zilch, could be $250, could be $1500. At times it was my only income, but I was young and single. Still never felt too comfortable with it, as far as it being reliable and steady income.

Now that I have a family and am older I imagine I could bring down a little cash playing, but even though my day job doesn't pay much, it is steady and offers me something gigging couldn't: decent benefits. Good health care, good retirement. Something to think about once you are past your 20s or are thinking of taking on the responsibilities of caring for other human beings through marriage or having kids.

I definitely want to get back into gigging, but I am happy that I can think of it as a hobby.

• Members

Like a bunch of sharks after a bloody piece of meat! Didn't take long for everyone to rip that piece of advice apart. I'm surprised no one added in the idea that there's no medical benefits or retirement... so when you retire, you basically have no money and you die of hunger. And if you get sick you're screwed.

• Members

...even though my day job doesn't pay much, it is steady and offers me something gigging couldn't:
decent benefits. Good health care, good retirement
. Something to think about once you are past your 20s or are thinking of taking on the responsibilities of caring for other human beings through marriage or having kids.

:cop:

• Members

I'll just add that the numbers in the OPs article are quite optimistic. Anywhere that pays what he's using as a baseline would be impossible to live on 50k.

Take lessons, for instance: The writer uses $50/lesson as a baseline. But for most places, that isn't reality. MY duo partner has been teaching begginning and intermediate guitar students for years, and now is lucky to get $60 per month per student in this economy. There are so many guys with their hours cut back giving lessons, that some are doing them for 10 dollars a lesson.

Background music? Again a flooded market. The restaurant gig I was doing as a duo for $300/weekend apiece has now quit hiring us because they can get 4 and 5 piece bands for the same price. So now if I want to play there, I have to take my band and make half the money. Everywhere I go around here, I'm hearing of venues dropping their pay to as little as $100-150/night for bands, forget singles and duos.

• Members

Many of you have seen this article by now. I'll save you from clicking a link. Here's the meat:

How to Really Make $50,000 a Year

1. Get a church job (3 services a week @ $100/service) = $15,600

2. Start a teaching studio (12 students @ $50/lesson) = $31,200

3. Play background music once a month (@ $250/gig) = $3,000

4. Play in a band twice a month (@ $50/gig) = $1,200

You know, this is closer to reality than most music biz ish I read. I have known guys who have made a living pretty much doing exactly what is listed above. The only difference I see is that I don't know anyone charging $50 a lesson around here. But $50 per gig in a band is very possible. $250 for background music is also a little high for around my area.

Comments?

I agree with #1, but it is hard to get into the "system." My father plays acoustic guitar and sings for Catholic services, makes $75/mass, and plays 2 to 3 masses per week. He is not the music director, either. However, to do this you have to be able to lead the entire mass by yourself. Also, it requires much practice and planning. If you are already in this market, and are good, people will also hire you for other services such as funerals ($75 to $100) and weddings ($100 to $175). Other instruments, such as when I play bass (no vocals) on the side, get paid about $35 for a regular mass, $50 for a funeral, and $75 or $100 for a wedding. There are also other special occasion masses (Christmas and Christmas Eve, Ash Weds, confirmation, etc.) that pay the same rates as regular masses.

Oh yea, all that money is pre-tax.

#2 - I think that's wishful thinking...big time.

#3 - Background music for what? Not many places have the cash to pay for that type of service with the economy.

#4 - Agree. Most musicians would never settle for $50, though.

However, I think the added stress and planning required would make me question $50k, even if I could get it each year.

• Members

As others have pointed out, maybe some of the income figures aren't just exactly accurate for all regions, but I think overall the plan is workable. If you're dead set on making a living at music, it would be better to start with this for a plan than with no plan.

The part that wouldn't have worked for me, at any point in my life, is that there is nothing in the plan about making music of my own preference, choice, and taste, either original or cover. All 4 phases of the plan absolutely entail playing music that feeds the bottom line. I doubt very much if, at the end of each workday keeping all 4 of those things in the air, one would have the ability to find time to play for their own enjoyment, too.

• Members

The part that wouldn't have worked for me, at any point in my life, is that there is nothing in the plan about making music of my own preference, choice, and taste, either original or cover. All 4 phases of the plan absolutely entail playing music that feeds the bottom line. I doubt very much if, at the end of each workday keeping all 4 of those things in the air, one would have the ability to find time to play for their own enjoyment, too.

Good point!

• Members

1. Get as day job for $50,000.

2. Make $3,000 playing gigs you like.

3. Spend $3,000 a year on new gear.

I tried it. No {censored}ing Thanks! After my long hours working on bull{censored} I couldn't have cared less about, (even though it was music related and in the studio) I was too sapped creatively and emotionally to put any time into practicing, writing or performing my own stuff. This pattern eventually made me spiral into depression and the unhappiest I had ever been in my life. Hence, I quit the job, moved away and started performing music full time again and my happiness returned for a while.

To me, a Dayjob even at this point in my life is akin to shriveling up and dying a slow death inside. That's just me. YMMV though and I suspect most on this forum aren't like me, and that's A Ok brothers and sisters!!

• Moderators

1. Get as day job for $50,000.

2. Make $3,000 playing gigs you like.

3. Spend $3,000 a year on new gear.

well, here, you can't even cover the basics at $50k... but, let's change up and say make 50k on a straight day gig plus bennies, make 3-5k gigging (in today's economy that means hustle!), buy 2 grand of new gear each year and take a decent vacation ... :thu:

• Members

As others have pointed out, maybe some of the income figures aren't just exactly accurate for all regions, but I think overall the plan is workable

Well, I'll confess to not being the brightest bulb in the box, but...if the figures aren't accurate, how is that a workable plan?

• Moderators

no, bank robbery is a federal offense...and then you have to deal with the dye paks, the bill sequences, the cameras, the FBI... L.A. is the bank robbery capitol of the world (a rather dubious honor, I have to say...), there were ~2600 in 1992...before the new anti-takeover panels were installed (I was in a bank during a robbery that year! I was standing directly behind the guy in line... :eek: )... in 2009 there were still over 400, which is more than one a day...

There are better ways to make 50 grand...some of them legal ;)

Archived