Beach Boys and Harmonicas

• Members

I've been listening to the Beach Boys a lot for the last 8 years or so. I found some great versions of "smile" (the 60's one) floating around here and there that have just blown my mind on production wide open. I have particularly come to notice the use of harmonica as a main instrument... All over Smile, Pet Sounds, Good Vibrations.

Would anyone know what kind of harps they are using? I've been researching on harps some and there is such a wide variety or styles and keysets, I was just wondering if anyone might have gleaned this little tidbit along the way.

Now I know this might seem too particular of a question, but I'm really effected by this stuff and I'm curious to know how it was done, down to the specifics of the harmonica.

I'm familiar with this forum so I will post some responses to flames I'm sure to get:

Yes, I know any harmonica can sound good.

Yes, I suppose I should be more original and not care what they used. I should find my own direction and not seek to emulate my heroes.

Yes, I know they parts were played by a genius harmonica player and if I want THAT tone I will need to hire a professional harmonica player.

YES, I know they were going through millions of dollars worth of gear (that many of you have apparently memorized and lust after day in and day out) and my petty harmonica stylings are never likely to sound as rich, warm, and full as harmonica recorded onto 2" tape.

But despite all this I am curious what kind of harp was used on those wonderful wonderful WONDERFUL records!

• Members

Um... you're hoping to find the exact model that all of those parts were played on? Not to be rude, but haven't you ever seen a harmonica player at a live show, constantly digging through his box for the next song, sometimes several times in the same song if the key changes?

The obligatory "get a clue, kid" requirement having been fulfilled, I'd venture that the various harmonicas were out of the classic Hohner lines. Maybe there are some old brochures online somewhere? But back then Hohner was pretty much it, this was before all the various other blues and jazz harmonica companies like Lee Oskar and Hwang showed up. However, it definitely wasn't a time of limited options! Hohner had all kinds of crazy harmonicas, and even in the late 70's their catalog was an extremely interesting read.

• Members

Look, dude...

Any harmonica can sound good.

You should be more original and not care what they used. You should find my own direction and not seek to emulate your heroes.

Their parts were played by a genius harmonica player. Consider hiring a professional.

They were going through bazillions of dollars worth of gear (that many of us have memorized and lust after day in and day out) and your petty harmonica stylings are never likely to sound as rich, warm, and full as harmonica recorded onto 2" tape.

• Moderators

They probably used a few different players thus a few different types of harp but I don't know that for sure but... what I seem to recall is the sound of a chromatic harp. Like what Stevie Wonder and Toots Thielman play. That sound is usualy a bigger harp, 4 or 5 times the size of your standard Marine Band variety.

My Dad used to play a chromatic when I was a kid. Then I heard Toots on Everybody's Talkin' and I was hooked. The solo on That's What Friends Are For by Stevie is a good example of the type of harp I'm talking about. Or the instrumental theme from Mancini's Moon River.

:thu:

• Members

That was too funny! I didn't remember the responses I wrote to myself and I got bummed out when they got reposted back to me... like, "gosh, these HC guys are tough sometimes!"

I think it's a chromatic too... so you really don't need a whole bag (of harmonicas, of course) if you play a chromatic.

Aside from the Beach Boys stuff, I really love the harp on "midnight cowboy theme". I snuck into that movie when I was a kid and I was really taken by he lonesome sound.

Archived