How far can a Bigsby bend?

chu2

• Members

Not even close. My Bigsby can go about 3 semitones (3 frets) down and about 2 semitones up before you start getting to the edges of its physical limits. A standard strat trem can let the strings go until they're completely slack.

As for staying in tune, that has as much to do with hardware and setup than anything else. I just did this experment with my Ibanez Artcore and it's still in tune, but it comes stock with roller saddles (a BIG help) and I installed a graphite nut. It stays in tune as well as any of my other guitars.

• Members

Yep, Bigsbys can't go anywhere close to most strat style trems. However, they sound cool and they have a vibe that's different than any other trem. I love them but when I have to bend more than a whole step, I use one of my guitars that has a Wilkinson. The Wilkinson feels smooth and is probably my all-time fave trem.

• Members

Originally posted by Big_Mac_AUS

I just thought of an idea.... im not sure if its been done or if it would work at all, but what if you had a bigsby on your guitar and then put on a locking nut......

Won't work.

No fine tuners on Bigsby. Once you lock down a locking nut (which, itself, knocks the guitar out of tune), you have to be able to tune at the bridge end.

Plus, the guys are right, a few semi-tones is all the Bigsby will physically bend before you compelety compress the string. Not matter about tuning, the unit just won't go there.

Want to divebomb? Have a backup with a Floyd, they are cheap enough to find. But I wouldn't try and rewrite the rules of nature for aesthetic purposes.

-Y.

• Members

If you're serious, there is an old trick of the trade I'll pass along to you Bigsby guys:

Small block Chevy valve springs will work in a Bigsby. They're taller and stiffer, and give the bar about twice the room to lower the note. My ES-340 actually stayed in tune using this method so long as I didn't pull up.

If you don't believe me, don't try it. It is completely reversable so if you don't like the odd angle of the bar, put the original spring back in. Worked for me in the 70's, YMMV.

Happy Holidays,

Jack

Archived