Your Audio/Mixing/Tracking anomaly's!

• Members

I like hearing about peoples unusual techniques with all stages of the recording process. I know many of us are over the "what vocal mic", "what A/D", "do you like ITB summing" questions that seem to pop up every few weeks. In our audio world people are always ready "set you strait" if they don't agree with a particular method. Well i love to hear that crap & invite people to share there taboos/tricks that work for you.

I'll start off with one odd thing of mine.

I have grown fond of mixing/composing while monitoring with a dolby prologic decoder. I like hearing the pan relationship with the center speaker, and the instant alert if a have an out of phase synth patch or track. I just find it a fun tool. Another thats not to unusual but i still get questioned about is my choice to rarely use vol faders for level control. I will allmost always use the leval/gain controls on an insert. Example if i have a EQ or compressor in the chain. I'm somewhat of a purist and dont like adding unnecessary gain/level stages or DAW processes.

• Members

I don't know how I missed this thread!!

I've taped a PZM mic to a percussionist's chest before. Gets an interesting perspective as the percussionist moves around and plays the various instruments.

Place your guitar amp facing straight up at the ceiling. Have the guitarist play through it while you get someone out in the room swinging a 57 around and around the amp.

• Moderators

Sometimes... Sing your doubled vocals without hearing what you're doubling to get that early Graham Parker / Costello vibe.

Sometimes... Track a scratch vocal and guitar or keys to map the song out. Then have the band perform to that 3 or 4 times for basics comping. Last take tell everyone to take chances with some fills, etc. to use in an earlier grooving take.

Sometimes... Taping a PZM onto a guitar cab along with your regular micing to get some thump.

Sometimes... At the end of tracking vocals, take a break and get drunk then do one more take!:idea:

• Members

have a big friggin party going on in the lounge or downstairs. seriously.

there's nothing like taking a break and talking to people who are excited for you (the band) and like your music. not to mention the constant "hey have a beer! how about a slice of pizza!, who wants a {censored}in cupcake!"

throw in a few weirdos for good measure too.

and don't forget the fun machine. or to lock the live room door.

it's not for everybody, but its great for a rock band with their {censored} together and no one in any kind of program with steps if ya know what i mean.

oh and strippers are great to have around when doing male vocals for rock or hip-hop.

• Members

If you have a live-oriented singer who doesn't respond well to recording, you can take speakers and pump 'em out into the room where you are singing, switching the cabling on one of them to throw 'em out of phase to minimize bleed into the vocal mic. Then invite a bunch of people over to watch the singer perform.

Unbend a paper clip and wind it around the strings of your guitar (over, under, over, under...). No, it won't be in tune, but it sure does sound fun, especially when you send it through effects. You can get a less metallic feel if you do this with a dollar bill.

• Moderators

Originally posted by seaneldon

rock and roll = reamping a mono drum overhead or room mic track to a bass amp

I have never heard that one. This sounds like a great way to get that kick drum to bloom. I've got an 18 foot ceiling room that I can't track in because of the neighbors... so I pile them in the studio but... re-amping into a bass amp in that room!

That is gonna ROCK! Booooom! :)

• Members

it's got a similar effect to the technique a good deal of folks use where they play back a drum track on the monitors, and mic the monitors. it basically prints the same track, but with the characteristics of a speaker, and not an acoustic instrument.

it's different from micing your monitors though, because its not very often that your monitors have big aluminum basket 15" woofers. and the bass amp's preamp section can be used for "dialing in" ridiculous tones, just like half the bassists i record try to do.

i came up with the idea while recording a band who had a TERRIBLE drumkit, and refused to use the studio's kit (great), and the tracks sounded really bad (not my fault).

so they said "can we do anything about that? i don't think they could sound any worse"

now when they asked this, i was reamping bass tracks. so i thought of something that could very well make them sound worse.

"yep. sure they can."

• Members

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

Unbend a paper clip and wind it around the strings of your guitar (over, under, over, under...). No, it won't be in tune, but it sure does sound fun, especially when you send it through effects. You can get a less metallic feel if you do this with a dollar bill.

Haha. I just tried this. Pretty interesting and NOISY!:eek:

I can post a clip if anyone is interested in some noisy-ass paper-clipped metal riffs. Cool sh*t. Thanks bro! :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by EngineGuitarist

have a big friggin party going on in the lounge or downstairs. seriously.

there's nothing like taking a break and talking to people who are excited for you (the band) and like your music. not to mention the constant "hey have a beer! how about a slice of pizza!, who wants a {censored}in cupcake!"

throw in a few weirdos for good measure too.

and don't forget the fun machine. or to lock the live room door.

it's not for everybody, but its great for a rock band with their {censored} together and no one in any kind of program with steps if ya know what i mean.

oh and strippers are great to have around when doing male vocals for rock or hip-hop.

sounds like my kind of session! careful of the shrooms, though, as you tend to forget what you're doing!

Archived