Sign in to follow this  
Twangster

Replacement Tuners For SX Strat

Originally posted by Chris Gansz

Get Pings.

The SX tuners on my stl50 look like pings. I wouldn't be surprised if they came out of the same factory.

Originally posted by morgue3326

The SX tuners on my stl50 look like pings. I wouldn't be surprised if they came out of the same factory.

That's what they appear to be on mine as well. I've got after-market Pings on two old guitars I fixed up and they work fine.

It's more likely that the nut, bridge, or neck relief is the culprit with any tuning issues.

Originally posted by bgmacaw

That's what they appear to be on mine as well. I've got after-market Pings on two old guitars I fixed up and they work fine.

It's more likely that the nut, bridge, or neck relief is the culprit with any tuning issues.

I don't know - the Pings on my other guitars, compared to stock SX tuners, feel a bit smoother. The tuners on my SX '57 feel a bit gritty. Maybe there's a "cure" someone can offer so we wouldn't have to replace the tuners, especially if they may be both Pings?

I replaced mine with vintage style klusen look a likes. Stew mac & guitarfetish stock them, though you also need the conversion bushings and a careful hand to drill the countersunk holes.

That is one of the things I was impressed with on my SX. The tuners have been very smooth and stable. Much better than on my Squier 51.

I don't know if you take them off if there is anyplace to stick some grease in like on Klusens.