Sign in to follow this  
GAS Man

Compare Seymour Duncan SH-14 Custom Five w SH-5 Duncan Custom

I can see from the descriptions that the Sh-14 Custom Five is an alnico V and the SH-5 Custom is a ceramic,

But I'd like to hear from experienced users how they contrast and compare.

Based on their DC resistance specs, it looks like they both have about the same output.

I'm thinking about one for a bridge pup in a mahogany Yamaha SG700S.

Want some thunk and harmonics. I might be giving this guitar to my kid who is currently in a metal phase.

It currently has a '59 in the neck and a PG in the bridge. The PG is not working out well with that guitar.

It would definitely match well with mahogany. Main difference to me is the custom 5 is a bit warmer, less brittle and harsh, most likely due to the alnico instead of ceramic.

According to Seymour Duncan, the Custom, the Custom 5, and the Custom Custom are all the exact same pickup. The only difference is the magnet. That being said:

I have a Custom 5 (Alnico V) in an alder bodied strat (the tobacco fotoflame one)

and

I have the Custom Custom (Alnico II) in mahagony set neck Schecter.

Both are great for thunk and harmonics and high as well as low gain stuff.

Generally, the Custom with a ceramic will probably sound a litter brighter.

Yeah I've put them both in the same mahogany guitar

The only real difference is the magnets... so you can make your decision on that alone. The Ceramic seems to be more geared towards a metalhead... it's easier to pull harmonics out of and has that bacon frying in a pan sizzle on the high gain channel. THe 14 is warmer and darker... a little less metal and more classic and refined.. IT can still do metal...it just doesn't have the same bite as the ceramic custom.

Consider the guitar rig you're playing out of... if you think it's too bright you may prefer the alnico to warm it up... if you want more bite and cut then you'd probably prefer the ceramic.

Just my experience... everybody is different