Best Oil for Ebony Fretboards?

Mike 24

• Members

I see this very same post, oh ... 'bout every 3 months it seems :rolleyes:;) .

Ebony is my favorite fretboard wood and I've got two axes now with it :D

Use lemon oil to clean the board with a little 000 steel wool if the buildup is really heavy.

IMHO lemon oil evaporates too quickly to really do the board any good for re-hydration purposes.

I use "Guitar Honey" after lemon oil. This stuff works like magic and you will really feel and hear the difference once your board is hydrated with it.

As far as cleaning/hydrating schedule goes ... I hit it once in the middle of summer and once in the middle of winter. Basically a "solstice" routine.

--Phrostbit

• Members

Originally posted by Phrostbit
IMHO lemon oil evaporates too quickly to really do the board any good for re-hydration purposes.

I use "Guitar Honey" after lemon oil. This stuff works like magic and you will really feel and hear the difference once your board is hydrated with it.

As far as cleaning/hydrating schedule goes ... I hit it once in the middle of summer and once in the middle of winter. Basically a "solstice" routine.

--Phrostbit

hydrate? oils do nothing of the sort..that is accomplished via the RH of the environment the guitar is kept in.

• Members

Originally posted by k4df4l

hydrate? oils do nothing of the sort..that is accomplished via the RH of the environment the guitar is kept in.

Ok ... if you want to get technical, it's not literally hydrating the board ... but replacing the oils in the wood :p :p :freak: . But I think I got my point across. :idea:

--Phrostbit

• Members

Originally posted by Phrostbit
Ok ... if you want to get technical, it's not literally hydrating the board ... but replacing the oils in the wood
:p
:p
:freak:
. But I think I got my point across.
:idea:

--Phrostbit

explain that one for me...technically

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

lemon oil is really mineral spirits with lemon scent added. No lemons involved. It's a solvent that willstrip out the wood oils in your fingerboard if used long term

I vote for walnut oil. A true drying oil.

fwiw, lemon oil is generally mineral oil w/ solvents (that could be mineral spirits) and sometimes scent added.

...ps guys, I am still waiting for all the unbiased technical info about nurishing the wood with oil and crap...

• Members

Originally posted by k4df4l

fwiw, lemon oil is generally mineral oil w/ solvents (that could be mineral spirits) and sometimes scent added.

...ps guys, I am still waiting for all the unbiased technical info about nurishing the wood with oil and crap...

I don't think it is possible to nourish something that is dead.

Archived