Starting a Professional Basement Studio

• Members

Ok, so I guess from here I can ask which DAW systems do you guys recommend? I've told mackie is an excellent way to go.

I want to use a Mac computer.. should I go a different route. I'm very computer savvy so I can build one myself if thats a better route.

and whats the deal with an ADAT. is that a completely different route?

Regards,
Nick

• Members
Originally posted by nickname

Ok, so I guess from here I can ask which DAW systems do you guys recommend?

The one that you like the most.

They all do different things. If you want to do lots of loops, you might choose something different than if you wanted to primarily record using mics.

Pro Tools on a Mac works fine with me. YMMV.

I want to use a Mac computer.. should I go a different route. I'm very computer savvy so I can build one myself if thats a better route.

Buy the DAW that you want, then choose the platform that supports the DAW the best.

and whats the deal with an ADAT. is that a completely different route?

Nick, I'm confident that if you do a search on Google you'll figure this out for yourself.

• Members

ahhh see I got ADAT and DAW mixed up.

So basically I should choose my software of choice, and then choose a computer that compliments it the most.

Currently I've been using Cubase, but I would love to use ProTools instead....if it's worth the xtra $$$

• Members

Man, there are a lot of great posts on here. Purchasing desicions galore! I think a good route to consider would be to ask yourself a question: "How long can I wait to start recording?"

If you can wait awhile....I would buy things that will not depreciate quickly first and I would buy used: a few choice mics, preamps, etc. Then, I would purchase the computer stuff/interfaces, etc. So many advances in a short amount of time--sopmetimes waiting to buy the throwaways/upgradeables is best accomplished last in the chain. I just heard a rumor that there is a new disc media coming that can hold 30 gigs...SACD and DVD audio haven't even caught on yet!!!

• Members

It's all about Nick prioritizing. He has to figure out what he's shooting for, and prioritize his needs.

My other bit of advice would be not to buy junk. Buy something that you're going to use, not just junk to get you going. You end up wasting money and creating clutter.

• Members

jasps,

very well put. things with depreciation can be put at the end of the list. very smart thinking. and like you said it all comes back to "how long can i wait to start recording"

I guess in my mind now, I plan on doing this:

1. Room Acoustics
2. Pre-Amplifiers
3. Signal Processors? (which ones are necessary. I would almost thing that signal processors will begin to become obsolete or unneccary with all the plugins available these days. comments?)
4. Microphones
5. Computer/Interfaces

make sense?

thanks so much guys! if you got time check out my post about "Which Firewire Device is more suited to my needs/future?"

• Members

jasps,

very well put. things with depreciation can be put at the end of the list. very smart thinking. and like you said it all comes back to "how long can i wait to start recording"

1. Room Acoustics

2. Pre-Amplifiers

3. Signal Processors? (which ones are necessary. I would almost thing that signal processors will begin to become obsolete or unneccary with all the plugins available these days. comments?)

4. Microphones

5. Computer/Interfaces

make sense?

thanks so much guys! if you got time check out my post about "Which Firewire Device is more suited to my needs/future?"

I can't comment for others, but it looks like your list works. The only thing I'd change is #3. I'd also put mics as number 2. If you need effects, most DAW's offer simple-to-use plugins. A lot of them are even useful, if you don't go over the top with them.

EDIT: And I agree, do not buy junk if you know you are serious about recording.

• Members

jasps,

1. Room Acoustics

2. Pre-Amplifiers

4. Microphones

5. Computer/Interfaces

make sense?

But when you do get the preamps, what are you gonna record with if mics are #4? And Since the computer interface comes last, what are you gonna record into?

What you can do is start with one preamp and one mic, and then add new ones as needed. Your first preamp can simply be the one in the computer interface.

As for signal processors, when using a DAW, I'd say wait. Most processing you can do with the DAW software. Later down the line you might want some offboard compression or an analog summing bus, but this is all worthless if you are still recording a PG58 through an Audiobuddy...

• Members

I should have mentioned that I do have a DAW with my laptop right now and i do have a few microphones which will be getting upgraded. I also have a focusrite trakmaster pro pre-amp.. its not bad, but i would love to have a few GREAT pre-amps

but I will swap microphones with signal processors. infact, i might not even need any with all the software plug-ins these days.

currently looking at getting the RME Fireface to start. that would cover preamps and daw and leave the ability to add on ADAT later

Archived