American Deluxe Strat woes

onelife

• Members

Last year I bought an American Deluxe 50th Anniversary Stratocaster - a great sounding, very playable guitar with one of the best vibrato systems I have ever used.

After a couple of months the truss rod started to rattle inside the neck. I brought this to the attention of a Fender rep who promptly arranged for a replacement neck. The new neck was somewhat thinner than the original but it was still very comfortable.

A couple of months later one of the pickups started cutting out from time to time. Once again, Fender provided a replacement and all was fine.

Last week I noticed a resonance in the guitar at certain notes. I quickly discovered that the truss rod had come loose in the replacement neck.

Has anyone else here on the forum had any experience or heard about any problems with this line of guitars?

I live in a humid environment but my 25 year old MIJ Strat is just fine as are my Gibsons (one old and one new). I am concerned that, even if Fender replaces the guitar, I may have the same problem again.

Any suggestions?

• Members

Did you ever consider tightening the nut on the rod a bit before throwing the guitar away?:confused:

It seems weird to me that you've decided, twice, that you need a new neck w/o mentioning the status of the truss rod nut. I can only imagine that you have either .08s on this guitar, else you have quite a bit of relief.

• Members

Originally posted by Faber

I do think you should ask for an entirely new instrument. There is a limit to how much repair work should go into a new instrument.

I agree. Each repair that gets made to your guitar depletes it's future value as a collector's item.

~Blackbelt

• Members
Originally posted by ExtraGum

Did you ever consider tightening the nut on the rod a bit before throwing the guitar away?
:confused:

It seems weird to me that you've decided,
twice
, that you need a new neck w/o mentioning the status of the truss rod nut. I can only imagine that you have either .08s on this guitar, else you have quite a bit of relief.

I use 10 - 52 gauge strings on all of my guitars and set the action high enough for aggressive slide playing so the truss rod has been adjusted appropriately.

On the original neck, the rattle was dependent on the position of the truss rod adjustment and only occurred under string tension. Unfortunately, when the neck relief was set properly it was in the "rattle" range.

The replacement neck rattles all the time - even if the neck is removed from the guitar.

Thanks to all who replied.

• Members

Originally posted by onelife

I use 10 - 52 gauge strings on all of my guitars and set the action high enough for aggressive slide playing so the truss rod has been adjusted appropriately.

On the original neck, the rattle was dependent on the position of the truss rod adjustment and only occurred under string tension. Unfortunately, when the neck relief was set properly it was in the "rattle" range.

The replacement neck rattles all the time - even if the neck is removed from the guitar.

Thanks to all who replied.

I'd say that might be the problem right there. Sounds like you put enough bow in the neck the rod is hitting something. Maybe you should try replacing the nut to lift the strings and keep the neck a bit straighter.

• Members

Originally posted by onelife

Yeah, like I said, sounds like you have excessive relief, which suggests that there is nothing wrong with the neck, and therefore that a new neck won't help anything.

I'm no slide player, but as walt says, a tall nut is usually installed for dedicated slide work. The guitar is designed to have at least minimal tension on the truss rod when set up correctly. Sounds like you need a guitar w/o a truss rod at all if you intend for the strings to be the only thing pulling against the natural bow of the neck.

• Members

My 25 year old MIJ Strat is setup the same way and I have never had any neck issues with it.

I don't play slide exclusively and I am used to heavy strings and high action for standard playing.

Fender and the dealer I bought the guitar from are being very helpful about this and we are all working together to find the best solution.

I'm going to have the dealer's tech inspect and setup the guitar and hopefully you guys are right about it just being out of adjustment.

Thanks again for the replies.

• Members

I have an 05 Deluxe and have zero issues with it. Sounds like you have a very different setup then most deluxe owners.

The neck on mine is amazing I lug it all over, its constantly ajusting to different temps here in Canada with only minute relief changes.

I 've only had to adjust the trust rod once.

I would have to say to put a slight tention on the trussrod or live with the rattle.

Archived