Does your volume knob get in the way when playing?

ads

• Members

does anyone find that their volme knob always interferes with the pinky on the picking hand? (on strat style guitars knob configuration)

i like to mod the guitar so the volume knob is down with the tone knob. My next guiatr will be one without the knob so close

Anybody else find this?

• Members

Many of us don't like the position of the Strat's volume knob. This has been discussed here many times.

What I used to do was wire my Strats for a master volume/master tone, only using the two bottom pickguard holes, and fill the unused hole with chrome plugs I got at the hardware store.

Now I just get my pickguards made with two holes, centered between where the three original holes would be.

Vintage clubber can get them for you.

• Members

Originally posted by Danocoustic

Many of us don't like the position of the Strat's volume knob. This has been discussed here many times.

What I used to do was wire my Strats for a master volume/master tone, only using the two bottom pickguard holes, and fill the unused hole with chrome plugs I got at the hardware store.

Now I just get my pickguards made with two holes, centered between where the three original holes would be.

thanks for the plug, Dano! ;)

• Members

I can't play a stock Strat to save my life because of the volume knob placement. It really all depends on who's playing the guitar. For some, that placement works great. For me, it interferes with my picking hand too much.

I take the Dano approach.

BothWarmoths1.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Danocoustic

Dano,

Got a wiring diagram anywhere for that config?? That's what I want to do with my beater strat and then maybe with my deluxe. I find myself playing my Squier 51 more than my beautiful strat, just because I don't have to deal with that volume knob.

• Members

Originally posted by Armitage

Obviously it depends on the guitar, but the volume knob on my Jacksons get in my way and is right under the Floyd's bar when I dump it... am I the ONLY guy who uses a Floyd on a Jackson?

Yeah, a Jackson's volume knob is in a weird place, my pinky always brushes against it...but never against my Strat. Those complaining about the Strat vol knob must have BIG hands! :freak:

• Members

Originally posted by chiro972

Dano,

Got a wiring diagram anywhere for that config?? That's what I want to do with my beater strat and then maybe with my deluxe. I find myself playing my Squier 51 more than my beautiful strat, just because I don't have to deal with that volume knob.

Check out www.guitarnuts.com for the diagram.

There's also this: www.volumebuster.com

• Members

Originally posted by Prages

I can't play a stock Strat to save my life because of the volume knob placement. It really all depends on who's playing the guitar. For some, that placement works great. For me, it interferes with my picking hand too much.

I take the Dano approach.

BothWarmoths1.jpg

Those look sweet. Did you make these?

I always have a problem with the switch on strats. Tend to bump it while strummin.

• Members

Originally posted by bmxdave

Those look sweet. Did you make these?

I always have a problem with the switch on strats. Tend to bump it while strummin.

I assembled those. Warmoth did all the 'making'. :D

As for the diagram question, here's where I generally get my diagrams. They seem to be the easiest for me to follow.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiringresources.22pickupdiagrams/

Archived