Turning a speaker into a microphone

• Members

so, WHERE, the side with no head and the speaker mic IS closest to the played kick then, correct?

this is why I was confused because at first I thought you meant you were using the 2nd kick as a kind of tunnel and the speaker mic was on the far end from the kit (which probably wouldn't show up much or sound that good if there was another head in between) . does that resonance show up a lot and make a huge difference on the speaker mic track since its behind it or is it more for the room mics? sounds intersting to try but if it won't make a big difference I might go with a smaller setup (no 2nd kick to save space). I'll probably try some different things, but I just wondered exactly what you meant as I don't have a speaker yet to try it.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

No tedcrilly, the poster is completely right. Speaker polarity is positive when the speaker moves out, negative when it moves in. If the speaker is facing the kick drum forward, then the first motion of the speaker will be in, or negative. Inverting the speaker polarity, or inverting the recorded signal, will correct the polarity to keep in in phase with any conventional mics also facing the same direction.

toddlians, I use an old 24" kick drum, with one head on. the other side, I have only the rim, no head (cut off leaving only the rim to allow for mounting the rim properly.

I use small bungee cords wrapped around the lugs on this side with no head to hold the speaker in place.

The played kick drum has a front head, depending on the style it may or may not have a modest mic hole in the lower left (viewed from the front). I place the speaker mic kick as close as possible, typcially about 4-5" from the played kick, just leaving enough room to sneak a front mic in.

I tune the back head on the speaker mic for some resonance usually, unless a very short attack kick is desired, then I use a folded piece of flannel sheet to dampen this head.

Yes but acoustic rarefactions and compressions propagate through media indistinctly. doofus boy;)

• Members

"Inverting the speaker polarity, or inverting the recorded signal, will correct the polarity to keep in in phase with any conventional mics also facing the same direction. "

Just read that there. Yes well done for pointing out the blatently obvious (sarcastic applause all round). But this is not what earth wind and fire was trying to say. What your talking about is relative phase which is of course imporatant.

• Members

Phil O'Keefe: In The Studio Trenches

Your damn right. I was in a studio prison and some guy came up with the idea of micing the bass drum with a 12'' cab. His tech ( amember of a rival gang) was called in to set it up. He picked up the cab and bet the other guy accross the head with it. The other guy retaliated and using a mic stand with an old numan attached lunged and bet him accross the head several times before the stand broke. A third guy broke up the fight by throwing a studer accros the back of the guy with the mic stand.

They are all the best of friends now and have even recorded a few tracks together. The violence in the prison studio was subject to an investigation which resulted in the upgrading of the prison desk. The old desk was thown into an engaged lavatory cubicle injuring the man inside and getting {censored} all over the desk.

A fifth man decided to write a comedy song about the lavatory incident but while writing the lyrics in the exercise yard had a kord mirco smashed over his head. The korg had been hiden up the attackers anus.

• Members

Originally posted by tedcrilly

Your damn right. I was in a studio prison and some guy came up with the idea of micing the bass drum with a 12'' cab. His tech ( amember of a rival gang) was called in to set it up. He picked up the cab and bet the other guy accross the head with it. The other guy retaliated and using a mic stand with an old numan attached lunged and bet him accross the head several times before the stand broke. A third guy broke up the fight by throwing a studer accros the back of the guy with the mic stand.

They are all the best of friends now and have even recorded a few tracks together. The violence in the prison studio was subject to an investigation which resulted in the upgrading of the prison desk. The old desk was thown into an engaged lavatory cubicle injuring the man inside and getting {censored} all over the desk.

A fifth man decided to write a comedy song about the lavatory incident but while writing the lyrics in the exercise yard had a kord mirco smashed over his head. The korg had been hiden up the attackers anus.

Somehow I just have a hard time Phil would make that many typos.

• Members

Phil sent this corrected version with apologies:

Your damn right. I was in a studio prison and some guy came up with the idea of micing the bass drum with a 12'' cab. His tech (a member of a rival gang) was called in to set it up. He picked up the cab and bet the other guy across the head with it. The other guy retaliated and using a mic stand with an old numan attached lunged and bet him across the head several times before the stand broke. A third guy broke up the fight by throwing a studer across the back of the guy with the mic stand.

They are all the best of friends now and have even recorded a few tracks together. The violence in the prison studio was subject to an investigation which resulted in the upgrading of the prison desk. The old desk was thrown into an engaged lavatory cubicle injuring the man inside and getting {censored} all over the desk.

A fifth man decided to write a comedy song about the lavatory incident but while writing the lyrics in the exercise yard had a korg micro smashed over his head. The korg had been hidden up the attackers anus.

• Members

Originally posted by tedcrilly

He picked up the cab and bet the other guy across the head with it. The other guy retaliated and using a mic stand with an old numan attached lunged and bet him across the head several times before the stand broke.

How much did he bet?

Numan from Sienfeld? What's he got to do with this?

Phil needs to learn to use the spellchecker better.

• Members

Well lets think about this. The speaker is being used as a transducer to pick up sound and thus record said sound. So, if the speaker is crappy, it would follow that the recreated sound that is recorded is crappy also.

I'd say the the two are pretty directly related, wouldn't you?

:)

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

Well lets think about this. The speaker is being used as a transducer to pick up sound and thus record said sound. So, if the speaker is crappy, it would follow that the recreated sound that is recorded is crappy also.

I'd say the the two are pretty directly related, wouldn't you?

:)

They're not.

• Members

Where could you post any picture of your speaker mic? i cant get it very well how it is set up. So what do you think is the difference between the way you had it set up and puting the speaker just on a smaller pvc (or any other way of hanging it that is not making a tube aroung the speaker) tube like the guy that posted pictures here did?

• Members

Using a cylindrical chamber with a resonant head gives the speaker more of a resonant chamber, and more sustain, which may or may not be desired.

I don't have any pictures of the setup, and am in need of a new digital camera. It's quite simple, cut the head completely off the rim, use the lugs to wrap small bungees around and clip them to the speaker at 4 points to suspend the speaker in the drum.

Archived