Finding a sweetspot on a speaker

• Members

Zooey "In my small project studio, I get around this by splitting off the guitar and getting a DI track at the same time I'm recording the amp. If my first attempt at placement is off, I reamp the dry signal and place the mic without a guitar slung around my neck. This has easily improved my miced amp tone 100%.

I've heard this term several times. What does reamp mean? I reamp the dry signal?

• Members

Originally posted by brian123

I've heard this term several times. What does reamp mean? I reamp the dry signal?

Basically, you record a track of guitar straight in through a direct box. It sounds pretty lousy at this point. You send that track back out through an output of your audio interface into an amp, and you mic the amp. This way you can try several different combinations of mics, amps, amp settings and effects--all without playing the same part again and again.

The caveat is that the line-level guitar signal coming from your interface is not at the proper level or impedence to interface with a guitar amp. You can use a passive direct box connected in reverse to correct this, or you can buy a specialty reamp box.

• Members

Originally posted by Zooey

One thing I do agree with is that it is nearly impossible to position the guitar mic when you're the guy with the guitar hanging around his neck.

Actually i have a good solution for this.

Get some of those Shure in ear monitors( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-E2-Sound-Isolating-Earphones?sku=243600 ) and use those when positioning the mic.

They block out room sound like good ear plugs and give you the sound at the board.

• Members

bastupungen
" You can also check out the Extreme Isolation Headphone. I have them myself and they work great!"

I have these headphones myself. Can you explain why these are better for finding a sweetspot or positioning a mike than just a pair of ordinary phones. Why do these do a better job? Bastupungen, How do you use these Extreme isolation headphones to position mikes?

Originally posted by Rhino Madness

Isolating headphones or earphones are better than regular headphones because they cut the direct sound that comes from the source and let you hear only what goes through the mic and recording chain even when you stand right next to the source.

Egg-zach-lee! :thu:

Get some Extreme Iso's and a Frontier Designs Tranzport and your life as a solo studio operator / guitarist will become MUCH easier. :)

• Members

You guys keep talking about finding the spot on the speaker where the hiss is the loudest???!?!?!? I find if I place a 57 where the speaker has the least noise it is the sweet spot for playing lead guitar.

I always get GREAT, full and singing lead sounds.
Sometimes my rhythm guitars have a bit too much mud in them, but, I think that comes from me really just learning how to mix and what freqs to cut so I don't muddy up the midrange.

Gary

Archived