alternatives to waves

• Members

the cool thing about waves is that their biggest bundle really has EVERY KIND OF PLUGIN. EQ, dynamics, reverbs, weird effects, everything. i do own the diamond bundle, but really don't use those plugins much, because I've got better stuff with both outboard and plugins.

for EQ, i use UAD-1's Cambridge for filtering and cuts, URS Neve and API emulations for some boosting stuff (keyboard tracks, DI bass), and Manley Massive Passive or Empirical Labs Lil Freq for almost everything else with boosting. BUT, if you don't have the luxury of having all of those options, the EQ in the waves bundles are a great alternative.

for dynamics, I use an LA2A, 1176, Chandler LTD2, or Distressor for outboard, but for tracks that don't necessarily call for such quality outboard compression, I do sometimes use the Waves compressors. I do use the URS buss compressors for a little extra "glue", but when it comes time to print a mix, it usually goes into a Smart C2 instead.

i've never used the waves reverb. i've got it though. i 100% use the kurzweil KSP8 for mono tracks, and UAD-1 Dream Verb for extra "depth" to drum groups.

so yeah, i have the biggest waves bundle because it's just useful to have, but most of my stuff goes to way better "specialized" plugins, or incredible outboard.

• Members

Originally posted by seaneldon

i've never used the waves reverb. i've got it though. i 100% use the kurzweil KSP8 for mono tracks, and UAD-1 Dream Verb for extra "depth" to drum groups.

For reverb, I use a TC Electronic M300 (hardware) via S/PDIF and RealVerb primarily.

I used the Waves reverb when I first got the RenMaxx bundle, and for whatever reason, didn't like it, maybe thinking it was a little "twinkie" sounding. Didn't really use it after that for easily over a year.

But for whatever reason, I decided to use it for a snare track a couple of months ago for a mixdown project, and the thing sounded really great! I don't know if it just happened to be that particular track or that I had "reoriented" my ear (or my bias) or whatever, but it worked really well for that track. I won't be so dismissive of it in the future.

~~~~~~~~

I didn't answer the original question to this thread because I can't really think of anything that has so many useful things in one bundle. I don't know that it's the best at any one thing, but it's far from the worst. I use the rEQ and rCompressor all the time and am happy with them.

You should know that I'd be even happier with a bunch of Manley Massive Passives and a couple of Distressors, and with only less than six shopping months until my birthday, you people can start saving up. It'll be payback for all my witty, inciteful, and informative posts... ;)

• Members

Well i really meant options regarding money :D i can afford the reinassence (or whatever it is written) but i wanted to know about options. Maybe McDSP native? how about the pluggo stuff

• Members

Originally posted by wooden

How many reverbs do you usually use in a mix?

Depends, but rarely more than two. I usually use one as an overall "glue" and then another one for specific items such as vocals or snares or whatever. Sometimes I'll use two in series because neither one is getting the effect I need (and this also creates a more complex, richer reverb sound), and that's the rare instance in which I may use three.

Reverbs all sound different, and they tend to be good at certain things, so it's good to take advantage of their strong points.

• Members

Originally posted by wooden

Well i really meant options regarding money
:D
i can afford the reinassence (or whatever it is written) but i wanted to know about options. Maybe McDSP native? how about the pluggo stuff

I looked into the Pluggo stuff, and it's more for special effects, which the Pluggo people will even tell you. If you are looking for a package that has all the usual stuff that you use for typical mixes - reverb, EQ, compression - Pluggo's not the bundle for you.

If, OTOH, you're looking for a bunch of odd filters, granulators, giving things an odd sense of space, and unusual things, Pluggo is the thing to get.

Archived