Do you think coated strings may reduce fret wear?

Acid Test

• Members

I'm not totally sure, but you would think so. I have Elixirs on my accoustic, and they sure sound great and have lasted excellently. Reduced fret-wear would be an added bonus. I'm thinking it's time I tried some of those kind of strings on my electrics as well.

-Mikey

• Members

Has anyone tried the coated colored strings? My X-1 had em on when i first bought the guitar but the coating was all worn away from picking. Looked pretty damn cool though sounded like crap which i attributed to the old age. Are they any good when new?

• Members

they wouldnt reduce fret wear at all.

The coating is on there to protect against the acid from your hands, but when you actually phsyicaly start banging on them coating wears off (especially where you strum).

The coating doesent change the fact that there is still something being pressed against your frets.

• Members

I am using a set of the DR Black Beauties coated strings on a Les Paul and have had them on for 2 months. I looked under the strings at the frets and the black coating is still there. The wear is only down where I pick.

Therefore, the coating is making contact with the frets, not the steel.

• Members

The thing I was thinking of is that I've been told (by a good guitar tech) that one of the reasons it's a good idea to change strings regularly is that once your sweat/body acids/whatever start to corrode the strings, then they start to act kind of like sandpaper on your frets, so I was thinking that if the coatings slow this process of corrosion, it follows that they might slow the 'sandpaper effect'. Maybe I'm out to lunch?

-Mikey

• Members

I think the impact would be so minimal that it really would have no bearing on fret wear. Something pushing up agains the frets = wear.

But on an electric, coated strings sound like ass in my opinion. I use Elixers on my acoustics and like them. I use Blue Steel on my bass and like them. Blue Steel or Elixer electric strings seem dead out of the box to me.

Archived