Recorderman Overheads

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

You've already lost that bet, I and a couple drummer friends tried it, not one of us felt comfortable with mics that close, and the image they captured was not even remotely a full picture of the kit. Glad it works for you, but is certainly doesn't work for any drummer I've even worked with, and I'm not putting my mics that close to any drummer or kit. At 2 sticks, or even 3, no cardiod sees the entire kit unless the kit is only kick and snare, the pattern isn't wide enough at that distance.

The bet was if i set them up, not you. Hard to imagine you're not doing something different than the rest of us, since so many engineers find this a very useful method, and you find it totally useless. Since I would never imply you are not a good engineer (and that is serious, no sarcasm intended), there must be some other reason why what works for us is total crap for you.

Anyway, you're welcome to drop in any time.

• Members

Two sticks is two sticks no matter who is setting them up.

Two sticks is about 28 inches. Using the same mics, an X-Y 8 feet over the kit is going to see a much bigger picture and yield a wider image than two mics 1/3 that distance from the source.

• Members

It is called the "two stick" method, by Recorderman's own admission, not because you have to use that distance, but because it is a handy measurement.

I use 34"-36" generally. Others here have stated that they too usually use a somewhat longer distance. The principle of phase coherency is what makes the method - not the particular distance.

I thought that was understood after all this discussion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey (where),

I was a little iffy on it, so I tried it but raised the mics about 40 inches or so. The drummer was about 5' 10" so he had some room above him. It worked out great and gave an AWESOME stereo image to the point where I only needed a little kick and snare just as re-inforcement (if you will). Granted, I'm 16, so I don't know any other methods or anything, but for me, It worked really well (and I'm pretty anal about how things sound).

Archived