32 I/O's for PT MP

Rats. :mad: Digi IMO really needs to offer more I/O in the LE / MP range. I'd love to use PT more as a tape deck and send each track via lightpipe to a digital board.

Being abole to use PT MP with the converters of your choice for all 18 channels is one benefit though... I just wish they hadn't disabled the remainder of the I/O when using PT. :(

Thanks for the info Mike. :)

• Members

Matt, I think Pro Tools has a lot going for it that other DAWs don't have, especially its elegant interface and ease of editing audio. That goes for Pro Tools LE too. However, I agree that the LE version in particular also has a lot of weaknesses in comparison to other DAWs. That's why I have copies of Pro Tools LE, Digital Performer, Logic Audio, and Cubase SX.

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe:

Rats.
:mad:
Digi IMO really needs to offer more I/O in the LE / MP range. I'd love to use PT more as a tape deck and send each track via lightpipe to a digital board.

Phil, as someone who advocates using more than one DAW, I think it's worth a reminder that most of Pro Tools LE's competitors equal or surpass it in that department. As you know, many offer more tracks and plug-in delay compensation, for example, while some also offer notation and other important features. Perhaps you may want to consider using Pro Tools LE for what it does best in tandem with another DAW that picks up the slack.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Personally I'm amazed they broke the 32 track limit, but IMHO making more than 18 i/o available is really going to cut into the HD market far too much for them to ever consider it, especially with the quality of 96k FW converters these days.

Ever since I heard about PT MPT, I've thought that increased I/O was really the next obvious step. Not unlimited I/O, nor as much as PT HD can handle, but 8 analog I/O's and two digital at 96 kHz is pretty limited, and having at least 16-18 at the higher sample rates is needed if you're going to track a rhythm section simultaneously. Of course, I personally would like to have 32 at any Fs, and only time will tell if Digidesign has that in the works or not - but personally I would really welcome it. :)

That, and MIDI notation! :mad:;)

Archived