2 channel mic pre around 1000 bucks

• Members

looking for something clean and smooth, useful for guitar and vocals... not really recording drums.. close to 1K, definately below 1500, used is fine.. doing folky rock, mellow 70s soft rock, and loungy jazzy bossa nova stuff

btw, i think a portico would be great, if anyone knows of one used

• Members

I'm making no claims that it is the best preamp in the world, but the Vintech 1272 (which sells for around $1350) is a very useful piece. I use it a lot on kick and snare. It doesn't have that third gain stage that other neve preamps have, which makes it less useful for recording really quiet sounds. But on something like kick or snare that is a non-issue. And the models by A-designs at the low end of their price scale don't have any more gain than the 1272.

This next suggestion might not be realistic, but some of the best deals in quality mic preamps are in the four channel models. For instance, both API and Daking offer one rack space four channel preamps that you can buy for about $600 per channel, and you'll get four world class preamps that you will use forever.

• Members

thanks for the suggestions so far, the pacifica sounds great, but it's not in my budget, i'll take a look at the manley... i don't think i want an api style for what i'm doing, they seem to be more cutting and aggresive, i'm looking for clean, smooth silky sounds.. but i don't have experience with them

• Members

Still have not heard the newest Meek --Twin Q but, you get alot for the $$--with A/D convertors --well under $700 used :thu:

sort of a Toft with converters;) The style of music you are addressing...is about 90% of our studio clients. The DVC does a great job :thu:

http://media.zzounds.com/media/brand,zzounds/twinq_large-6cdfee19795545cecc7e9ffd181bb0d3.jpg:

• Members

my thinking is either to probably get a high quality used pre, or maybe the rnp if i decide to go cheap... i've seen drawmer stuff on ebay around this price, also some focusrite. i don't think i trust joemeek, the toft doesn't seem to have a lot of reviews, but the ones i've seen are good...

i'm also very interested in the adk preamp ... which seems to be at a good price

• Members

The TwinQ is indeed one hell of a box for well under $1k. The "iron" switch on the mic pre gives it a weightier sound (transformer) and the compressor is classic optical stuff. The EQ is nice as well, as a whole it's a versatile piece that can crank out some different sounds depending on how you push it.

War

Archived