A real "Rock" gig!

• Members

The band leader of a nine-piece R&B band I work with (I play keys) had the brilliant idea of booking us into one of those public summer time outdoor concert series that Boston does. When I showed up with my rig, it turns out we were to set up on a barge moored in the harbor.

So here was the problem: every time a large boat cruised by (a frequent phenomenon), the damn barge would rock like a mechanical bull, and we were inundated with diesel fumes. One corner of the barge also smelled inexplicably like dog {censored}. (Fortunately, not my corner - that's where the guitar was...)

We had to play three one hour sets, and the band got a total of $1000 ($200 to the leader, $100 to the rest of us.) They did give us free food and parking.

The bright side: at least that night I didn't have to do sound, and the sound guys were friendly. The audience dug us too. And no one actually lost their lunch.

But I'm getting too old for this...

• Members

On the bright side it wasn't a full on "boat show"!! If you want a real adventure try playing one of those lovely 'twilight harbor cruises'... where the band's electricity is generated by the boat's generator [which changes frequency whenever the boat speeds up or slows down and plays unbe{censored}inglievable havoc with the tuning on a B-3!!!!!].

• Members

Done those too - Odyessey, etc.

Aside from the technical issues you mentioned, the excruciating pain in the buttocks load ins, and the 100Hz engine noise that wipes out all your low end...

...the worst thing about those boats is they usually treat you like {censored}, and if they won't feed you or let you use the bar, you can't wander off to a dive (no pun intended) around the corner between sets unless you're a very strong swimmer!

Archived