Sign in to follow this  
Bloozcat

GFS 1960's Repro HOT Alnico Tele pickup

So, has anyone bought and used one of these pickups in a Tele?

It's the I30 model bridge pickup in 9.6k.

If so, how would you rate it and why?

yes...overall I like it quite a bit.

I don't like it in combo with the alnico TC neck....the stronger neck pup would be a much better match. Very solid big rawk output with a good range while not being to harsh, definitly not "vintagey." Cleans up nicely with the volume rolled off. The fiberboard bobbin is discoloring at the end where my hand hits it occasionally and is getting a bit ragged.

I've got it's brother, the 50's Repro, in my SX-quire. I like it. It's able to get some good Tele tones, particularly something close to the Albert Collins' "Frosty" tone.

I went with it because I'd heard from others that the 60's Repro did rock very well but it was a little tricky to tone it down for blues or country.

Originally posted by k4df4l

yes...overall I like it quite a bit.

I don't like it in combo with the alnico TC neck....the stronger neck pup would be a much better match. Very solid big rawk output with a good range while not being to harsh, definitly not "vintagey." Cleans up nicely with the volume rolled off. The fiberboard bobbin is discoloring at the end where my hand hits it occasionally and is getting a bit ragged.

What pickup are you using in the neck? k-ohms?

I've got a Vintage Vibe Alnico III neck pickup in 7.0k that I was looking to pair with a bridge. I don't want the neck pickup overpowering the bridge.

It's interesting that GFS didn't publish a resistence rating for the IO7.

It does sound like the 1950's Repro at 7.2k is a little more in line with the neck pickup I have as bgmacaw suggest with his post. Sounds like it might pair better with yours too k4df4l.

After all, a Tele should sound like a Tele. I wouldn't want to depart to much from that classic vibe.

I have one in my Tele project guitar. Let me tell you, this is an excellent pickup for an unbelievable price. Oh so twangy and bright. Very close to American Tele in tone and I think much better than the MIM Tele stock pup. Highly recommended. I replaced a Duncan Hot Rail Tele Bridge, decided I wanted a more vintage tone, and I really got it with this. And its not as noisey as I was afriad of.

Honestly, I was buying a set of Dream 90s for an Epi SG Special and I was buying a 3-saddle bridge for the Tele from Guitar Fetish. Not shopping for a cheap tele pup, but an expensive one. I was shopping around for a bridge pup and was seriously going to go Lollar, Fralin or Vintage Vibe. I have a lot of money in this guitar and wanted a high end, vintage toned pup. When doing my order, I though, what the hell, for the price might as well try it out. I was expecting total suck. It is staying in, I like it that much.

Read some other reviews, nobody seems to be disappointed in it. Once of the best pickup values and tones out there. I want to try their neck pup out now!

tsg1.jpg

One more note -- as someone else mentioned, it now makes the neck pup seem a little lacking. I have a Kent Armstrong Hot Tele Neck in there. Sounds really good, but just not as hot/loud. In the middle position, the two combined are out of this world though. New neck pup is in the future.

Originally posted by curseoftruth

One more note -- as someone else mentioned, it now makes the neck pup seem a little lacking. I have a Kent Armstrong Hot Tele Neck in there. Sounds really good, but just not as hot/loud. In the middle position, the two combined are out of this world though. New neck pup is in the future.

those Kent Armstrong tele pickups are great bang for the buck. I have a set in my frankentele wired with a 4 way switch. It sounds killer!

Originally posted by curseoftruth

I have one in my Tele project guitar. Let me tell you, this is an excellent pickup for an unbelievable price. Oh so twangy and bright. Very close to American Tele in tone and I think much better than the MIM Tele stock pup. Highly recommended. I replaced a Duncan Hot Rail Tele Bridge, decided I wanted a more vintage tone, and I really got it with this. And its not as noisey as I was afriad of.

Honestly, I was buying a set of Dream 90s for an Epi SG Special and I was buying a 3-saddle bridge for the Tele from Guitar Fetish. Not shopping for a cheap tele pup, but an expensive one. I was shopping around for a bridge pup and was seriously going to go Lollar, Fralin or Vintage Vibe. I have a lot of money in this guitar and wanted a high end, vintage toned pup. When doing my order, I though, what the hell, for the price might as well try it out. I was expecting total suck. It is staying in, I like it that much.

Read some other reviews, nobody seems to be disappointed in it. Once of the best pickup values and tones out there. I want to try their neck pup out now!

tsg1.jpg

This is the 1960 Repro tele bridge P/U you're talking about and not the 1950 Repro, curseoftruth?

Id suggest a GFS Classic Split HB for the Neck and tap the HB. I used a push/pull volume pot for the HB/Single selection.

My bridge is a GFS Alnico Fat Tele. While not really sounding fat to my ear it does sound like it is half-way btwn a '52 and a '62 Fender bridge pu...quacky, sweet and hot.

The neck HB and the FT single coil bridge match up REAL well.

GFS...FANTASTIC bang for your buck...but they are not Fralins.