Your preamp arsenal

• Members

i've got plenty of different preamps. i experiment with different mics and pres on everything, at least as much as i can, every time a new band walks in. work would no longer be interesting if i put the same mic on a guitar or vocal every single time.

• Members

I don't have that many preamps, but I do use different ones depending on the application (I have two RNPs, a Neve Portico, and a Peavey VMP-2, all of which sound very different from each other).

Also, one of my preamps has two very different settings, and I like to vary that depending on the application.

• Members

Great River ME-1NV

Chandler Germanium

Amek Angela (blue) 25 channels.

In retirement Focusrite Platinum Voice Master

Use them as I need them, but I do the most experimenting with the Great River, which I love; and the Germanium which sounds great and has so many tonal variations.

• Members

I've just got a Merc Avalon 737, (unreal on vocals and especially background vocals and bass & acoustic guitar). A Grace 101 which is super with certain mics and has a fantastic line in for direct acoustic guitar and an RNP which is good on everything, especially stereo stuff like synth modules and Roland VG-8 etc. Hill and Mackie channels too.

I'd really like a polar oppisite of what I've got; mostly clean clear sounding stuff.

Maybe a Vintech, eh Phil? ;)

• Members

I couldn't really record in my studio through all the same preamps even if I wanted to, because I use all outboard pres, and don't have 16 of any one kind.

I pick from Pendulum, Tube Tech, Daking, API, Vintech, ATI, and DACS. I use my mixing board only for setting up headphone mixes, because the preamps are of lesser quality than the outboard ones.

• Members

Originally posted by D Charles

... an RNP which is good on everything, especially stereo stuff like synth modules and ...

I bought one for just that purpose and I totally agree. Synths sound wonderful throught the RNP.

Great River ME-1NV

FMR RNP

Seventh Circle Audio N72 x 2 (2 each of the others are on the way so I can decide what will suit me best)

Mackie 1202 VLZ which I no longer use for recording.

I could be happy with several channels of RNP and at least 1 ME.

For budget: RNP

If I could only have one: ME-2NV (limited by my experience but, sometimes ignorance is bliss ;-)

I would prefer a variety of compressors and, to a slightly lesser extent, EQs.

Although, RNP->RNC->ASC-T for every output would be quite nice I think. The only bitch would be the wall worts.

Archived