Why The New Music Biz Gurus Are Frauds

richardmac

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

The trick, these days, is to accept that if you are not willing to make the music the pop culture gurus embrace, then you are destined to be a niche artist at best. The days of 'rock stars' are pretty much over.

Look at the R&B 'stars' of the 50s...they were on small labels like Okeh, Chess...or think back to the pre-Dylan era in folk music, where even the best known 'stars', like Peter, Paul and Mary, the Kingston Trio, Pete Seeger, etc. were not 'making money hand over fist', but were making a living....the 'scene' is going back to that, IMHO. The independent labels (not just indie rock either, but across the board) will re-emerge, and will find their places, the major labels will still have their stable of 'super stars', but their stalls will be fewer, and smaller. The key will be going back to exposure, but now, rather than radio, it will be YouTube, and whatever comes along to replace it, just as MTV did in the 80s...the music will find its way out...just as it always has.

• Members

I hope you are right guys, my fear is, is the population more or LESS music educated than 10 years ago? The masses are more and more bombarded with crap music (IMO), it can't be good for next generations of fans and artists. Less people will be open to hear something different, something challenging. Less people loving music for what it is. Less people taking the time it takes to grow into loving a band or artist. Instant gratification and attention deficit disorder.

• Members

Metal is kind of it's own thing, but generally if you're playing at the right places you'll be playing along with other like-minded bands and hopefully have a somewhat built in crowd if you put in work to get the word out.

Yeah, good luck with that. Metal bands are perhaps the most narrowly focused sub-sub-sub-sub genres on the planet. I see it her on HC all the time- death metal guys hate the nu-metal guys hate the punk metal guys hate the southern metal guys.....

• Members

lol so true.

Metal bands try to be edgy, like they don't care about anything... but they are the ones stamping flyers everywhere in my town. WE CAN'T EVEN READ YOUR F*CKING BAND NAME GUYS

"Spiky Unreadable Font Logo, this Tuesday at 6:30, at McNutnuzzles Bar and Grille and Chinese Laundry."

• Members

There is another, albeit rare, way that some very talented people find success and fame:

They get 'discovered' by a famous and successful performer while playing at some venue or other. Here in Austin you are always able to see some pretty big stars just chilling and watching a new artist in the many music venues that exist here. It's almost a tradition.

Bands and artists around here play their hearts out for every show - they realize that you never know who might be listening, and they know that having a professional attitude means playing full out, even if it's for a single patron.

Of course, you might do that for your entire life and still eat canned tuna with a spoon, but without the desire and dedication and talent, there will be no success or fame.

If it's about the music, you will keep at it. If it's all about YOU, you are probably doomed anyway.

• Members

I hope you are right guys, my fear is, is the population more or LESS music educated than 10 years ago? The masses are more and more bombarded with crap music (IMO), it can't be good for next generations of fans and artists. Less people will be open to hear something different, something challenging. Less people loving music for what it is. Less people taking the time it takes to grow into loving a band or artist. Instant gratification and attention deficit disorder.

Nonsense. The "masses" have always been bombarded with "crap music" for as long as there has been a mass market for music. Anyone who tells you otherwise suffers from selective memory.

Musical discrimination - or the development of musical "taste" - is the responsibility of the consumers, not the producers.

• Moderators
There is another, albeit rare, way that some very talented people find success and fame:

They get 'discovered' by a famous and successful performer while playing at some venue or other. Here in Austin you are always able to see some pretty big stars just chilling and watching a new artist in the many music venues that exist here. It's almost a tradition.

still, that is a fairly slim shot...more of a dream occurrence than a game plan....a we say here (L.A.), 'if you are expecting someone to come in and discover you, you are going to be waiting a long time....'

• Members

Nonsense. The "masses" have always been bombarded with "crap music" for as long as there has been a mass market for music. Anyone who tells you otherwise suffers from selective memory.

Musical discrimination - or the development of musical "taste" - is the responsibility of the consumers, not the producers.

QFT

• Members

Yes, there was crap, but also a nice dose of great, great music and artists, developped over many years.

Now, there is a tiny bit of great, and everything else is crap. (in mainstream)

No one is telling me that, it is my own conclusions. I have grew up in the 90s, so of course its special for me, but I can find lots of great artists in the 50s, 60s,70s, 80s... I don't think the 90s are better. I just think the last 10 years have been crap.

• Members

Yes, there was crap, but also a nice dose of great, great music and artists, developped over many years.

Now, there is a tiny bit of great, and everything else is crap. (in mainstream)

No one is telling me that, it is my own conclusions. I have grew up in the 90s, so of course its special for me, but I can find lots of great artists in the 50s, 60s,70s, 80s... I don't think the 90s are better. I just think the last 10 years have been crap.

That's my point, exactly. You find "lots" of great artists from earlier decades. What you don't find is the vast majority of the artists who have disappeared into well-deserved obscurity.

It's the same now as it has always been. The only difference with today's music is that we don't have the filter of time passed to weed out the forgettable artists.

• Members

The only difference with today's music is that we don't have the filter of time passed to weed out the forgettable artists.

One other difference is that while it's true we always had some crap, today we don't have the filter of record companies to keep the overwhelmingly vast majority of crap that should never have been recorded in the first place that the consumer has to sift through to find something good.

• Members

I kinda sorta have to somewhat maybe disagree with you there. As far as popular-but not-quite-mainstream and the slightly-to-very obscure stuff, labels are an integral part of the current music scene. Artists that carry the brand of particular labels are pretty much pre-qualified as good.

As far as rock/pop goes there's Kill Rock Stars, Warp, Tomlab, Thrill Jockey, Domino, Rough Trade, 4AD, Barsuk, Anti-/Epitaph, and Fonal, just to name a few.

Hip Hop/Electronic has Stones Throw, Definitive Jux, Ninja Tune, Alpha Pup, Planet Mu, Anticon, QN5, and many others.

Every sector of music has it's groups of labels that people look to to showcase the best and brightest.

• Members

I kinda sorta have to somewhat maybe disagree with you there. As far as popular-but not-quite-mainstream and the slightly-to-very obscure stuff, labels are an integral part of the current music scene. Artists that carry the brand of particular labels are pretty much pre-qualified as good.

As far as rock/pop goes there's Kill Rock Stars, Warp, Tomlab, Thrill Jockey, Domino, Rough Trade, 4AD, Barsuk, Anti-/Epitaph, and Fonal, just to name a few.

Hip Hop/Electronic has Stones Throw, Definitive Jux, Ninja Tune, Alpha Pup, Planet Mu, Anticon, QN5, and many others.

Every sector of music has it's groups of labels that people look to to showcase the best and brightest.

My point is that anyone can create a label and release a record, or release one without a label at all and get it in stores, on internet outlets, online radio, etc. No one could do that 25 years ago. A label decided what got recorded, distributed, and marketed. Not anymore.

As far as those names you mentioned, it only proves my point. Almost No one outside a very small circle has heard of any of them.

• Members

I agree, anyone can make a record these days (which I see as a good thing, personally). But this has thankfully lead to a very rigorous filtering system. Labels like the ones I mentioned along with online publications like Pitchfork and the AV Club as well as the DJs from radio stations like WFMU have made it easy to find the good stuff.

• Members

I see it as a good thing too. Sure there's almost all {censored} out there but i'm not wading through it. I'm checking out stuff I read about from trusted sources, (American Songwriter, Paste, The Boot, etc ), friends, fellow songwriters and family. That's it. That's the filter and everyone has access to the same filter. I mean, I don't know anyone who wastes time wading through bull{censored} on myspace to find good music. I don't think anyone ever did that. Trusted sources and radio was always the filter. Maybe a little TV as well. I susepct it's always been this way and really the masses of {censored}ty wannabee's never played into it from the beginning. I see this as a GREAT TIME TO BE A GREAT SINGER SONGWRITER. Nothing really matters if you aren't.

• Members

It IS a good thing that anyone can record and release their music. No one should ever be the "good music" police.

Yessir. +1. But the flip side is the said demise of CDBaby, Myspace etc....

I think the difference is that it is solely up to the musician to write, create, and market every facet of their life as a musician. Therefore, the guru's stand ready to pounce since your average 20 something muso doesn't have a clue about that stuff at the start.....

And again, all any one can ever do is make the best art you can, and sell the hell out of it and let the chips fall where they may. Hell, that's all an effin' label ever did!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Yessir. +1. But the flip side is the said demise of CDBaby, Myspace etc....

I think the difference is that it is solely up to the musician to write, create, and market every facet of their life as a musician. Therefore, the guru's stand ready to pounce since your average 20 something muso doesn't have a clue about that stuff at the start.....

And again, all any one can ever do is make the best art you can, and sell the hell out of it and let the chips fall where they may. Hell, that's all an effin' label ever did!

I think it's telling that there is far more money to be made being a merchant of "how to " than actually making music.

Archived