Pre for home (when away from the studio)

• Members

I'd like to know what you guys think, & what option you would do.

While I'm at home i use an MBox. I've been wanting to try out some Mic/DI pre's that have SPDIF outs that i can plug right into my MBox. Whats out there under $500.

Would you even bother? Think I should just be happy with the MBox itself?

Something just doesn't feel right about tracking a vocal line, doumbek rif, or bass line directly into the mbox. I have some superstition about it.

• Members

Original M-box or M-box 2?

For $500 you won't find anything of any significant improvement over the original M-box's superb Focusrite pres, and both have decent converters. The M-2's pres are a bit more sterile (ala the 002) but still sound very good, and $500 won't buy any real improvement.

What are you using for mics? I'm thinking that might be a better place to invest $500, even if you have good mics, you could add to the flavors of your collection.

• Members

Originally posted by rhythminmind

I've been wanting to try out some Mic/DI pre's that have SPDIF outs that i can plug right into my MBox. Whats out there under $500.

If you are just looking for a mic pre, there's a few options (Brick, RNP, etc.). However, a mic pre WITH S/PDIF...can't think of anything better than what you've already got for $500.

Archived