All time best fender amp?

deva_da_man

• Members

For that classic fender sound, playing a strat clean to SLIGHTLY driven...

Which one do you think? and why?

Interested in opinions, but please give an explanation, it doesn't help me choose when you say "Just get a Bassman cuz it's da best and is fully sick", etc

Thanks.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well for clean to slightly driven a 4*10 Bassman is a good place to start lol. The reason is that they tend to break up easier than other fenders, in my experience. The twins have a great clean tone, probably one of the best ones fender has to offer, however all the ones I played stayed way too clean. The DRRI, Vibrolux etc are all great but you would have to get an attenuator to get them to break up at a reasonably low level.

• Members

Fender TR's and DR's were and still are, designed to be played slightly overdriven. For me, that's what overdrive is supposed to sound like. Warm and sparkly at the same time. :)

But tone is so subjective. To make the proper choice, you need to go play different amps.

• Members

"Best" for what size room?

Bedroom, living room, garage, small club, big club, arena?

I've owned a Pro Jr, Blues Jr and a DRRI.

I kept the DRRI and love it every day but must admit it's overdriven much more than it's used clean. It's just too much fun to goose it. I have it set up with hotter tubes to break up earlier, a task for which the stock Jensen 12" speaker is voiced beautifully. Not that it doesn't do clean well also, there's just not a lot of headroom on mine. .

With different tubes and maybe a more HiFi speaker a DRRI could be a fabulous clean machine too. 22 watts at 45lbs is a nice portable combination that'll fit a lot of applications.

• Members

I used to think Super Reverbs were the baddest Fender amps. That's what I learned on in the early 70's (my oldest brother's). Now I like Bassmans because they have such a great clean sound and if you put a stompbox in front of them they'll rise up with major nastiness. Plus, you can come by them relatively cheap.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by deva_da_man

For that classic fender sound, playing a strat clean to SLIGHTLY driven...

Which one do you think? and why?

Interested in opinions, but please give an explanation, it doesn't help me choose when you say "Just get a Bassman cuz it's da best and is fully sick", etc

Thanks.

"That classic Fender sound"...WHICH classic Fender sound???

Dick Dale: Showman with outboard reverb tank.

Too many guitarists to name, from the Ventures to Funk Bros./Motown to SRV: DR, TR

Clapton, Duane Allman: Champ

At the Concert for Bangla Desh, Harrison was plugged into a 4-pack of SF Champs.

My point: you have to define the sound that you mean to get the answer you want.

• Members

Originally posted by hardtdc

I used to think Super Reverbs were the baddest Fender amps. That's what I learned on in the early 70's (my oldest brother's). Now I like Bassmans because they have such a great clean sound and if you put a stompbox in front of them they'll rise up with major nastiness. Plus, you can come by them relatively cheap.
:thu:

I agree.

I use the HRD right now, and have for a five years, because of it's versatility, but if I didn't I'd use a bassman (I had an old late 50s piggyback one when I learned) follwed by a Super, followed by a 60s DeLuxe, whose only problem for me is 22 watts not being enough to get clean sounds at a louder volume.

• Members

I'm not being a smartass or anything, but currently on the market, the best sounding Fender amp is a Peavey Classic 50 410. Through the bright input, with the presence and treble adjusted properly, you get that beatiful Fender sparkly clean. And the stock overdrive is better than the Fender Hot Rods.

Flame away, but it's also about half of what a new Bassman costs.

• Members

I own a Super 112, a Pro Junior and a Twin Reverb.

The one's that I'm possibly most interested in trying next are the Blues Deluxe and Blues DeVille models.

They are designed to capture vintage tones with the benefit of channel switching and gain controls. These are a notch step above the Hot Rod series.

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-FEN-2232200-000--src-Y0201GL100005535.html?cm_ven=Google&cm_cat=SearchEngine&cm_pla=keyword&cm_ite=blues_deluxe&GCID=S7870x004&KEYWORD=blues+deluxe

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-FEN%202232100%20000--src-Y0201GL100005538.html?cm_ven=Google&cm_cat=SearchEngine&cm_pla=keyword&cm_ite=blues_deville&GCID=S7870x004&KEYWORD=blues+deville#

Archived