Can we talk Microphones?

• Members

Beyer mics are underestimated, the M201, the M88 are wonderful mics. The M130/160/260/500 are brigter sounding ribbons and they are simply great mics.

For example: I recorded a CD album with a klezmer band. The winds were recorded with a Neumann M149 tube LCD and a Beyer M260, to two tracks.

I let the player decide which of the sounds he liked best and his choice was the M260.

Last saturday I had a session with a band and eleven vocalists. The band was recorded in one room at once, with the lead vocals in a booth. The choir was recorded as an overdub, all together at once, sound of the band on the trackingroom monitors.

But, when the band was tracking, the bandleader preferred to do some percussion, together with the band (drums, bass, guitar and keyboards) in the same room. We're talking shakers, eggs and tamborine.

So I've tried a couple of LDC's and SDC's, wrong choice, way too much bleed. So I tried an MD441 and an M88 but didn't like the sound.

So an M260 left the closet and that was absolutely stunning, a very nice sound and very little bleed that also sounded very nice.

Bottom line: ribbons are awesome mics.

As for LDC tube mics: I really like the MXL V77 very much, it sounds pretty Neumann like for a fraction of the cost, but unfortunately they are discontinued. If you can find one in good order, get it.

• Members

Han, thanks a bunch for your observations! Cool stories and applications.

So I've got to ask, if you could only own one Beyer ribbon, which one would it be?

Possible uses, occational voices, drum/percussion, acoustic stringed instruments, sax and maybe a guitar amp...

• Members

Originally posted by D Charles

Han, thanks a bunch for your observations! Cool stories and applications.

So I've got to ask, if you could only own one Beyer ribbon, which one would it be?

Possible uses, occational voices, drum/percussion, acoustic stringed instruments, sax and maybe a guitar amp...

That's a tough one David, depends on which mics you already own.

I'm thinking of the M88, which is a great kick, vocal, snare, guitar cab, acoustic guitar and many more applications microphone, but a little hot for saxophone and horns. On guitar cabs the M88 is absolutely great, very tight sound and on distorted guitars many times my favorite mic.

But if you already own a really nice dynamic, my choice would be the Beyer ribbon, for these are so great on saxophone, horns, acoustic guitar, percussion, drums OH, acoustic (upright) bass and many, many more applications. It would not be my first choice on vocals tho, but ribbons are so smooth and creamy, so very rejective and they have an exellent off axis response.

I own them both, two M88's and three M260's (the very old ones), but that's pure luxery. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Han

Beyer mics are underestimated, the M201, the M88 are wonderful mics. The M130/160/260/500 are brigter sounding ribbons and they are simply great mics.

The original M260 is not bright sounding even as ribbons go, still a damn nice mic if it's sound works with your source.

I haven't used the M260.8 but as I understand it this newer version has a whole lot of low end cut out of it but the top end is still similar to the old M260.

With digital recording you don't necessarily need a bright condenser to cut through like you did with tape. The Beyer ribbons are way overlooked by people buying all kinds of large diaphragm condensers and then complaining about them not being warm sounding.

• Members

Thanks Han, I've actually got a bunch of dynamics around but never had my hands or voice/instruments or ears on a ribbon. I think I wanna start with a Beyer just because I could possibly actually afford one and I don't really trust the ones made in Communist China. At least not yet.

JM350, the literature states that the newer M260 has a bass roll off switch so you can get in close without the bass or switch it out for more distant micing.

Archived