Which mic should I get as my FIRST condenser???

• Members

Hi. I have been using that old 57 for years now, and I decided it was time to get a condenser mic. Please keep in mind that I know NOTHING about condensers except for the fact that they are more sensative and better for recording then a standard mic.

I have narrowed my options down to the following mics:

MXL 2006

MXL 770

MXL V67g

MXL V67i

MXL V57M

Please let me know which of these you think would be best for my first condenser mic AND WHY. I hope to use it mainly for recording rock vocals, but also some rock guitars. Thank you.

P.S. - I also posted this in the recording forum. Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to get input from as many people as possible.

• Members

AKG C414B-ULS. Around $500 used, and the most versatile mic going IMHO. The MXL stuff is ok, but won't hold a candle to a 414, and, unlike the MXL's, will hold it's value for a very, very long time.

If you must buy on the cheap, I'd recommend the Studio Project B1 or C1, the only mics in their range IMHO worth using.

• Members

Originally posted by Warhead

CAD M179

By far the best value in an entry level condensor mic around.

Features wise, there is nothing it won't do.

The sound is very good also.

War

I think I am going to get one of those this month. I need a good LD mic I can take to live sound gigs that won't break the bank if it gets dropped, rained on, etc. And the M179 just looks like a good deal.

That said, how come most of the M179's don't come with a shock mount, while there are package deals for the mic new from Ebay sellers that have the shock mount and pop screen included?

The lack of a shock mount seems to be a common problem with the mic since it has such good low end pickup.

Warren, know any retailers that have the mic, shockmount and pop screen deal? (clears throat).. Two weeks, ready to buy.

I was going to get it this week, but I just scored an AT 4047 for $300.

• Moderators

I agree that if you can swing a used 414, that's the way to go. They sound very good on... everything. You've got the ability to change the patterns as well which can be an eye opening learning experience.

Use it as a great mono drum overhead

Use it as a great ambience guitar amp mic

Lead Vocal

BG's in 8

BG's in O

BG's in cardiod

It sounds fantasic on snare shell

Acoustic guitar

Try it in onmi in a big room on tamborine from at least 4 feet away.

:thu:

• Members

I appreciate the insight, but for now, a used mic is out of the question. Please don't lecture me on the virtues of used mics, I know they're great, but I'll be getting this as a present and the buyer will only buy NEW. For the purposes of this post, please limit your responses to new mics in the

• Members

Originally posted by TeRM

I appreciate the insight, but for now, a used mic is out of the question. Please don't lecture me on the virtues of used mics, I know they're great, but I'll be getting this as a present and the buyer will only buy NEW. For the purposes of this post, please limit your responses to new mics in the

AT 2020 is getting good reviews. $100.

• Members

I can't quite recommend this yet since I haven't used it, but the Avenson STO-2 omni mics are getting rave reviews, especially from the TapeOp crowd (the boards). Got a really good review in the magazine itself as well. I just bought it from Mercenary Audio (who don't carry junk), and am gonna give 'em a tryout this weekend for drums and other stuff. They're a bit like the Earthworks mics (look like sphincterphones, omni, fast transient response, bodies are resistant to sympathetic resonances, etc.) but are a fraction of the price.

Other "cheap" but good stuff to look into would include the AT2020 (which I technically can't recommend either since I haven't used it, but have been getting strong reviews) and the Rode NTK, which I have used and is a very good mic.

~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, y'know, I just saw the last bit where you said it should be sub-$150, so only pay attention to the AT2020 part of my post. I'll leave the rest of the info up in case it helps anyone else.

• Members

You Know , I must agree that MXL has struck upon a great Idea With the 67i. When you consider how many places won't allow you to return mic's now(health code??? How about those used neumans you're selling in the case over there?) It's a wonderfull Idea.

Great review ( said in a most patronizing, if boot licking fashion) ( jeeze, what a suck up CLOWN:rolleyes: )

• Members

Originally posted by flatfinger

You Know , I must agree that MXL has struck upon a great Idea With the 67i. When you consider how many places won't allow you to return mic's now(health code??? How about those used neumans you're selling in the case over there?) It's a wonderfull Idea.

Great review ( said in a most patronizing, if boot licking fashion) ( jeeze, what a suck up CLOWN:rolleyes: )

What an excellent observation! Dealers sell used mics all the time, but won't take back a new one that you used / tried out for an hour on an acoustic guitar... what's up with THAT?

Harmonicas? Sax reeds? Sure - I can understand that. But a LD condenser? :confused:

• Members

As some of you may know, I own a Neumann M149 and use this mic as a reference for all LDC's I stumble upon.

The SP B1 is a nice mic for the $, but what really comes close to the M149 is the MXL V77, a great mic that onfortunately has been discontinued.

If you can find a V77 in good working order, get it.

BTW: there ain't not such a thing as a mic that sounds best on everything.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

I somewhat dissagree, Best is a subjective opinion, but IMHO an AKG C414B-ULS sounds good on everything.

I have rented two 414's a while ago, didn't like them at all.

Sorry.

• Members

I've never known any competent engineer who didn't have the highest regard for 414's. They are the SM57 of LDC's, and every studio has them, and every studio uses them regular as clockwork on drum overheads, percussion, brass and reeds, vocals, etc.

I'd say it was more likely you wer not placing the mic properly, had it set wrong or had a bad recoridng chain.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

I've never known any competent engineer who didn't have the highest regard for 414's. They are the SM57 of LDC's, and every studio has them, and every studio uses them regular as clockwork on drum overheads, percussion, brass and reeds, vocals, etc.

I'd say it was more likely you wer not placing the mic properly, had it set wrong or had a bad recoridng chain.

That must be the main reason, I don't like the SM57 either. :D

I found them a little flat sounding, not very exiting (the 414).

My point however was that there ain't no mic that sounds great on everything. Even a U47 can suck on a certain application.

Funny though is that the band of Lee Flier preferred the V77 over the M149 on Lyle's voice. And you can trust me, the M149 is a great mic that sounds great on almost everything, but not on Lyle's voice. :D

• Members

There's a lot of variations on the 414's design. For instance, I've never heard one that sounds "flat". The ones I've heard sound rather forward. Some of them sound great, and others sound awful. It just depends on which version 414 you use, but they are often useful on a variety of instruments (versatile), more so than many other mics.

Other mics that is really versatile on a lot of different instuments are the Sennheiser 421MD and the beyerdynamic M201. Like the 414, they won't sound great on every single application, but they are all extremely versatile, more so than most other mics.

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Limiting myself only to your suggestions, I would recommend the MXL V67i, due to its flexibility. I'd forget about the V67g; it's not going to be my choice - not when the V67i gives you the same sound plus an additional "flavor".

Phil...Good review. I am intrigued by that mic now. Have you had an oportunity to test any other mxl mics? If so, are any others a worth while consideration when shopping for inexpesive LDC's?

Thanks.

Archived