So I got contacted by an A&R firm...

• Members

Apparently they want to license and distribute my music by promotions and submissions. I said okay fine, tell me more. A rep calls me on the phone and tells me that he thinks my music is fantastic and is definitely eligible for radio and video airplay. He tells me his firm has been known to launch artists not only to become local celebrities but also be able to launch airplay on MTV and MTV2.

My question is...the firm is asking $299 for 6 months of promotion. I'm really not sure if this is the great deal they make it out to be, but from what I can tell their artists' success rate is very high.

here's their myspace

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cf...iendid=43463727

tell me what you think...

• Members

Give me a bunch of money and I'll make you famous.

No I'm serious... give ME a bunch of money and I'll make you famous.

Convincing?

No?

You know at least as much about me as you know about them (aside from what THEY have told you, anyhow).

I'm not saying that you shouldn't pay for valuable services rendered.

But I AM saying that this is one of the oldest scams going (third-oldest, I believe after the badger game and... politics).

IF you hook up with some music promo service provider find out EXACTLY what your money will buy you and how you will be able to ascertain that you DID, indeed, get what you thought you were getting, whether or not that makes you famous.

IOW, caveat emptor, baby. Bigtime.

• Members

id have to agree with blue2blue

an A&R firm? hmmmm

if they can make you famous and you can make big money they'd take a percentage. if they can't but want you to think they can, they charge a fee. at least from what ive seen.

what are they investing in this? nothing. sound like some flyers will go up and ATTEMPTS to get you airplay will be made.

if they can do all of the things you mentioned for $300 for 6 months why wouldnt they pay up front and take a percentage for years to come? afterall they're the one helping you make lots of money and become a big star right?

but hey...its your money. some like drugs, some like gambling, some like collecting weird ass figurines. and some even like paying "A&R firms".

btw, am i the only one who's never even heard of an A&R firm?

• Members

As I wrote in the other thread (or maybe it was this thread, but my comment was deleted), it's a scam - don't waste your time or money.

The only somewhat legit service I know of that helps hook up artist/writers with people looking for original music and asks the artist for money (as a "membership" fee) is TAXI.

If the people that contacted you have a link that doesn't work, that should be your first clue.

Originally posted by zeronyne

Do they have a client list?

A mailing address?

A website?

Referencable clients?

Written marketing and legal collateral?

Yup. :)

Start with the references and NAMES of clients they have broken. If they can't provide you with names and proof of their previous successes, and names of people you can directly contact for testimonials, then look elsewhere.

$300 for six months of promotion is WAY underpriced in the world of "real" promotional firms. The link doesn't work, but my nose is already telling me "beware".

• Members

Is that A&R Select? Because if it is, they contacted my band over the summer. Don't fall for any of it. They say they submit your music to labels, and for placement in movies/TV/etc but did you ever to go to their official website (assuming it was, the official site is www.arselect.com) and look at all the services they offer? It's almost laughable. For example, at the bottom of the page they have a section on Booking and Touring services. $150 to book ONE gig at the non member price?! or $75 if you are a member, but still, thats ridiculous. Also, I will tell you right now, a major label is the last thing you would ever want to be signed to right now. Read this article if you haven't heard about it before: http://negativland.com/albini.html

My best advice to give you is to copyright all of your material, register with ASCAP, and look into some digital distributors. There are over 100 million people on the internet EVERYDAY, and each one of the has the potential of hearing your song(s). There are tons of digital distributors out there that all do different deals so what you choose is up to you but the most important thing to ask any of them is exclusivity. The reason for that is, if you sign an exclusive digital distribution deal, you won't be able to sign with anyone else (obvious). So when the Myspace music store launches and you have an exclusive deal with X distributor, even though you have X thousand friends with X thousand plays on your band's Myspace page, (if you have one) if anyone who lives 2 thousand miles from you wants your song, they'll have to get it from a different online retailer. But that's not to say that digital distributors are out there to screw you like the company that contacted you, Exclusivity in distribution deals are always something to watch out for. Just do a google search for "Digital Distribution" and look into a few.

Sorry I went way off topic here but I hope this helps you out.

• Members

I expect that this is the same as those modeling agencies that, for a fee, will asses a girls qualifications and "get her started if she has the stuff". Real agencies work on spec - they groom the talent and sell them, and reap the rewards - a percentage of the take - if they made a good choice.

• Members

Since when does anyone pay? It doesnt work that way.. If they are really interested they pay u (of course after everyone else gets their share first). If it even gets off the ground.

Its a bunch of crap!

I agree with blue2blue hehe, pay me too!! waaahooo!

• Members

Taxi dont guarantee u nothin, but if they like it will put u in the right direction but still no guarantees.... they also have services u can get into by being a member, where real people are looking for material and so on... u pay to submit each song, just like song contest.

But you dont pay by the month, taxi is 300. i'm not sure if u pay one time mebership or renew yrly? i dont remember. Broadjam is like that too...