Kent Armstrong P-90 review

dazed1

• Members

Alright, I just finished replacing the pickups in my Schecter C1 Artist with two KA P90 pickups (the humbucker sized replacements) After playing them to the wee hours of the morning I have come to some conclusions. My Les Paul still rulz for high gain and crunch. The cleans on my Strat are still sound really badass. So why all the P90 love? Well, here are my impressions:

1.) The cleans on them are really good. I still like the strat a little better, but the cleans on these P90s are "deeper" while being almost as defined. (this can be a really good thing depending on what you are going for)

2.) The distortion is just rude. Again, sorta like the strat except it has more balls to it. Snarls a bit like a telecaster bridge pup. Just kinda petulant sounding. (one more time, this can be a very good thing if that is the sound you are looking for)

All this being said if I had to pick one guitar I can honestly say it would not have P90s in it. They are good, just a bit limited IMHO. This is not to say I do not like the way they sound -cause I do- I just think they have a very particular sound. Maybe after I play with them a bit more I will get some more variety from them.

• Members

That is why you need multiple guitars. I have an LP with P90's and an LP with Humbuckers. I have a Telecaster with P90's and a Telecaster with single coils. Plus it gives you a great excuse to buy more guitars, what could be better than that?

• Members

I use an SG Classic for high gain. But that is what I am looking for and that is with Gibson P90s. Big, fat, fuzzy, wide open distortion -- the Gibson wouldn't be described as rude either. Articulation not required. When I need to tame it a bit I use a fuzz or overdrive stomp box to tweak the signal a bit and I can rope that wide open distortion into something less wide open.

Archived