I seriously need better pickups

mr.sosa

• Members

Have you ever played a gibson sg faded?

it feels great to play but it doesn't sound too good, the wood is good but the pickups are the problem, I'm gonna have to change them...

i've been thinking of buying:

seymour duncan jb/jazz

or

emg 85/81

i'm going more for the seymour because they do better cleans and vintage stuff.

what do you guys think? can you recomend me either one or some other setup maybe?

• Members

these aren't the same the standards have

i've tried standards and they sound different... they look different too

yes.. my sound taste is different from everybody elses'... lets see... i like classic rock (led zeppelin, pink floyd, black sabbath, etc.) and progressive/ heavy metal (dream theater, opeth, megadeth)

no, its not my boss pedals... in fact i like the sound with the sd-1 better than straight in

ok, but... what about these kent armstrongs?

why do u like 'em man?

• Members

Originally posted by mr.sosa

Have you ever played a gibson sg faded?

it feels great to play but it doesn't sound too good, the wood is good but the pickups are the problem, I'm gonna have to change them...

i've been thinking of buying:

seymour duncan jb/jazz

or

emg 85/81

i'm going more for the seymour because they do better cleans and vintage stuff.

what do you guys think? can you recomend me either one or some other setup maybe?

The notion that EMGs dont' do cleans is BS......get a 60 for the neck and either an 85 or 81 in the bridge and you'll have amazing cleans.

• Members

these aren't the same the standards have

i've tried standards and they sound different... they look different too

yes.. my sound taste is different from everybody elses'... lets see... i like classic rock (led zeppelin, pink floyd, black sabbath, etc.) and progressive/ heavy metal (dream theater, opeth, megadeth)

no, its not my boss pedals... in fact i like the sound with the sd-1 better than straight in

ok, but... what about these kent armstrongs?

why do u like 'em man?

Great bang for the buck pickups! I had a set in my Ibanez Artcore and then re-did my Warmoth for the third and last time to configure it like a Robin Ranger with a twist. I started selling them after I put the set in my Warmoth which was about six months after I had put the set in my Artcore. And more recently I have re-done my tele with a set of the Armstrong Tele pickups.

I have sold a bunch of their pickups to other HC Forum members and have yet to have anyone give me any negative feedback on these products. I have also assembled a few dozen pre-wired pickguard assemblies with various Kent Armstrong pickups, including some of the cheaper ceramic magnet based models and all of them have sounded great for the price and very comparable to the bigger names that cost considerably more.

redhotmama4.jpg

warmothstratafter2.jpg

frankentele2.jpg

• Members

I'd go with one of these 3 choices.

Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers

Gibson '57 Classics

Gibson Burstbucker 1 & 2 combo

All three can do classic sweet vintage PAF tones and yet can still rock with clarity when you add the gain.

• Members

$100 per pickup... but i'd really like to spend less..

i checked out the sd website.. and about those seth lovers, it says they work better for maple and ebony fingerboards... mine is mahogany body with rosewood fingerboard.. and it says it doesn't do too good with high gain tube amps. so i doubt those will work good with my guitar.

those kent armstrongs look cool :thu:

how do they sound? got clips? or a description?

emg 60? i've never tried it... i'll check those out

• Members

$100 per pickup... but i'd really like to spend less..

i checked out the sd website.. and about those seth lovers, it says they work better for maple and ebony fingerboards... mine is mahogany body with rosewood fingerboard.. and it says it doesn't do too good with high gain tube amps. so i doubt those will work good with my guitar.

those kent armstrongs look cool
:thu:
how do they sound? got clips? or a description?

emg 60? i've never tried it... i'll check those out

They sound awesome! If they didn't, I wouldn't have kept the set in my Artcore or installed them into two of my other guitars! I don't have any clips unfortunately. I do have descriptions of most of them on my website and any I don't have listed are described at WD Music's website.

• Members

Originally posted by vintage clubber

They sound awesome! If they didn't, I wouldn't have kept the set in my Artcore or installed them into two of my other guitars! I don't have any clips unfortunately. I do have descriptions of most of them on my website and any I don't have listed are described at WD Music's website.

allright.. i'll check the website out!

• Members

I have a SG Faded also. It has a 490 in the bridge. I played my friends SG Standard and like the sound much better than my Faded. I think I'm going going swap the 490 with a 498, which is what the Standard has.

I Have Kent Armstrong PU's in my Agile LP, the 214/215 combo, and they sound great. Last week someone posted a clip of themselvs playing some AC/DC with those pickups. Do a search if you want an idea of how they sound.

I actually just got a Hamer SATF on the Bay, and I'm thinking about the Kent Armstrong Hot Rod Vintage for the Bridge on that one. I figure I'll order them through VC's web site, he seem to be very helpfull when people have questions about KA pickups, might as well give him the business.

• Members

Originally posted by lastcall

I have a SG Faded also. It has a 490 in the bridge. I played my friends SG Standard and like the sound much better than my Faded. I think I'm going going swap the 490 with a 498, which is what the Standard has.

I Have Kent Armstrong PU's in my Agile LP, the 214/215 combo, and they sound great. Last week someone posted a clip of themselvs playing some AC/DC with those pickups. Do a search if you want an idea of how they sound.

I actually just got a Hamer SATF on the Bay, and I'm thinking about the Kent Armstrong Hot Rod Vintage for the Bridge on that one. I figure I'll order them through VC's web site, he seem to be very helpfull when people have questions about KA pickups, might as well give him the business.

Thank you! Yeah, the M214K/M215K ceramic magnet pickups are incredible sounding for the price! I put together a loaded pickguard for JoeBoy with that set and I was amazed at the tone!

The Hot Rod Vintage is basically a poor man's JB hence the model # WPUJB. I have installed one on a pickguard and sold several others. It's a great sounding pickup and very versatile!

JoeBoyDoubleFat3.jpg

• Members

better cleans and a more vintage tone........

check out www.highorderpickups.com. My buddy owns an Epi with a Custom 5 and 59 and he also has a LP Custom from the 70's. After taking my Agile around the block with the High Orders he immediately traded a few emails with Jeff at High Order and placed an order to replace his Epi pickups.

• Members

Originally posted by frankenbich

My favorites would be DiMarzio PAF @ the neck and a super distortion @ the bridge.

tell me more about those dimarzios.. someone told me they are like emgs but passive

must be really high output right?

• Members

bump..

anyway if i go for the jb/jazz setup but buy one like 3 months before the other, which one do you suggest i get first?

which one will do better on its own? im thinking the jb but.. i don't know really

• Members

Originally posted by powerplayj

check out
www.highorderpickups.com.
My buddy owns an Epi with a Custom 5 and 59 and he also has a LP Custom from the 70's. After taking my Agile around the block with the High Orders he immediately traded a few emails with Jeff at High Order and placed an order to replace his Epi pickups.

i'm gonna have to second that, haven't tried them, but from my experience with handwound pickups, they're bound to be better than duncans etc.

:thu:

Archived