Advice on drum micing

• Members

Hi,

i'm a tech student currently building a small recording setup. I'm at the buying my mics stage and am after some advice. I've chosen most of them already but I'm a little stuck on my drum setup.

Whenever i've recorded drums i've always used - C1000s as overheads, PG56s on the toms, a D112 for the kick and sm57s on the snare.

Rather than me just blindly sticking to what i know i thought i'd ask here first. So, anybody have any suggestions for alternatives to any of the above. I'm looking to keep it in a similar price bracket

Thanks

Will

• Members

Hi,

i'm a tech student currently building a small recording setup. I'm at the buying my mics stage and am after some advice. I've chosen most of them already but I'm a little stuck on my drum setup.

Whenever i've recorded drums i've always used - C1000s as overheads, PG56s on the toms, a D112 for the kick and sm57s on the snare.

Rather than me just blindly sticking to what i know i thought i'd ask here first. So, anybody have any suggestions for alternatives to any of the above. I'm looking to keep it in a similar price bracket

Thanks

Will

I would replace the c1000s with....pretty much anything. AT4041's, groove tubes GT33's and Oktava MC012's are popular choices along with Samson CO2's and Shure SM81's. All are nice, find the ones that suit your budget,

I would get more 57's and get rid of the Pg's as well. PG mics are useless. D112 is a very 90's sound. But very useable. People around here like the Beta52 on kick. I do. sounds good to me.

That will get you a nice sound.

Other people might suggest not micing the toms and going with a room mic. This works great too. In fact, most of the time I record drums with no tom mics. Just 2 overheads, kick, snare, and if I add anything the first thing added is a room mic. Next i add tom mics, or a LDC in omni below the snare for bottom snare/beater. But I'm weird like that.

• Members

Sounds to me like you could use some 421's.

They are great for toms and especially Kik.

The 421 is a fantastic kik mike, so many people seem to over look it for "KIK mikes".

That said, i have been using the Audix "Kik" mike with great success lately.

If you want to get serious about the kik sound you need a mike outside of it as well, check out the AEA R92.

For overheads the octava 012's are cool but they sound sort of soft, in a nice way, but they just have that sound. It is a cheap way to have another option at your disposal and they are usful for may things, even vocals.

I know a guy who uses them as the Bluegrass mike(the one all the freaks gather round when they solo :)). And this guy is a serious bluegrasser with some expensive microphones!

I think to get into Good oH's is gonna cost you some serious coin.

I have some 414b uls's that i like for OHs's. They have excellent transient response and don't make the cymbals harsh if they are put into the right pre, and they are relatively cheap to get ($400-500 used).

Heil PR-40's are another mike that is new and not often mentioned.

They are good for toms, snare and kik although they may require a bit of EQ.

Also vocals and acoustic guitar, and they are cheap.

Something about the the dynamics of how they pick up the sound is real cool.

• Members

Get creative! Put lots of mics in different positions! In the past I've used SM58's as overheads before - if you know where the drums are wanting to go sonically, take risks to get there via miking rather than endless processing ;) - I've always learned something from doing that.

• Members

Check out the Samson CO2's for overheads. Don't let the low cost fool you, they sound amazing, IMHO way better than C1000's, which are IMHO rather brittle sounding.

Get a good LDC for a room mic, preferably one that has an omni mode. Work on position of OH and room mics to capture the entire kit, and you'll find you don't need tom mics. Add your D112 and maybe a 57 to the kick and snare if needed.

A good room with good mics positioned right on a good sounding kit can yield a killer drum sound with minimal mics. More mics mean more potential phase and other issues. YMMV.

• Members

this is all grand advice, thank you everyone.

I'll definitely check out the CO2's, anything that'll keep my costs down will be perfect.

Most of the music i'll be recording will be quite drum orientated. In the past i've found i've needed the separation from micing the toms but i'll put them to the back of the list and try the SE Z5600a as a room mic instead. I've got one for vox anyway so that wouldn't cost any extra. If i'm happy with it then you guys will have saved me a bit of cash:D

Archived