Today's foreign-made guitars vs. yesterday's USA-made guitars

• Members

As a matter of fact, I have my eye on a 76 Explorer w/ a natural finish. However, if I found the same body style, same/similar wood, w/ similar tonal characteristics in a foreign job, I'd buy it instead.

Why? I hope you're not one of the people who is bashing our government and industries for 'allowing jobs to go overseas'.

There's a cost (not price, but cost) issue which nobody seems to have raised yet in this thread. When you use Chinese or Korean labor, the company doesn't have to pay the HUGE tax burden that is required here in the USA.

By the time an American worker gets $100, the company has actually paid out well over $200; the rest goes to payroll taxes, unemployment insurance, health and insurance benefits, federal and local income taxes, etc.

The same $100 net to the worker in China costs the company more like $120.

Even if the parts are the exact same, from the same source (and they often aren't), the same labor will not cost as much in China/Korea - regardless of the quality of the resulting product.

Here's the problem, though: when you decide to buy Chinese instead of US, either our taxes will go up, our benefits will decrease, or we will run bigger deficits (what's happening now).

Sooner or later, we will have to pay the piper. You can't have it both ways.....

That said, of my two primary guitars, one is American-made, and the other is Japanese. Both are over 20 years old........

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Originally posted by Bbreaker

The best Gibson Les Paul; 335; 175 or SG is still light years ahead

of any Asian import that resembles that particular model it clones.

why is this true--? I think this is an opinion but if you can back it up with specific facts go ahead.

• Members

Originally posted by evh1984

I don't think I get the point of what this guy is trying to prove.

I'm not trying to "prove" anything other than this:

MANY (not all) of today's foreign made guitars are on par both tonally and craftsmanship-wise as many of yesterday's USA made guitars and many of today's USA made guitars.

Not for nothing, but you are trying to "prove" something. That statement above reads like a thesis paper. It's certainly not something you can just throw around and expect people to swallow. It's far too black-and-white to be a "true" statement and is based on no factual evidence.

So, if you aren't trying to "prove" it, I think you better start trying. Otherwise, it's just another poopie statement about nothing.

I'm still not getting your point. I think that most people know that Asian imports are awfully close to thier American counterparts, but that it's a hit-and-miss situation on both ends.

So, what is your point? Did you start this thread to just say that? Because it's been said 9 million times around here.

• Members

So, what is your point? Did you start this thread to just say that? Because it's been said 9 million times around here

As you can see from my # of posts, I haven't been around here long. If it's such a dead issue, it sure is getting alot of attention. If you've already read it 9 million times elsewhere all you have to do is disregard this post and go back to practicing your guitar.

• Members

Well, I ain't reading all this crap but I'll say thing.. Quality is quality, regardless of where it comes from. I don't currently own any American made guitars, but I have in the past and they were quite good. But, the imports that I now own are also quite good, some even better than the American stuff I've had before. I figure, as long as the guitar I'm holding in my hands feels like I want it, looks like I want it and sounds like I want it, that's all that matters to me. The whole argument about American jobs doesn't enter into my thoughts when I'm shopping for a guitar. No one I know works for Fender, Gibson or anyone else, so they're not going to lose a job over my Ibanez purchase.

• Members

So, what is your point? Did you start this thread to just say that? Because it's been said 9 million times around here

As you can see from my # of posts, I haven't been around here long. If it's such a dead issue, it sure is getting alot of attention. If you've already read it 9 million times elsewhere all you have to do is disregard this post and go back to practicing your guitar.

The point of being a member of a forum, to me, is to learn things that I don't know. There are a lot of things I don't knwo. When a topic appeals to me, I read it and decide if I can add anything to the conversation.

At this point I can tell that this thread is going nowhere, and that your reasoning is fractured, so I'm speaking my piece.

If that's okay with you.

Look man, I'm just trying to have a good discussion and help you flesh out your thought process. These threads are all supposed to (in theory) investigate a topic, or answer a question.

This one is just like a closed statement. If you're not willing to discuss it logically with other members of the forum, then post it somewhere where you'll hear no opinions.

I'm going to start a thread re: blue pants now!

• Members

If you're not willing to discuss it logically with other members of the forum, then post it somewhere where you'll hear no opinions.

You think the guys on up the borad who stooped to quite vivid descriptions of animal sex, name calling, etc are LOGICAL???

• Members

I think it's more of a national pride thing to admit that today's "cheapie" foreign made guitars assembled from the same stuff as their US counterparts sound as good as the US made guitars. I know there are some quality control issues w/ some foreign made guitars, but usually they're minor. Awwww...sand your own frets!

I can't help but believe Chinese alder sounds the same as USA alder. I can't help believe that a Chinese maple neck sounds the same as a USA maple neck. I can't help but believe Chinese Gotoh tuners stay in tune for as long as USA made Gotoh tuners. I will give the USA made pickups the thumbs up, but the foreign pickups are easily and cost affordably replaced w/ Duncans or Dimarzios w/ the money you saved buying the Agile, etc.

I work for a Fortune-ranked US company that's been producing luxury goods and accessories for the past 65 years. In 2001 we went public and moved our factories to China. Many panned us and said we were selling out. Today we are the WORLD'S largest and most recognized name in luxury accessories. Guess what? Our quality has never waivered. The product we make today, sewn by Chinese sewing machines and stiched by Chinese thread is the same quality, if not better, than the hand sewn Made in the USA product we put out 25 years ago.

I feel it's the same with guitars. If you have someone with high quality control standards, believing in the product they're presenting, who cares where it's made? That's just the way it is w/ business these days. I'd prefer my instruments be made here in the USA...but those days are going and are by and large gone. I simply can't afford USA made guitars.

After all my rambling let me put it this way: My Chinese OLP MM1F (pickups upgraded) sounds as good if not better than your USA Gibson Les Paul.

The difference is I saved $1,000.

Firstly, though you do seem a little condescending at times, I think you do make some legitimate points. This is always an issue that starts a firestorm, and I have seen some forumites that took a strong position in the past swayed enough to venture to the other side for a specialty guitar.

However, I do think your initial premise is flawed a little. Though the introduction of CNC machines has evened out the playing field a little, the sewing analogy just doesn't hold water. Foreign guitars particularly at the price point you reference (OLP) are not made with the same high quality components as their American counterparts. Even buying some of the higher-end imports is a hit or miss proposition in the quality components area. Electronics, pots, lower grade alloys used for frets and screws, stamped tuning gears, hard plastic nuts are all areas that will wear much faster than the American counterpart and cause problems down the road. That's not taking into account the tonewood issue (although all American guitars are not created equally in this dept. either). (I wouldn't buy any high-end American made guitar without a test-drive.)

I own some higher-end imports that I'm very pleased with, and I believe comparable to my Americans, but based on experience, buying import is a hit or miss proposition IMO.

• Members

If you're not willing to discuss it logically with other members of the forum, then post it somewhere where you'll hear no opinions.

You think the guys on up the borad who stooped to quite vivid descriptions of animal sex, name calling, etc are LOGICAL???

Please re-read your posts. You insult people for being of a certain nationality. You then question the credibility of the musicians here, and that makes you wonder about the response you get in return?

Oh, and as far as your original posts, it had some credibility up until the point where you had to lace it with your own inferiority issues about the gear you own. As well as the condescending nature of your other posts, like insinuating that the guys in the "current rigs" post arent gigging musicians, etc. Have a nice day:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by dimmypage

why is this true--? I think this is an opinion but if you can back it up with specific facts go ahead.

Sit down with a Gibson ES 175 and one of those Ibanez Artcore jazzers that looks like a 175.

Your ears will know the difference.

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

lol... well when I joined there were no Avatars yet... plus I'm actualy a chemist, I finish my first degree in a month or so, then I stay to get my honours specializations over the next two years..... I thought Alchemist would be a good word play over chemist... which sounds boring:( lol

"Chemist" sounds like a guy in an ice cream suit and horn-rimmed glasses who dispenses prescriptions.:wave:

"Alchemist" sounds like Saruman the Wise. :cool:

Saruman.jpg