PGMusic Powertracks Pro Audio as DAW?

• Members

Anyone out there use PGMusic Powertracks Pro Audio as their DAW? Just wondering how that would work out...

It's a soundcard-based DAW, so I was wondering, with a top 'o the line soundcard and top 'o the line computer speakers, would the results be decent in comparison to a hardware interface-based DAW? :confused:

• Members

Anyone out there use PGMusic Powertracks Pro Audio as their DAW? Just wondering how that would work out...

It's a soundcard-based DAW, so I was wondering, with a top 'o the line soundcard and top 'o the line computer speakers, would the results be decent in comparison to a hardware interface-based DAW?
:confused:

I have Powertracks Pro Audio, but must admit I have not spent any real time using it. I got it because it was really inexpensive..$25, and had MIDI implementation that my normal Adobe Audition does not. But... I haven't taken the time to get it set up properly yet and it doesn't seem to recognize all my audio I/O properly.

However, the "results" would be the same as any other audio software regardless of cost. Ease of use, feature set, plug ins, etc. are really what is different from program to program.

• Members

It's a soundcard-based DAW, so I was wondering, with a top 'o the line soundcard and top 'o the line computer speakers, would the results be decent in comparison to a hardware interface-based DAW?

Well I've had it laying around for years, version 8 and didn't even know i had it. Read some good stuff about it on homerecording.com and looked over at my software titles on my bookshelf and there it was, version 8. I upgraded to version 11 for 29.00 US and am just using it for backing tracks and composing and such so far. Still learning it bit it seems really easy to use with a very simple interface. I have a feeling there's more under the hood than meets the eye. So far I'm pretty impressed by its quality soundwise and for the price it simply can't be beat. Besides it's a Cakewalk item so it has to be good ...

Let you know more about it when I get more familiar with all the options!

Gabriel

• Members

Well I've had it laying around for years, version 8 and didn't even know i had it. Read some good stuff about it on homerecording.com and looked over at my software titles on my bookshelf and there it was, version 8. I upgraded to version 11 for 29.00 US and am just using it for backing tracks and composing and such so far. Still learning it bit it seems really easy to use with a very simple interface. I have a feeling there's more under the hood than meets the eye. So far I'm pretty impressed by its quality soundwise and for the price it simply can't be beat. Besides it's a Cakewalk item so it has to be good ...

Let you know more about it when I get more familiar with all the options!

Gabriel

Soundtracks is a Cakewalk program?

I didn't realize Cakewalk owned PG Music. If that is the case, then Power Tracks is the FIRST "Cakewalk" program I have been able to get to work properly on my computer since Cakewalk Pro 7.

• Members

You might want to check out the PGMusic Powertracks (and other) forums:

http://www.pgmusic.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

• Members

Thanks, everyone, for the replies.

Lucky #9, I'm already on that forum with my alter-ego Leovigild.

Right now I'm gathering all the specs for a dedicated music computer I'm having built. I'm still undecided between a separate hardware interface-based system, or a souncard-based system. Maybe I'll go for both in one system. But since I already have PowerTracks, why should I spend more dough on another DAW?

So I'm weighing the cost differential between the two types of systems.

I didn't know Cakewalk owned PGMusic either.

• Members

Well, I've been messing with this program for a week now (version 11). I have friends that own pro tools, cakewalk, cubase etc and right now I'm getting just as good quality recordings with this and in some cases more features than programs that cost 10 times as much. Plus it's sooooo easy to use.

One of my friends came over that has pro tools on his Mac, has never heard of this program and was completely blown away by it. He actually asked me how how much dough this put me in the hole for...lol.

Great program...highly recommend it!

• Members

Well, I've been messing with this program for a week now (version 11). I have friends that own pro tools, cakewalk, cubase etc and right now I'm getting just as good quality recordings with this and in some cases more features than programs that cost 10 times as much. Plus it's sooooo easy to use.

That's the most important thing in the end. If you can get to the good stuff - recordin' the music and have it sound good - then that's what matters. Who cares what it is as long as it does its job and sounds good.

The stuff that comes before the sound hits the DAW - musicians, room, instruments, engineering, arrangements/song, mics, mic preamps, converters, etc. - all make a greater impact on the sonic quality of the recording than the DAW does anyway, in my opinion.

• Members

That's the most important thing in the end. If you can get to the good stuff - recordin' the music and have it sound good - then that's what matters. Who cares what it is as long as it does its job and sounds good.

The stuff that comes
before
the sound hits the DAW - musicians, room, instruments, engineering, arrangements/song, mics, mic preamps, converters, etc. - all make a greater impact on the sonic quality of the recording than the DAW does anyway, in my opinion.

I believe all these software programs do EXACTLY the same thing regardless of cost. IMO the final result in getting a good recording comes down to using a high quality sound card and YOUR EARS !

Archived